Green Peli case

CRUMPY

Bit of advice needed, off to SA in a couple of weeks, taking my rifle, is there likely to be an issue that my Peli case is green and might be considered to be too military looking and cause me problems?!
Crumpy

Last edited:
Should be no problem. Some of my friends have green Peli's.

But when u get swamped by porters offering to "help" (Any Peli case is a magnet because they assume its a sporting rifle and easy tip!) just say its a guitar and you are fine by yourself!!

Enjoy!

But of advice needed, off to SA in a couple of weeks, taking my rifle, is there likely to be an issue that my Peli case is green and might be considered to be too military looking and cause me problems?!
Crumpy

Please keep us us up to date on what the SAPS are asking for on paperwork.

Stan

Have been told to insist on it from Heathrow customs when I check rifle in, have heard they won't want to give it you but to insist! Giving myself plenty of time at airport!

Aye, good call Smullery. What are you doing about this damn export permit Crumpy?

Technically you don't need an export permit from the UK, however that said I've got a letter from my firearms department (Kent) authorising temp export to cover my self.

Customs at Heathrow don't like giving them out, the last time I had to point out the relevant form on the wall of the customs room!!

Deredriver could be a good call, belt and braces and all that, I'll give Staffs a ring Monday!

So guys, how can we sort this? What national organisation can fight our corner? There are 14,000, or more, on this site now and whilst I realise that a small number go to Africa each year, surely we can do something to sort out what should be a trivial matter.
I mean, what are customs up to? " They don't like to give out the letters!" Are they a professional, governmental service or just a bunch of people operating on whims? I can't imagine this situation is in Home Office guidelines but there must be protocols somewhere to deal with this.
Do we not have a customs officer in our number? Where are the regulations? We have been told many times, sometimes heatedly, that we dont need an export licence and that all will be well in Joburg. Aye, tell that to the guy behind the counter who's hanging on to your guns! Practically to get out of the Firearms Office smoothly, we do.
Sensible suggestions chaps.

So there is a "form" Deerdriver? Have you got a copy? It must have a number on it if it's a governmental item?

Haven't got it to hand at the moment, as I said I've relied on a letter from my Firearms Licensing Department which I've used for the last 4 trips without any issue.

Deerdriver, any chance of copying that (the letter) onto this forum - with any sensitive info (like your name and address) - removed?
Might give us all a form of words to suggest to our local offices.
Thanks.

Back