Gove trying to ban trophy imports

Apparently he “will consult on what UK can do to end role in rearing of animals in fenced reserves”

“Trophy hunting is the shooting of animals for pleasure”

How is this different to UK pheasant shoots Mr Gove?

Social media - participants in shooting sports need to be aware of how they present themselves. Remember, a picture speaks a thousand words and the best efforts to present hunters as custodians of the wild are destroyed all to quickly.
Hunting industry - the contribution made to conservation especially in Africa needs more prominence. Perhaps a quality assurance scheme for providers is required. Certainly, the industry needs to address malpractice such as true canned hunting sold as sport.
Michael Gove - hopefully gone by the end of next week.

Typical politician that latches onto the soundbites of antis, fenced areas! FFS most hunting in South Africa is in fenced areas. The fact that those areas are enormous compared to any typical landholding in the UK is never mentioned. I have hunted SA on a few occasions and without exception I have found the animals in these large areas to be as wild and difficult to stalk as anywhere else, no doubt there are some who provide what I call "canned" hunting where the hunt is a totally different scenario and that type of hunting I and most others have no time for. I wish our representative organisations would stand up and defend/ explain the reality of the situation and expose the often false and inaccurate representation of hunting. Banning the import of trophies? as usual they think that banning something is the answer but all it will do is remove income from some African communities and reduce the funds for anti poaching. I can see the same arguments being used as they did with foxhunting, elitist, cruel, rich man's sport, etc. The term Snowflake society is appropriate here and if some of those a holes went and spent some time in Africa to see how the locals live and to some extent rely on the benefits of hunting they might have a different view, although I doubt it. The people who are responsible for the management of the the wildlife in African and other countries should stand up and provide input here and explain the numbers and species that have to be culled every year to keep a balance, reveal how Elephants are culled in some areas to prevent devastation of the landscape, instead we only see "save the Elephant" on TV and not the reality of some populations. It will be a very sad day for African wildlife if hunting is ever banned as the poachers will have free reign to take what they want.

Social media - participants in shooting sports need to be aware of how they present themselves. Remember, a picture speaks a thousand words and the best efforts to present hunters as custodians of the wild are destroyed all to quickly.
Hunting industry - the contribution made to conservation especially in Africa needs more prominence. Perhaps a quality assurance scheme for providers is required. Certainly, the industry needs to address malpractice such as true canned hunting sold as sport.
Michael Gove - hopefully gone by the end of next week.
How about if safari companies got together and offered to self impose a 5% tax on hunting, with the money each year going directly to conservation projects for locally endangered species?
I can’t see how anyone could complain about that. Got £40k to shoot an elephant? Throw in another £2k to help save the Black Rhino! It would then be easy to hold your head high and say
“Yes, I’m a trophy hunter......and a conservationist. How much money have YOU thrown into the pot to help save endangered species?”

Safari hunting in Africa is apparently worth approximately $200,000,000 so a 5% tax is worth $10,000,000 a year. That would be a massive help to endangered species.

Exactly the sort of initiative that needs doing Buckaroo.
We need to deflate our opponents arguments and not offer them easy targets.

Apparently he “will consult on what UK can do to end role in rearing of animals in fenced reserves”

“Trophy hunting is the shooting of animals for pleasure”

How is this different to UK pheasant shoots Mr Gove?

some would suggest it isn't so would like to see that banned also,

to be brutally frank attempting to "deal, or reason" with politicians of any party is often futile as even when you think you have achieved something they will just rescind on their word or promise as soon as it suits them,
17.4 million people [at the very least] would no doubt agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
With any luck Gove won't be in that job by the end of next week. He'd be much better in another department, where he might do some good. Fingers crossed we get someone sound in DEFRA next time.

1563541450558.png

Ideally, a reactionary old bigot like this...

With any luck Gove won't be in that job by the end of next week. He'd be much better in another department, where he might do some good. Fingers crossed we get someone sound in DEFRA next time.

View attachment 132632

Ideally, a reactionary old bigot like this...
:rofl:
Sir Talbot Buxomly MP

Flogging servants
Shooting poor people
The extension of slavery to anyone who hasn't got a knighthood

:rofl:

Thought crime next... obviously there's not much thought going on here, cost benefit analysis and cool, dispassionate reasoning would give more substance to the decision, rather like the argument for or against fox hunting, but the emotional needs/mores of the chattering voters need to be (quite cynically) factored in- it's not what is right that matters so much as what will get the most votes ones way....

According to today's Mirror website, Theresa Villiers has said she will carry on where Gove left off. They are also continuing the absurd puffin story which has been shot (!) down by Matt Cross - see his twitter and next week's Shooting times.

Back