Guide to locating and sexing deer foetus?

Koenig

Evening SD,

I am currently working through my DDM Training Objectives and have to (at some stage as I continue to progress) locate and sex deer foetus. I can’t find any reference guide material in any of the following:

DMQ DSC1 pre-read notes.
Deer Intiative online PDF’s
BDS website
BASC website.

Can anybody assist with a link or PDF etc?

This is something I’ve never done and only seen done once years ago. I don’t want to cock it up on the day.

Thanks in advance.

Koenig.

PorkChops

Agreed, by the time you can see the foetus in the uterus, the relevant anatomy is clear!

Quite why one needs to sex them escapes me
It may not be a 'need' but the satisfaction of knowing you've taken one out this year's doe cull target and next year's as well is a wonderful thing. The disappointment in seeing it's a buck, not so wonderful.

PC

baguio

Found in the bag which looks like this. In this case twins. Sexing them is easy. Its either got meat and two veg or it hasn't.

Attachments

• IMG-20210319-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210319-WA0004.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 72

Highfield

surely ddm cover this with new guys. it is very basic stuff which is probably why you cant find it shown anywhere!

Koenig

I dare say they will, just wanted to have half an idea if there was anything more to it than looking for the obvious. Thanks to all contributors.

PorkChops

It may not be a 'need' but the satisfaction of knowing you've taken one out this year's doe cull target and next year's as well is a wonderful thing. The disappointment in seeing it's a buck, not so wonderful.

PC

I find that concept quite weird.

Ah yes... the disappointment is not specifically because that foetus is male but more that there's another doe with a female inside that got away with it that day.

palmer_mike

Ah yes... the disappointment is not specifically because that foetus is male but more that there's another doe with a female inside that got away with it that day.
It doesn’t necessarily work that way though does it?

I find it a bit weird as looking at the deer foetuses from culled does won’t necessarily tell you what the sex of foetuses remain In The unculled does…..

Foetus sex is a bit of a lottery rather than by design isn’t it?

Paul 600

The more pressure the deer are under the more doe foetuses you will find. A survival mechanism to pass on genes.

baguio

Should have plenty of opportunities to perfect finding and sexing the foetus in the coming months. Make sure that you're also shown the corpus lutea in any roe does you shoot this side of Christmas. If they don't show you then feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

PorkChops

It doesn’t necessarily work that way though does it?

I find it a bit weird as looking at the deer foetuses from culled does won’t necessarily tell you what the sex of foetuses remain In The unculled does…..

Foetus sex is a bit of a lottery rather than by design isn’t it?
Around here, there will always be another doe with a female inside... Everyone's situation is different but in general I think there are too many deer and specifically areas where there are too many fallow - in these areas there is no pleasure in getting anything but does.