Gralloching kit

VSS

Just wondering how much gralloching kit people carry with them while stalking, or do you tend to leave stuff in the vehicle and go back for it if required? Thinking about suspended gralloch in particular, where you might want a little hoist and a gambrel for larger deer.

Essex stalker

I have a small pulley system and a folding gambrel but to be honest I don't take it out with me that much anymore, it stays in the car. I try and keep to the essentials so for roe and the other smaller species I just have some disposable gloves in my stalking trouser pockets and a knife and small bone saw on my belt. I gralloch the animal on the ground and then use the apex predator sac to carry the carcass back to the main track or a point where I can easily get the vehicle to

finnbear270

For suspended gralloch, a couple of good stainless steel rings can be utilised just like a pulley system in conjunction with a decent length drag line.

8x57

Distinguished Member
I know stalkers who carry rucksacks full of gear and another who doesn't even carry a knife. I suppose it depends a lot on how far away from your car you will be.

oowee

Drag rope / suspended gralloch and a knife. I only mostly shoot roe, but won't pick them up unless i have to. Wash my hands in anything to hand.

finnbear270

Two knives, one ready to hand, one in reserve packed away in cargo pocket, packet of plasters, two pairs exam gloves,if I am feeling fit I'll chuck in a rib saw :D,one drag line with dowel handle, that's about it, a few spare rounds for the rifle & a lens cloth.

Monkey Spanker

Other than bleeding them and a quick external inspection at point of shot, I prefer to recover deer intact to a point where they can be cleanly suspended and gralloched and placed straight into a vehicle. For this reason I only really carry a knife. For smaller deer in hard to reach places, I sometimes gralloch them and put them in a Roe sack to make them lighter to carry. For this I keep a small gralloch kit in the roe sack pocket. From what I've seen over the years, the amount of kit carried is inversely proportional to the experience of the stalker! We all start off carrying tons of kit and gradually realise we never really need or use it and discard it to the vehicle.
MS

Kjf

2 x s hooks, gloves , 2 x knives,and an old seat belt strap for dragging or carrying

the heavy duty kit is in the truck if required

gralloch is done in the nearest tree where the beast drops, if no tree near, or if it's a red/fallow its done on the ground

kjf

Last edited:

VSS

A knife and a piece of rope is all I've been carrying, with everything else left in the truck. However, having just got a handy new backpack with lots of pockets, I was thinking of maybe carrying a bit more stuff. So, just trying to decide what to include in a basic gralloching kit, and what to continue to leave in the vehicle.

Kjf

A knife and a piece of rope is all I've been carrying, with everything else left in the truck. However, having just got a handy new backpack with lots of pockets, I was thinking of maybe carrying a bit more stuff. So, just trying to decide what to include in a basic gralloching kit, and what to continue to leave in the vehicle.

Thats all all you need really mate, but a couple of small s hooks are light and useful on small deer for suspended grallochs

id add to my post that I also carry a couple of zip lock bags for the heart,liver and kidneys

being light is good in my book, we're not on an SAS mission lol lol

kjf

FISH BOY

Same as most, one set of S hooks, knife, Streton saw and some disposable gloves.

Always get the beast as close to the car/track as possible, gralloch on the nearest tree and bring the car box to the beast (huge £19 special with lockable lid from Homebase)

Job done

Ranger22

Knife, gralloching gloves,chain mail glove, first aid kit, spot tracker, gps, phone, whistle, small head torch, rope all in a bumbag. Never used to carry anything that couldn’t be put in my pockets. How times have changed

Other than bleeding them and a quick external inspection at point of shot, I prefer to recover deer intact to a point where they can be cleanly suspended and gralloched and placed straight into a vehicle. For this reason I only really carry a knife. For smaller deer in hard to reach places, I sometimes gralloch them and put them in a Roe sack to make them lighter to carry. For this I keep a small gralloch kit in the roe sack pocket. From what I've seen over the years, the amount of kit carried is inversely proportional to the experience of the stalker! We all start off carrying tons of kit and gradually realise we never really need or use it and discard it to the vehicle.
MS

+1

If I'm on ground where I can't easily get a vehicle close by then I'll prob carry a little more with me - couple of s-hooks and drag rope.

slider

Knife, gralloching gloves,chain mail glove, first aid kit, spot tracker, gps, phone, whistle, small head torch, rope all in a bumbag. Never used to carry anything that couldn’t be put in my pockets. How times have changed

Aye but is all that through choice or dictated through elfin safety? WR's through here tend to take everything back to the larder to gralloch - but then distances are probably not as great and they are only dealing with Roe and a few Sika.

HappyHunter

Just put a kit together after picking up a second hand waist bag off here. Wanted a dedicated stalking bag as fed up of constantly swapping bits back and forth.

Contents:
Drag rope
2 knives
Pocket sharpener
Torch
Small first aid kit with trauma dressing and whistle
Disposible gloves
Plastic bag for gloves and knives once bloodied
Sanitizer

Nice and light with room for ammo, waterproof and water bottle. Never too far from a vehicle for recovery at the moment with the beast gralloched once recovered.

Shoud that change then some S hooks, folding gambrel and cord will be going in too.

HH

Monkey Spanker

Just put a kit together after picking up a second hand waist bag off here. Wanted a dedicated stalking bag as fed up of constantly swapping bits back and forth.

Contents:
Drag rope
2 knives
Pocket sharpener
Torch
Disposible gloves
Sanitizer

Nice and light with room for ammo, waterproof and water bottle. Never too far from a vehicle for recovery at the moment with the beast gralloched once recovered.

Shoud that change then some S hooks, folding gambrel and cord will be going in too.

HH

You forgot the Andrex Washlets! More essential than any of the other kit! Nothing worse or more distracting than stalking with a 'Turtles Head' popping in and out!
MS:lol:

Contents:
Drag rope
2 knives
Pocket sharpener
Torch
Disposible gloves
Sanitizer

HH

you must shoot a lot of deer in one outing!! 2 knives AND a sharpener??

John Gryphon

this is a necessary item here that we all use of course :D

f430c4029387482a8da11b1787bb3c53.jpg