Gralloching

Gralloch suspended or on ground?

• Total voters

Paul 600

Much cleaner carcass. Always where possible apart from on the hill. Everywhere else is possible with a little effort and thought.

bogtrotter

Mostly on the ground just got used to doing it that way on the hill,though usually only a green gralloch the rest done back at the larder, even in the larder I prefer to do it on a skinning stool rather than suspended.

VSS

Well I've been cutting up sheep, goats, cattle etc for years, and always suspended. However, Saturday morning was a bit of a milestone in that I had my first solo successful stalk, and decided to gralloch on the ground. In future I will definitely try to find somewhere to hang deer up. Seemed to be a right fiddle doing it on the ground.

Monkey Spanker

Always suspended! I will move a deer to somewhere where this can be achieved. I appreciate that this is not always possible in the remote Highlands of Scotland, but around here we have that luxury! It is much cleaner and the finished carcass is also much cleaner as the blood is kept away from the prime end of the animal. Once a deer has left the ground by whatever means, there should be no reason for it to end up back on the ground again where it could become contaminated. Where you shoot an animal is not always the best place to gralloch it! Extract it to somewhere better before performing a suspended gralloch if you can.
MS

berg

I consider myself to be a fairly able person with a knife and although I can make a decent job on the ground I will always look to suspend a beast were possible there's no argument its cleaner quicker and more hygienic to suspend a carcasse

Dorsettaff

Ground if no other option

Otherwise tree or if a short haul back to larder then quickly back to larder and suspended!

Chasey

P1000920.jpg
Suspended unless I absolutely have too

Cleaner, easier and more comfortable than kneeling in the mud

2016-01-30 09.22.47.jpg

Last edited:

ileso

Suspended, I usually carry some rope, if need be I hang em by a leg off the nearest tree.
I find it just makes life a bit easier if gravity gives a hand.

philip

When you have the luxury of a tree, suspended gralloch is so much better for hygiene and working on the deer, drains the carcase , give it a better cooling position and it's away from contamination, drop it into a drag box, never to touch the ground again.

I have / use a cradle if its in a field, can't see the point of dragging a carcase if you can get your vehicle to it without doing any ground damage, why work hard - off the cradle in the drag box straight on the truck and done

big ears

Roe - suspend as I can carry them.
Fallow/red- on the ground as I'll drag them and don't like an open chest. Plus cannot lift them!!
always take everything out at time of gralloch.

Tim.243

Gravity helps a lot, also working up right is how the process carries on with a caucus until it is put on a slab for the finish work if the beast goes to a dealer.

I have been in the position twice where I had to do a large Red and Fallow on the ground but having learnt the hard way then I have made kit for big stuff..

For me once I have skinned it, then it is broken down on the hook as it is a good working height.

Tim.243

Monkey Spanker

Fallow/red- on the ground as I'll drag them and don't like an open chest. Plus cannot lift them!!
I have a small triple pulley block system as part of my gralloch kit. Provides a 6:1 mechanical advantage so no deer is too heavy to lift!;)
MS

Hayduke

Always gralloch on the ground, was how I was taught. Leave everything for the ravens or I will sometimes bury.

Seriously can't be bothered, and unnecessary to hawl a deers extra weight (guts/pluck etc) up a tree or any distance. No need to carry any more kit than one knife. I never get more than a little bit of moss/leaves/grass on the deer which can be hosed off at ladder if I want too. If i sell the carcass the dealers are happy, and if keeping, everything I eat is covered in fur.

devon deer stalker

Same as me, what people don't appreciate is where we shoot our red's, and their weight do they?!
Cheers
Richard

bogtrotter

Always suspended! I will move a deer to somewhere where this can be achieved. I appreciate that this is not always possible in the remote Highlands of Scotland, but around here we have that luxury! It is much cleaner and the finished carcass is also much cleaner as the blood is kept away from the prime end of the animal. Once a deer has left the ground by whatever means, there should be no reason for it to end up back on the ground again where it could become contaminated. Where you shoot an animal is not always the best place to gralloch it! Extract it to somewhere better before performing a suspended gralloch if you can.
MS
Totally agree about not necessarily gralloching where it was shot, but in a worst case scenario for me would have been a move of up to seventeen miles to where you could have done a suspended gralloch,.
Just because you shot it in a bog you don't need to gralloch it in one, no need to get blood in the prime end of the animal
the hill is seldom dead flat get the head downhill and bleeding it should remove most of the blood from the chest cavity
Very little chance of contamination from contact with the ground on the hill,less so if you only do a green gralloch if you have to do a full gralloch then leave the head and legs on and don't split the chest or aitch bone that leaves no exposed meat for any possible contamination, these can all be done easily and quickly back at the larder.

Someone mentioned having to get on their knees to do a gralloch on the ground,yes that has become a problem as I have become older,used to be able to do it just bending over but no longer, that is why I like the skinning stool for in the
larder find it easier for splitting the chest and aitch bone than when suspended.

But each to their own, but their is absolutely no reason with a little bit of thought why a ground gralloch can't be every bit as clean and hygienic as a suspended one.