gun cabinet in damp room - vp90/dehumidification???

Offroad Gary

Gents,

i'm moving house next week and have to locate my cabinet on an external single skin wall in a cupboard which also houses the washing machine, i'll probably put vp90 in there - anyone use one of those mini dehumidifiers, are they any good?

might also consider an anti condensation heater.

anyone have to take these precautions because of cabinet location?

comments/ideas please

Whatever you do, check the guns very, very regularly. I am in a similar position at the moment, and it is a real bugger when you find your best gun/rifle has been affected by rust - even though you thought all metal surfaces where oiled or greased.

fit a 40w light bulb to the inside of the cabinet and leave it on, gives off enough heat to keep the rifles nice and snug and dry.

VP90 is good as it is an airborne molecular bonding agent which prevents moisture contact. Change it every 6 months and your cabinet is well safe. Never had to pay for one as my RFD will hand one over when I ask, twice a year. He holds 200 round of 9.3 x 62mm for me and only charges by the box when I call off ( and yes I know what his markup is), gets me through two years big gun hunting.

Stan

Fit a 40w light bulb to the inside of the cabinet and leave it on, gives off enough heat to keep the rifles nice and snug and dry.

I was going to say the same thing...except 60 watt. Years ago, thirty-five years ago, I had charge of an armoury with one hundred plus rifles and Bren guns. This was before plastic furniture.

During the course of that it was decided to increase the "hardening" of it by building an additional internal breezeblock wall. Thus a lot of water vapour was liberated as it dried out.

The biggest problem was not rust. That was easy to protect against with regular weekly inspection and using an oily cloth externally and an oily phosphor bronze through the barrel.

No! The biggest problem was mildew on the wood stocks and fore-ends! So to counter that I can't suggest an answer as we never cured it. Just had to keep cleaning it off until the new internal wall dried out.

Nothing worse than finding rust on one of your guns !

A 60 watt bulb on a timer did the trick for me. If your washing machine also has a built in drier and is not vented to the outside of the house this in itself may not be sufficent.

LJ

Back