H Mantel bullets

S&L7x57

Sorting through my 270 reloading stuff, I re-discovered a couple of boxes of these bullets.
Is anybody familiar with them, their characteristics and application? Reading up on the web, they appear to be an expensive and high-tech product but has the world moved on?
I am interested in them as regards my previous post 'Loading down for 270 Win'.
By the way, they came as part of an auction lot of mixed 270W ammo (don't worry, I am an RFD!).

H Mantel bullet.JPG

enfieldspares

Nosler Partition are more or less H-Mantel. The theory and in fact the result is a bullet that gives expansion AND penetration.

So the H shape is to give an expanding front up to the "bar" on the H.

The "bar" stops the bullet behind it from expanding (acting like a FMJ bullet) so that part penetrates onwards.

In theory, then, they work at all ranges and all velocities.

So even close in they give the same expansion as at more standard longer distances.

Thus with H-Mantel you won't need to download. That "bar" limits expansion to only that part of the bullet in front of it.

Last edited:

S&L7x57

enfieldspares, thank you, that is sort of what I had worked out but had not made the connection with Partition. My concern came from mention elsewhere of 'fragmentation' of the front part which I thought might be like a ballistic tip and so very destructive. Since I am trying to avoid messy carcass damage, that might not be helpful!

acj375

enfieldspares, thank you, that is sort of what I had worked out but had not made the connection with Partition. My concern came from mention elsewhere of 'fragmentation' of the front part which I thought might be like a ballistic tip and so very destructive. Since I am trying to avoid messy carcass damage, that might not be helpful!
Hi I've used them when stalking .don't know much about the technology, but they are very good rounds ,work very well .Having read enfields thread I can see why.
A friend who has shot more dear (and many other species all over the world ) than any one I know has used the for 25/30 on soft skin game ,swears by them .
I think they are a great rounds .Use to take German Hunters on red roe and fallow never had any problems with them. I found them better than Partitons .
Expensive yes and not widely stoked from my experience, but in one shot one animal down worth it.

enfieldspares

Last edited:

Lupus

Shot the 130 H-Mantel in 270 for a number of years. Worked very well, less carcase damage than the T-Mantel (soft point spitzer), but just as effective on all species I shot with them (red, roe, and sika).

Wolfie

S&L7x57

Thanks all. Looks like I have just found a use for something I never intended to buy!

Glyn 1

I used the 130grn .270 H Mantel in RWS factory rounds for a couple of years and still rate them as the best bullet that I have ever used.

Heym SR20

German friends and hunters in general really rate the H-Mantel bullet. Bear in mind that a typical hunter is sitting in a highseat or on stand at a drive and anything from Fox, Racoon, Roe up large red can step out along with their main quarry the Wildboar. Mostly wildboar are at the 40 / 50 kg size and frankly anysoft point bullet from a 6.5mm upwards will do the job. But big male Wild boar do step out occasionally and these have very thick skin over the vital areas, can weigh up to 350 / 400 kgs live weight and you need to penetrate several inches of solid hide and muscle before you get to anything vital.

The H-Mantel was developed as a bullet that gives lots of knock down power and energy transmission on even quite a small animal, but has a solid shank that will just keep penetration right the way through the vitals.

They are not cheap - €2 a bullet, but that's friends over there load in their hunting rifles, especially those that they are going to use on big boar, or in a tracking / follow up situation.

I have a box of 7mm H-Mantels to load up.

The other twin cores were developed by Brenneke - the TIG and TOG, which RWS now load as the ID and UNI Classic. I have used the ID classic and they certainly thump, but whilst ideal for deer are bit soft for boar. They are also somewhat flat nosed, whereas the H-Mantel are a nice aerodynamic shape.

Uncas

I have used the 187gr H-mantle in the 8x68s at well over 3,000 fps anything hit with that was mostly ( thunderstruck ).