Gun Cases

Heym SR20

I am looking for a hard gun case for taking rifle and or shotgun on aircraft. Any body any thoughts.

I have looked at the the cheap black plastic types -(eg Dosko from sportsman gun centre), which look, well, cheap and also at the more expensive aluminium variety.

Ideally I would like one that is not a full length rifle as I can easily remove the stock off the rifle and have it in two parts - doesnt seem to affect the zero - ie 36 inch log internal dimension as opposed to 50 inch.

Many thnaks

Heym SR20

WAYNE DAVIES

Distinguished Member
We had a couple made by a firm who make flight cases for musical instruments. They will make the case and cut the inserts to what ever size you require the inserts are interchangeable and sandwiched between two more layers. Nice quality and reasonable price.
I'll post a picture tomorrow and try and find the number :rolleyes:

One thing I've been told by a friend who has had problems, be careful with small cases if they look like a laptop case as they get stolen :eek:

Wayne

deerwarden

friend and I both bought winchester double guncases from sportsman, airline approved, both damaged severly from j,berg to london on air france flight, my leupold scope and his binns damaged plus cases badly dented etc another mates big plastic one with wheels perfect. we dont know whether it was intentional or just rough handling, but 5 months of aggro to get compensation for me, mate didn't get any for his binns only case as they said it was for gun only not binns. beware of air france they are not too helpfull with gun transport, in our recent experiance. Dont buy cheap it dont work out that way in long run. :eek:

Offroad Gary

Account Suspended
peli cases are pretty tough - havent got one but the chap that owns my local gun shop has dragged/kicked one all over europe and africa.

Baldrick

I use a flightcase (just like the Spider Engineering ones) for my shotguns, and Peli, Americase and Kalispel cases for rifles. The Americase wins the sturdiness race by a country mile, but it is heavy and expensive.

N.F.W.M

I have tried the cheap and cheerful Dosko cases, which lasted about 13.6 seconds, then I purchased a so called airline approved case from York Guns, that is still just about in working order although the locks are buggered. I now use Peli cases. Expensive but bomb proof. Have had mine for six months, one of which lives in the boot of my Landrover and every morning that I look at the case it shouts 'is that what you call abuse ? give me MORE !

Purchased mine from waterproof-cases.co.uk

WAYNE DAVIES

Distinguished Member
Sorry it took so long couldn't find the phone number.

This one was made by protec flight cases
01291 630410 or 07776 234018

I haven't rang these numbers for a couple of years but hopefully ok

Wayne

Chris Rob

Well this guy was very lucky wth his gun case, how the hell did they manage to do that to it! :confused:

Chris

"I just arrived in Williamsburg, Virginia, this evening. Below is a photo of my gun case as it came off the baggage carousal.

I made up some posters for an exhibit about the special British Board of Ordnance Contract of 1813 describing the particular guns the B.O. sent to Canada during the War of 1812 to arm the friendly Indians in Canada to help fight an invasion by the Americans. In this gun case, I had one of the properly marked long guns supplied by one of the Contractors: Ketlnd & Allport, and one of the pistols made by Joseph Moxham. Both guns have the Board of Ordnance markings for this contract.

You can see from the photo's that I was extremely lucky. I had the long gun packed all the way to the left in the case, and the pistol was at an angle at the other end. The bend in the case just happened to be at the space between the two guns, and neither had any damage of any kind. This is a very heavy metal case and has been around the world on many trips with me, but somehow they managed to really destroy it this time."

Gurube62

I bought a case from this firm years ago. Highly recommended.
The case is very well built and strong and has really had some knocks and survived everything airlines and baggage handlers have thrown at it. It also doubles as a portable safe as it has anchor points which you can use to secure it an immovable object using a cable lock.
As always with quality it doesn't come cheap. Not sure if they have a UK agent now as when I bought mine I could only get it direct from the factory in Germany.
http://www.eisele-koffer.com/defaulte.htm

jon2

If you want bomb proof I can vouch for the Americase. They have been going for years and have a boom proof reputation.

However they don't have wheels and are very heavy. I was looking at the Strom or Peli cases as the Storm has wheels (think the Peli might too but not sure). I do not have any direct experience of Storm but am thinking of getting one (primarily because of the wheels).

I have done some extensive "due diligence" on what people use for transporting firearms etc but I would never ever compromise my situation by buying something that was middle of the road price wise. Go expensive and go for reputation is my theory - I know it is a cliche but you get what you pay for and even though you may be insured, it is going to ruin your day when you get to the other side and find you rifle dis-assembled.

Just my opinion

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Ive a Pelicase 1750 that I use to transport my rifles to competitions abroad (via road or air), I have a couple of different foam sets so I can swap rifles about and know they are secure inside.

Absolutely bomb proof cases and would buy another tomorrow if needed.

jon2

Useful info Redmist

Does the 1750 have wheels at all?

I like the idea of having different inserts for different rifles.

Thanks

243varmint

A guy at work has a very good one that he used to go to the paralympics. I think the forces use them to throw out the back of planes, and like a dumb arse I have forgotten the name
I'll be back
Jonathon

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Peli 1750 has two wheels at one end and a cdrag handle at the other, make light work of a heavy rifle and kit over everything but rough terrain.

jon2

Thats what I am after Redmist. The wheels are what I was after for checking in etc and I have also found a good place in the Uk that is selling the 1750 for £156 ex VAT (MidwayUK are selling them at £298!!!).

Baldrick

243varmint said:
A guy at work has a very good one that he used to go to the paralympics. I think the forces use them to throw out the back of planes, and like a dumb arse I have forgotten the name
I'll be back
Jonathon
Those will be Hardigg cases, beloved by the US military and used by British Forces too: http://www.hardigg.com/

Very expensive though.