Group size prone vs seated vs standing?

Utectok

So I’ve got a basic rule of thumb respective accurate deer shooting ranges of sticks standing vs off sticks seated vs prone with a bipod. That’s all with trigger sticks I’d be interested in different people experiences. I mean are people shooting standing sub moa with quad stick? What’s your groups like standing vs sitting? Obviously we all shoot brilliantly with bags and bipods but that only covers a small range of actual shots taken in the field?

bowji john

Out to 300m I find little difference between bench and quad sticks unless the wind is blowing me around in the field - At greater range, I find that the lack of stability does start to play a part

I do practice an awful lot though (2000 to 3000 rds a month)

Freehand is very different - for me it requires regular practice and as a skill it has a very short half life

the good news is that regular practice with .22LR and dry firing my centre fire helps hugely with live fire of my preferred calibre(s)

Tim.243

So I’ve got a basic rule of thumb respective accurate deer shooting ranges of sticks standing vs off sticks seated vs prone with a bipod. That’s all with trigger sticks I’d be interested in different people experiences. I mean are people shooting standing sub moa with quad stick? What’s your groups like standing vs sitting? Obviously we all shoot brilliantly with bags and bipods but that only covers a small range of actual shots taken in the field?
I zero my rifle off quad sticks as 90% is off them also your head position standing > breathing also for checking after the shot. Any flinch I have is build in....

quads can be closed up to twins which I am sure would keep one or two of the die hard guides taking their client's around happy... :tiphat:

This was a fair while ago but off quads @ 200...
Front%20on%20Fox%20Target.jpg

GrahamK998

I'm thinking about getting one of these

As a teaching aid I think it might be valuable

As a device for post shot self assessment it could help enormously

That certainly looks and interesting bit of kit; indeed it could be quite useful in showing what movement the shooter is making before, on, and immediately after the shot. Used SCATT on .22 target rifle, but not really seen anything for a scoped rifle.

NullMac

I did shot a group of a copper load last weekend off my 5 leg Viper Sticks. 100 yards group was 0.55" from a 270, so not a soft little 223. Now that impressed me as I have not had the sticks long and was really just trying to convince myself that the load didn't spray them everywhere unlike the last copper bullet.

The first shot was a bit left but I was pointing a bit left when I fired, tightened the next 2 up and they went through the same hole. Ignoring what the ammunition can and can't do, what that told me was that it is possible for me to hold to 0.25" at 100 yards off those sticks.

I only shoot off sticks now unless I am up the hill. I have tried others, nothing comes close to the performance possible with a 5 leg set up. For my shooting at least.

Utectok

Looks like I’ll have to dust off the quad sticks I find them annoying on uneven ground and sitting but I can’t get sub moa with trigger sticks which is also annoying grrr

njc110381

Prone with a bipod, cloverleaf at 100m. Off of quad sticks, an inch or so. Sitting/standing off hand, more like 4"! I don't find I can shoot so well off of a single contact point stick or tripod, that's about half way between the quad sticks and off hand.

Tim.243

Prone with a bipod, cloverleaf at 100m. Off of quad sticks, an inch or so. Sitting/standing off hand, more like 4"! I don't find I can shoot so well off of a single contact point stick or tripod, that's about half way between the quad sticks and off hand.
There are too many factors in how I go about my shooting for me with a single point stick or tripod...
Wind is the biggest problem as I often will choose a dark windy night for foxing, so being knocked around like a sock in a tumble drier.

The single stick clan will zero there rifle off a bench/bag/dead rest then use the stick of choice, however my money is they would not attempt it the other way around. The biggest factor is repeatability which is why people use bench/bag/dead rest to zero as they could not test loads or set up a new scope of a single stick. :popcorn:

Jelen

In my experience with a free floated barrel, stiff fore end and properly bedded action there is no physical difference in POI caused by the rifle and load.
The difference becomes apparent when using different shooting positions and is purely down to using a different hold and trigger pull.
That can only be improved by repetitive practice.

badbob

Zero as you normally shoot, i.e. off sticks , bipod , high seats. On the range front and rear bags.
When on the hill I always shot prone ,off elbows ,or on heather. Never liked bipods. The aim was to get prone and rapidly or quickly shoot a 1" or 1.5 " group .

Freehand... well..Yesterday I just couldn't get a freehand shot off at a squirrel at 50 yards, after half a minute of my reticle wandering around had to give up.🥴 Quad sticks are the answer but no good left in the car.

Utectok

That’s about the same for me

FISH BOY

Looks like I’ll have to dust off the quad sticks I find them annoying on uneven ground and sitting but I can’t get sub moa with trigger sticks which is also annoying grrr
Do it - way too much movement with trigger sticks. I only find them useful for session sitting out with the cradle.

Overlay

probably shoot off of sticks ( carbon tripod) 95% of the time and get the grouping i want, i treated myself to a set of clamp tri pod thingies, as good as shooting off a bench, really good for zeroing but bloody heavy not a stalking set by any means