Gwent Police - Online Variation

BRACES of Bristol - Mauser M12 with Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10x56 Illuminated Scope

ApexOrdnance

Gwent police's variation application seems to have gone digital. The option to download the standard form still exists but I figured it may be a little quicker using the online service. It does appear that both grants and renewals can be completed online also. The variation process was relatively easy to navigate until it asks for a photo of your FAC in jpeg format. Despite numerous attempts I could not get all pages within the 5mb limit. So I sent the first page, I figured this would suffice. Apparently not, I received an email the following day requesting all pages. I attached all the images to the response email. Not sure why they need the photos anyway since you still need to send it in with the application. Either way, they currently estimate up to 8 weeks. Has anybody had a variation through gwent police recently or used the online service?

Muntybuck5803

I recently had a variation done online through Essex Police. Very straight forward and came through in about a week I think.
I’m sure there are better ways to do this, but if you get some body else to take the photos of your FAC, then send them to you on Watsapp it should come through in a format that takes up a lot less data (admittedly at lesser quality) but it should be more than good enough for an FAC.
It’s something to do with Watsapp compressing the memory used to send files.

Hope that helps for the future.

ApexOrdnance

I recently had a variation done online through Essex Police. Very straight forward and came through in about a week I think.
I’m sure there are better ways to do this, but if you get some body else to take the photos of your FAC, then send them to you on Watsapp it should come through in a format that takes up a lot less data (admittedly at lesser quality) but it should be more than good enough for an FAC.
It’s something to do with Watsapp compressing the memory used to send files.

Hope that helps for the future.
Great idea, cheers. I'm hoping for a similar level of efficiency from Gwent. Not quite sure why they want the photo's though if they still need the original to amend it. I'm hoping that the whole system will eventually go digital with a driving license style card. We could just swipe our card at the RFD's when buying ammo / firearms.

kip270

I wouldn’t mind paying a bit more to have the driver card idea.
My renewal next year so we will see how I get on with Gwent Police then.👍🏻

ArunT

Time to go digital and centralise it. Would make it easier for everyone with a common standard. Site visits if required can be done by the local constabulary based on the requirement.

Leica Amplus 6