Got us some BIG TIME EMMETS this week!

Buckaroo8

Yesterday evening I was mowing the grass when I was disturbed by the sound of several helicopters in the fields across the road. They buzzed about for a bit and then flew directly over my house and away. Turns out it was the President Biden’s chopper/s accompanied by 3 of those MV-22 Osprey tiltrotor things!

He’s coming down here for the G7 summit next week to discuss “climate change”
Dopey git just burnt up about 40,000 litres of aviation fuel before he even got here 🤣

John Gryphon

The Jackal ( Fred Forsyth)was innovative all of those years ago and I am surprised some assassin hasn't tried the crutch trick with a seemingly innocuous video camera.
Maybe they have,that i dont know but by ukcf I would have a vest on everytime I went out,even Il Papa wears one.

Sharpie

The Jackal ( Fred Forsyth)was innovative all of those years ago and I am surprised some assassin hasn't tried the crutch trick with a seemingly innocuous video camera.
Maybe they have,that i dont know but by ukcf I would have a vest on everytime I went out,even Il Papa wears one.

I think things might have moved on a bit since then. And the grassy knoll,.

There's quite a bit more than that arriving/arrived to protect the POTUS. And the other leaders.

TBH I can see why Carbis Bay has been chosen, this must be the most exciting thing to have happened around there since Poldark. I hope some of the other "World Leaders" manage to escape the shackles discretely and get to see some of the delight that is to be found outside. And we can surround it with frigates, patrol ships and cutters, of which we still have some.

I understand that Biden will then follow on afterwards to have an audience with Her Majesty.

As reported in The Times today: (I did like the wry comment about "so-called high value staff".):

I wonder what that brightly coloured barge with the big crane like thing is for (obviously not just a crane, something big and heavy on the end), loads of pointy green things that look a bit like enormous whale harpoons, seemingly an excessive amount of nav. lights, and surrounded with old tyres ? I guess Its not for spearing RIBs etc.

As for where HMS Northumberland is, well she still has her AIS turned on, so if it is to be believed, she is hereabouts: Oops, censored myself. And HMS Tyne has been joined by HMS Tamar, just offshore. (Tamar, one of our newest, is looking very distinguished, having been painted in WW1 "dazzle" along with her red lions.)

1623198659100.png

Hundreds of military personnel from all three services will join more than 5,000 police officers in one of the biggest security operations ever undertaken in Britain to guard world leaders attending this weekend’s G7 summit in Cornwall.

Thousands of extra officers from across the country have been posted to Carbis Bay under mutual aid agreements between police forces.

The reinforcements will join officers from Devon and Cornwall police, bringing the total officers and staff to about 6,500 people.

Play Video

US Marine helicopters practise take off and near St Michael’s Mount
Armed officers will patrol nearby waters in case they need to stop suspicious vessels, as well as being deployed at points along the routes that VIPs will take to the venue. Divers will also search for any suspicious items underwater. Police will not say how many armed officers are being deployed in total. They are equipped with Heckler & Koch carbines that can fire 750 rounds a minute and Kevlar body armour.

The airspace above Cornwall is largely shut but police are reserving the option to deploy one of their 18 drones if necesssary. Last month the force said it had planned for every eventuality on land, sea and air.

HMS Northumberland, a Type 23 frigate, has been positioned off the coast for naval and air defence while separate air defence capabilities are being deployed to protect the summit site at Carbis Bay.
Bomb disposal teams and sniffer dogs will be on hand to protect the first in-person gathering of world leaders since the pandemic broke out last year.
HMS Tyne just off the coast at the G7 summit site in St Ives, Cornwall

HMS Tyne just off the coast at the G7 summit site in St Ives, Cornwall
TIMES PHOTOGRAPHER JACK HILL
MS Silja Europa, a cruise ship, has docked at Falmouth where it is preparing to accommodate 1,000 of the police officers deployed for the event.
President Biden’s 400-strong Secret Service team is so vast they are being housed in 50 luxury recreational vehicles around Tregenna Castle, where the US president is staying. The visit is Biden’s first overseas trip since becoming president in January.

He will land on Air Force One at RAF Mildenhall tomorrow night before being helicoptered to the castle.
Yesterday two Sea King and three Osprey helicopters could be seen scouting the route he will take, having been flown over from the US along with the presidential limousine, nicknamed the Beast.
Two of the armoured Cadillacs were transported from Washington in a US Air Force Boeing C-17 Globemaster III though they may be used for little more than ferrying the president to and from a helipad.
The coast around the G7 summit is also being patrolled by police

The coast around the G7 summit is also being patrolled by police
AARON CHOWN/PA
The 18ft-long “White House on wheels” has ballistic armour and a sealed cabin with independent oxygen support capable of withstanding a nuclear, biological or chemical attack.
Its doors are eight inches thick and weigh as much as the door on a jetliner. The cabin carries at least two pints of the president’s blood for use in an emergency transfusion, which could be performed in the ambulance that forms part of the accompanying convoy.
Inside, the vehicle boasts internet access as well as a direct line to the Pentagon and satellite communications, facilitated by the vehicle codenamed Roadrunner, which encrypts and relays secure communications for the entire motorcade.
Another vehicle, the Watchtower, is an electronic countermeasures vehicle that jams communications and remote detonating devices to protect from explosive attack. Six Chevrolet Suburbans with police lights will carry the president’s Secret Service detail and so-called high-value staff.
A mobile radar station has been set up at a National Trust car park in Godrevy, near St Ives

A mobile radar station has been set up at a National Trust car park in Godrevy, near St Ives
BEN BIRCHALL/PA
One, the Halfback, follows the Beast and its decoy and carries the president’s security detail, his first line of back-up. The rear-facing third row seating carries an agent with an automatic assault rifle pointing from the window. Several more Chevrolets with police lights carry the Secret Service’s counterassault team (CAT) of heavily armed elite commandos.
The CAT has the task of responding if the convoy comes under attack or forming a defensive buffer while the president’s security detail works to evacuate him from the scene. A black truck works as a hazard material mitigation unit, carrying gear to detect and respond to nuclear, biological or chemical threats.
A USAF Osprey helicopter at RNAS Culdrose. The airspace above Cornwall is largely closed but police may use drones

A USAF Osprey helicopter at RNAS Culdrose. The airspace above Cornwall is largely closed but police may use drones
BOB SHARPLES/ALAMY
Of the five helicopters, one becomes Marine One when the president is on board while a second accompanies it everywhere it flies as a decoy.
The cost of policing the summit has been put at £70 million although the use of mutual aid officers means that Devon and Cornwall police do not bear the cost alone.
Environmental and anti-capitalist protesters have vowed to disrupt proceedings, prompting police to shut down all bridges over the A30, the main road running through Cornwall, for up to three weeks.
Members of a Christian group start a four-day pilgrimage on foot to Carbis Bay to protest against climate change

Members of a Christian group start a four-day pilgrimage on foot to Carbis Bay to protest against climate change
ROBERT TAYLOR/ALAMY
Residents living behind the towering metal fences erected around the site are only permitted entry with two forms of identification.
Extinction Rebellion has said it expects about 1,000 protesters to make their way to St Ives, next to Carbis Bay, for the summit. “We have done our best to plan our actions to be peaceful, creative, artistic and Covid-safe,” the group wrote in an open letter to locals last week. “We sincerely apologise in advance for any additional disruption that we cause.”

Last edited:

Sharpie

Yes a SAM in the back of a landrover.
Think Javelin. Cool expensive things, but probably financially beyond the reach of most baddies. And, TBH, who, in power, outside G7, would want to do such a thing, or screw this up at all ?

Note: G7 is Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the UK and the US.

Others have been invited. India, South Korea, and Australia.

Last edited:

tozzybum

That's the whole plan isn't it sleepy Joe doesn't wake up then she shoe,s in as president.
After all her Internet ranting pre election gave no chance of her being voted in directly.

Buckaroo8

Don’t let anything happen to Sleepy Joe. Something happens to him, then the VP takes over. That is really very scary.
Don’t worry, he’ll be alright. As long as he doesn’t go wandering around on the edge of the cliff after a few pints. Or reversing his car into the harbour.🤣
No , he’ll be too busy tucked away in his hotel room eating scones (jam first) and watching Poldark to be in any danger. 👍

Sharpie

Don’t worry, he’ll be alright. As long as he doesn’t go wandering around on the edge of the cliff after a few pints. Or reversing his car into the harbour.🤣
No , he’ll be too busy tucked away in his hotel room eating scones (jam first) and watching Poldark to be in any danger. 👍

Of course he will be alright. It is a very nice place, in a very nice country, and a very nice county (provided you can actually can earn a living there, and your ethnicity isn't perceived as disadvantage). Albeit mostly owned by Prince Charles).

Naah, he'll be a few miles away, sunning himself in the nude on Pedn Vounder along with the others and without the hangers-on. That's the way to get diplomacy done. Not on the golf course. I wish.

Though getting them all together might be a logistical problem, not sure he'd make the cliff walk down. Or up. Cue the black helicopters. Or walk in from Logan Rock, paying attention to the tides.

Fingers crossed that all goes well..

TBH, I'm not sure that they'll mostly be chatting about climate change etc, maybe more pressing geopolitical matters.

Last year, before it was cancelled, Trump and Macron had advocated expanding G7 to G8 by including Russia. That was knocked on the head. If some of the other invitees keep their noses clean, and deliver, maybe they might be considered later.

This, I hope, is quite a serious engagement, not entirely a jolly for all concerned.

Last edited:

dartmoordog

Jam first or not, I hope they send out for Devon Cream! The man would never have another Cream Tea if he tasted that shite they pass off as Clotted Cream in Cornwall. 🤮🤮🤮

Sharpie

Rhodas rule.
Roddas Cornish clotted cream is nice enough. For factory made stuff. From a supermarket near you.

BUT the best is made from raw unpasteurised milk. I could tell you a farm where to get some, and the milk itself, and the cottage cheese made from the rest. Cash only. Appointment only. I don't suppose Biden's official poison taster would allow him to eat the real deal. I expect that Macron, being from a country of refined "cheese eating surrender monkeys" would scoff it down, unless trying to make a point.

I wonder what the breakfast options provided will be ? Tick the box for: Full English (with Irish Clonakilty black pudding for Biden). Continental including country specific variants. North American with genuine Canadian maple syrup, Japanese. As for the second table lot, what is normally eaten for brekkie in Korea I wonder ? (I do know what goes in India and AUS).

Elevenses ?

Lunch: Beer and sandwiches I'd suggest.

Tea: ?

Dinner/Supper/Banquet: Oh, what a nightmare to design, and so easy to get it wrong, along with the seating plan. I hope the menus will be published afterwards. Maybe just vegan gluten free buffets with free seating easier.

Factoids:

Cornish Clotted Cream has a protected EU designation of origin. Devonian and other generics don't AFAIK. At least I still assume so, but post-Brexit who knows ?

Clotted Cream is illegal in both the USA and Canada. Probably for the best, given how they treat their dairy "herds", what they feed them on, and drug them with.

Digression: given recent nonsense about sending British "sausages" to NornI, may we in future see a return of English Champagne, as well as the Elderflower version ?

Finally, is it a scone as properly pronounced "on", or should it be "own"?

PS, the only difference between a Cornish cream tea, made the logical way, and a Devonian one, is whether you place the scone directly into the gob, thereby inverting it, or twist your wrist by 180 degrees. Variations include whether you scoop it up in the hand, thumb on top, as in eating a sandwich (inversion results), or pick it up delicately between thumb and forefinger, risking disassembly and ingredients down front of shirt and groin area (no inversion). As is trying to eat your peas off the back, or scoop them up on the front, of your fork, the sensible way.

Last edited:

Bavarianbrit

I like that, no wonder he looks a bit off colour/color if he has to give the secret service an armful of the red stuff every time he leaves the White House, get some iron into him to boost his strength I say. The cabin carries at least two pints of the president’s blood for use in an emergency transfusion.
BTW can a Chevy Suburban actually use those Cornish alleys?