GP charging for medical records

Fursty Ferret

Anyone had their GP charge them for the police to have access to medical records for firearms applications/renewals?

Anyone had their GP charge them for the police to have access to medical records for firearms applications/renewals?

Do you have a medical condition that you have declared on your application form? If yes, then the Licensing office will want clarification from your doctor, you will normally have to ask your doctor for the relevant information ,that will incur a charge from your surgery.

I just had to get mine done. Took over a month for the doctors to sort it out. Now I'm waiting to see if it's all ok. In the meantime I have missed all my lamping as my fields have been ploughed in and I have not been able to get after the deer and fox for my local keeper!
Really helpful. Just another way to make things harder for us!

I just had to get mine done. Took over a month for the doctor's receptionist to get off her lazy behind to sort it out. Now I'm waiting to see if it's all ok. In the meantime I have missed all my lamping as my fields have been ploughed in and I have not been able to get after the deer and fox for my local keeper!
Really helpful. Just another way to make things harder for us!

It is not the doctor that is slow. You need to actively chase them up. The receptionist think they are gods, when you question them, they get all shirty and lose their temper. Write directly to your GP next time, tell them that it is an urgent matter regarding firearms. Your fitness report will be expedited if you write directly.

I never said it was the reception. If you read my post!

It was the whole process that took the time!

I never said it was the reception. If you read my post!

It was the whole process that took the time!

But inevitably it is the receptionist's duty to organise the doctor schedule and they do not prioritise such work as firearms you must chase them up or they will fob you off with lines like 'the doctor is extremely busy' aren't we all extremely busy but we still manage our workload. They will put you on the back burner and you can consider yourself lucky it was a month without encouragement. Sometimes you must be firm with these people.

It is not the doctor that is slow. You need to actively chase them up. The receptionist think they are gods, when you question them, they get all shirty and lose their temper. Write directly to your GP next time, tell them that it is an urgent matter regarding firearms. Your fitness report will be expedited if you write directly.

Why are you getting involved at all?

You give permission for the police to speak to your GP in your renewal/application, and that is where your involvement finishes. The rest is for the police to deal with. There are no charges payable by the renewer, or they would be specified in the legislation.

Why are you getting involved at all?

You give permission for the police to speak to your GP in your renewal/application, and that is where your involvement finishes. The rest is for the police to deal with. There are no charges payable by the renewer, or they would be specified in the legislation.

If you have declared a condition on the application form, then the police will ask you to get a report from your doctor, that is the reason you would get involved. The Police may ask to see your medical records, and a doctors report will be sufficient as to your suitability or unsuitability as the case may be. To omit to declare a medical condition on the application form is deception and is a prosecutable offence. That is probably why it is a good idea to be involved.

If you have nothing to declare, then rightly there are no charges and you should not have to engage in such correspondence.

If you have declared a condition on the application form, then the police will ask you to get a report from your doctor, that is the reason you would get involved. The Police may ask to see your medical records, and a doctors report will be sufficient as to your suitability or unsuitability as the case may be. To omit to declare a medical condition on the application form is deception and is a prosecutable offence. That is probably why it is a good idea to be involved.

If you have nothing to declare, then rightly there are no charges and you should not have to engage in such correspondence.

I understand. I'm sorry...I didn't realise it had changed...you are correct. My apologies.

I have nothing to declare.....no medical conditions whatsoever (thankfully), cant even remember the last time i went to the doctors! so dont understand why they are trying to charge. Never had it before. I shall speak to my feo about it.

I have nothing to declare.....no medical conditions whatsoever (thankfully), cant even remember the last time i went to the doctors! so dont understand why they are trying to charge. Never had it before. I shall speak to my feo about it.

Be better telling your GP to send the bill to the local Licensing department. Unless you are suffering alzheimers and that is why you cant remember your last visit! Talking of alzheimers, I had to take my mother to the GP the other day and the Gp said to her, I have bad news... You have cancer,,, and you have alzheimers. Mother said,,,, it could be worse, I could have cancer.

Be better telling your GP to send the bill to the local Licensing department.

Quite right too. Fees for the grants and renewals of FACs & SGCs are set out in the Firearms Acts as periodically modified by Statutory Instrument as part of the democratic process. External pressure groups such as the BMA have no business at all in attempting to usurp Parliament for their own ends.

Fursty,
This is new legislation that came in on April 1st this year, have a look at section 10-22 of the Home office Guidance on firearms licensing

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518193/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_April_2016_v20.pdf

Ian.

Back