Got a Muntjac this morning... and maybe a medal?

Jason Page

Went out early. Conditions perfect. Wandering along at first light towards what I hoped might prove a promising spot. Bumped a deer - which I didn't see but which I did hear jump in a bramble thicket. Set up my sticks, chambered a round. Gave three gentle squeaks using the Buttalo. Waited. Gave three more calls. And looked who wandered into view.

He was about 60-70 yards out and facing towards me at a slight angle (like a clock hand at 7 mins past the hour). He could tell something wasn't quite right. I could almost see him processing it all. I was worried the penny would drop and he would bolt. He turned his head to look directly at me and I shot him through the front of the neck. Very pleased with the shot placement. Dropped dead on the spot. My butcher was impressed with the size and condition of the carcass and the head... and it is not often I manage to impress a butcher although this may be a reflection of my skinning skills. I'd be interested to know what others think.

Attachments

• IMG_20201107_070059.jpg
    IMG_20201107_070059.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_20201107_065720.jpg
    IMG_20201107_065720.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 387

Finbarn

Heres the measurement sheet & a link to the scores - I’d be interested to hear what it comes in at....

Attachments

• 6DC19107-3F62-4870-8010-C35C1BF2DFF6.jpeg
    6DC19107-3F62-4870-8010-C35C1BF2DFF6.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 46

Jason Page

Thanks everyone for your replies. The measurement sheet is really interesting - thanks for posting this. I get back to everyone with measurements and an update tomorrow (8/11).

Jason Page

I hope I have measured this accurately! I am not claiming my measurements are perfect but I have done my best to be accurate and objective.

For me this just interesting/a bit of fun - although I will try to clean up this skull and keep it as a memento of a fine animal.

I very much appreciate everyone's input. So thanks to all who have posted. Here are the scores:

A = 2 (L) and 2 (R)
B = 8.5 (L/R)
C = 13.1 (L/R)

1.1 = 11.2
1.2 = 11 (L) and 10.9 (R); difference = 0.1
1.3 = 2 (L) and 2.3 (R); difference = 0.3
1.4 = 9.5 (L) and 9.3 (R); difference = 0.2
1.5 = 6.5 (L) and 6.5(R); difference = 0.0

...which gives me a final score of 68.6 which (assuming my measurements are OK) would qualify for a Gold medal!

The right antler (as you look at it; on the left from the perspective of its original owner!) is thicker at its thickest point than the other one but not noticeably so at the mid point.

Finbarn

Nice one Jason looks like its made it with some safety margin. Good luck with boiling it out - post a picture when you’re done..! Are both tusks intact?

Jason Page

Thanks! Both tusks are present but both are broken and worn. They aren’t the best examples. On the advice of my butcher, I’m soaking the flayed skull in soda crystals for a week or so before boiling. Any advice on preparing it would be gratefully received. I’ll search the forum as I am sure all the info I need is here somewhere. One of the things I have been wondering is whether it will smell bad when I boil it up and how cautious I need to be around my (vegetarian) wife.

baguio

Thanks! Both tusks are present but both are broken and worn. They aren’t the best examples. On the advice of my butcher, I’m soaking the flayed skull in soda crystals for a week or so before boiling. Any advice on preparing it would be gratefully received. I’ll search the forum as I am sure all the info I need is here somewhere. One of the things I have been wondering is whether it will smell bad when I boil it up and how cautious I need to be around my (vegetarian) wife.
Not sure about the soda crystals thing? There's absolutely no need at all for that. Skin as best you can and then boil it OUTSIDE or you will be severely rationed on everything that you don't want to be rationed on. It will smell!
I use a gas camping stove but use anything that can get the water boiling will do. 12 minutes or so should do it but if, when you pressure wash it, the meat isn't coming off then give it a bit longer. Wear waterproofs as it will spray you a bit. Also have some long nosed pliers or similar to hand to help pull any stubborn meat etc off.
I hang mine in hydrogen peroxide solution, keeping the coronets out of the solution but there will be loads of different options on here in the troph prep section
One tip though. Don't let it dry before 'bleaching' it. If you don't have time or the solution, cream etc, stick it back in water until you do.
Good luck and well done.
Baguio

baguio

Not sure about the soda crystals thing? There's absolutely no need at all for that. Skin as best you can and then boil it OUTSIDE or you will be severely rationed on everything that you don't want to be rationed on. It will smell!
I use a gas camping stove but use anything that can get the water boiling will do. 12 minutes or so should do it but if, when you pressure wash it, the meat isn't coming off then give it a bit longer. Wear waterproofs as it will spray you a bit. Also have some long nosed pliers or similar to hand to help pull any stubborn meat etc off.
I hang mine in hydrogen peroxide solution, keeping the coronets out of the solution but there will be loads of different options on here in the troph prep section
One tip though. Don't let it dry before 'bleaching' it. If you don't have time or the solution, cream etc, stick it back in water until you do.
Good luck and well done.
Baguio

Finbarn

Watch the tusks they'll come loose with boiling & the jet wash will blow them out. Best tip I received was to skin the head ASAP & store it in cold water with dettol it stops it getting smelly. Loads of videos on YouTube to watch. Make sure you get everything out the brain cavity that takes some work. Peroxide cream can be bought from Amazon & is easy for bleaching.

Jason Page

That’s all good advice. Thanks. Silly question but do I just glue any dislodged teeth back into place at the end?

Leica Amplus 6