Grouse moor reform

sauer

I know that as well as you do, but it's not our side of the story that's being circulated through the media and believed by the majority of people who read it.
I don't manage a grouse moor - I just burn a few acres of heather each year to keep my sheep happy -, but I wonder why grouse moor managers aren't proactive on social media, posting regular updates on wildlife sightings, raptor breeding successes, conservation work etc. Why wait for our orgs to provide a counter claim? Why not pre-empt the antis in the first place?

They are !! You need to follow these groups in order to see their posts

Angus moorland group
Grampian moorland group
speyside moorland group
And a few I follow north of England ..... they are proactive with school visits and kids to estates etc

All over Facebook & Instagram .... go look them up

I see more from the SGA & SACS than any other organization as well on social media m
I have also joined the GWCT .... I think everyone should, they are ones doing the research & science that helps prove our side

The moorland group also commissioned Pace brothers to do this video amongst others !
Get the word out

Last edited:

VSS

Angus moorland group
Grampian moorland group
speyside moorland group
And a few I follow north of England ..... they are proactive with school visits and kids to estates etc

They also commissioned Pace brothers to do this video amongst others !
Get the word out
It's no good if the only way to see the posts is to follow the groups. That's simply preaching to the converted.
The antis' posts are popping up all over mainstream news feed, without the need to follow any particular organisation. So everyone gets to read their message, while only a chosen few reads whatever the moorland groups are putting out.

sauer

It's no good if the only way to see the posts is to follow the groups. That's simply preaching to the converted.
The antis' posts are popping up all over mainstream news feed, without the need to follow any particular organisation. So everyone gets to read their message, while only a chosen few reads whatever the moorland groups are putting out.

Then share the **** out of it .... share your own page so non shooting friends see it .... explain to them what’s going on ... educate .... get folk onside !

Paul

jimmy milnes

....which then begs the question why aren't our Orgs countering that position, particularly one - which I am (currently....) a member of - that has a 'state of the art media centre'? Shouldn't a media centre be used to get the right messages into the media?? Or am I missing something.....
Yes... I've just got my renewal card in the post this week funnily enough but as I'm also a supporter of NGO AND GWCT guess where I'm thinking of making a considerable financial saving

sauer

I do my bit.
Not saying you don’t sir!

But have a search find these groups and share share share!

There are others like “The Armchair Hunter” who pushes for ethical sustainable hunting thru medium of food! .... anything to try to help our bit...

Anyone know of any others on social media share them with us ...

Really simple .... we are under attack like never before .... need to counteract it and educate.... and our organizations don’t seem to be “proactive” merely reactive

Paul

Freeforester

You do realise the interests against the rational right that are lined up against us in the MSM, Tim? I've had friends who do actually know what they are talking about and are employed full time for years in their respective professions, who have run rings around the BBC Scotland land-interest mouthpiece muppets up here, but they're the ones with the editing suite and agenda; this does not go un-noticed though; no need to further fan the flames of muppetry and commentary against, especially here, I get that you are anxious about the future, but that thankfully won't be determined by idiots, so relax a little and try to see and promote the positive messages, not the nonsense above, that would be a good start.

VSS

You do realise the interests against the rational right that are lined up against us in the MSM, Tim? I've had friends who do actually know what they are talking about and are employed full time for years in their respective professions, who have run rings around the BBC Scotland land-interest mouthpiece muppets up here, but they're the ones with the editing suite and agenda; this does not go un-noticed though; no need to further fan the flames of muppetry and commentary against, especially here, I get that you are anxious about the future, but that thankfully won't be determined by idiots, so relax a little and try to see and promote the positive messages, not the nonsense above, that would be a good start.

I wish I had your confidence that the future won't be determined by idiots!

pop1

Angus moorland group
Grampian moorland group
speyside moorland group

I see more from the SGA & SACS than any other organization as well on social media m
I have also joined the GWCT .... I think everyone should, they are ones doing the research & science that helps prove our side

The moorland group also commissioned Pace brothers to do this video amongst others !
Get the word out
Tomatin moorland group and south Scotland partnership

Sonicdmb73

This report is perhaps more helpful to the cause, although I can't read all of it as I'm not a subscriber:
This confirms that the so called raptor protection groups are certainly part of the problem. Over monitoring is causing nest failure. Along with predation which has been caught on camera but rarely publicised.
With the quality of camera equipment available nowadays I cannot understand the need to go near the nest, certainly not repeatedly.

Freeforester

Why did they cover up the poisoning of the kites up at Beauly? Could it have been because it was self inflicted??

Why do they show no concern for the country-wide crash in Kestrel numbers? Could it be because it isn't related to human persecution, but rather predation by their bigger cousins??

What about the golden eagle nest in the Granny pine at Mar lodge, you know, the one with the moss all rubbed off the side where they were up and down the tree like demented 'treecreepers' merrily a-monitoring the thing to the point where it was abandoned??

Or the osprey chick dropped by the (dead?)-ringers for 'experts in their field' and thus killed, up by Huntly??

I'll spare you the other instances of 'death by well-meaning intervention', I think you get the idea as to their expertise though, it would appear more like learning by the mistakes, and always at the expense of the birds they purport to love, and obviously so much more than those who are simply happy to know they are there, but prefer to leave them alone...

VSS

Another positive one, albeit with a few small digs at grouse shootings from the "experts". The facts are in there though: A bumper breeding year for hen harriers on managed grouse moors.

jimmy milnes

It was the Labour Council of Bradford who wouldn't renew the ilkley lease so they have a role model to see how moorland ""prospers" with keepers managing it

jimmy milnes

Just been reading a report by a Bradford ornithology club who were asked to do a serv on bird species on the Moor by a group called friends of ilkley moor, they noted that the biggest problem was that dog walkers of both recreational and business guises were the biggest problem to ground nesting birds, was although the people themselves mainly kept to the walkways the dogs were allowed to do as they pleased "without at least any respect for breeding seasons I presume"
Bet not many would have got away with that a couple of years back when it was keepered

Freeforester

Studies in the continent have also shown this to be a major factor in ground nesting birds abandoning their chosen nesting areas, hence the regulations abroad to ensure all dogs and their owners are made aware that 'on short leads only' is order of the day in the nesting season;

For reasons best known to themselves, the vast majority of the Great British dog-loving community appear to be rather indifferent to the needs of nesting birds, and other young life-forms abroad during the spring and summer nesting season. :-| :mad::confused:

The fourth Horseman

Studies in the continent have also shown this to be a major factor in ground nesting birds abandoning their chosen nesting areas, hence the regulations abroad to ensure all dogs and their owners are made aware that 'on short leads only' is order of the day in the nesting season;

For reasons best known to themselves, the vast majority of the Great British dog-loving community appear to be rather indifferent to the needs of nesting birds, and other young life-forms abroad during the spring and summer nesting season. :-| :mad::confused:
Never!!! Cwis says you can walk your dogs anywhere, especially on grouse moors so there's not enough grouse for those nasty people to shoot.
(Ok I know it's a lie but only copying him).