Gun Safe In Garage

I considered it for mine, but decided that the night/day/seasonal temperature differences could induce condensation and then rust on older shotguns. My FEO also said that garage doors would require additional locks.

Hi,
I am looking at moving from North Yorks to South Yorks. I looked at the temp issue etc and have a big enough cabinet to put a 12 inch tube heater inside without touching the guns to keep the temp stable.

Ian

Separate garages tend to be frowned upon I think. Attached ones perhaps not so much. Frankly, if it's an option, I'd try and have it in the house. If space is tight, be creative with it's position (as the actress said to the bishop)!

Reactions: kes
I have to ask the question, why the garage? Have you not got any space in the house?

I would definitely try and put it in the garage. I didn't and I keep wishing I did every time I have to carry them down 2 flights of stairs and up one to get them into my car. Also my cabinets are stupidly above my baby's bedroom so half the time I have to put my guns away really quietly so I don't wake her or face an earful from the mrs. Its Completely impractical having the cabinet in the house in my opinion.

Nick. Try this, A second but SINGLE weapon capacity with a small integral ammunition compartment gun cabinet downstairs so that in the afternoon you can "decant" the weapon of choice for the late night out/early morning back into it before your baby goes to sleep. Shouldn't cost much than £80 and for the family good it's probably well worth it.

I would definitely try and put it in the garage. I didn't and I keep wishing I did every time I have to carry them down 2 flights of stairs and up one to get them into my car. Also my cabinets are stupidly above my baby's bedroom so half the time I have to put my guns away really quietly so I don't wake her or face an earful from the mrs. Its Completely impractical having the cabinet in the house in my opinion.

Very sensible. I really can't understand this business of keeping guns upstairs. Somewhere handy you want them, close by where you keep your boots and outdoor togs.

(The number of photos I see on here of guns on beds suggests some kind of fetish is involved in the choice of storage location in many cases!)

Very sensible. I really can't understand this business of keeping guns upstairs. Somewhere handy you want them, close by where you keep your boots and outdoor togs.

(The number of photos I see on here of guns on beds suggests some kind of fetish is involved in the choice of storage location in many cases!)

Not always possible for those that live in a small modern bungalow. sometimes the attic is the only option.

All I have ever been told to do is have them out of sight from windows and external doors. Nobody has told me to have it upstairs. If you have stairs don't you have a stair cupboard you could site a cabinet in.

I don't have a garage but if I did it'd be the prime location.

As previously said, nice and quiet when coming and going, put it next to the reloading bench, the chiller, all other stalking gear there too and could back the car right up to unload. It's the closest I'll come to affording a man cave or gun room.

I have my cabinet in my garage and at the time of my first application was told aslong as the garage was attached to the main house and had a door from the home into garage it was fine as it was classed as another room and not an outhouse. I do how ever have extra locks on my garage door on the inside which my FEO was happy about.

However I'm in the process of upgrading my cabinet and will be fitting the new one in the house as the temp in the garage does concern me and I keep all my other shooting attire in the room it's being moved to.

Problem is Pedro ease of use or rather not being easy to access then becomes a habit that leads to the gun being left out of its cabinet.

Last edited:
Back