h4895 reduced velocity 155gr 308

ashray

good morning,has any one loaded their 308 with reduced loads using h4895 powder . i have read that i can use a 60% load <27grs>using 155gr a-max bullets and according to p-max this would give me 1795 fps out of my 20" barrel and still be an accurate load. i know i may have to adjust upwards to gain the accuracy i require but this load SHOULD be sub sonic and suitable for my needs. i have a good supply of h4895 powder and the 155gr a-max bullets

Muir

I have. Many pounds worth under cast bullets and jacketed. H4895 was the only powder I loaded for about three years back in the eighties. You can load to 60% of max.

What it does in your rifle is for you discover. Load some up and tell us how they shoot. ~Muir

ashray

good evening muir,i will do and see how they work ,they will not be subsonic but will hopefully be a bit quieter!,thank you for your reply.

Yorric

It may be a red herring, but at the moment the Nra are reporting the cause of a recent rifle failure was under charged ammo causing a severe pressure spike.

I'm not convinced that they are right but do your research before you pull the trigger.
Ian

borbal

i have read that i can use a 60% load <27grs>using 155gr a-max bullets and according to p-max this would give me 1795 fps out of my 20" barrel and still be an accurate load.
Well, you will have seen the warning - in red - on the results page of P-Max that said, "Low loading density. Results may be unreliable".

And then there is another warning - in red - that said, "This program does not take the place of a reloading manual published by the relevant powder company for estimating starting loads or maximum loads."

And finally, P-Max says nothing about whether it will be an "accurate" load.

Just so you know. . . .

Foxyboy43

I can’t speak for H4895 but if you are after a great subsonic .308 round then source Hogdgon Titegroup powder .308 data. There is a safe subsonic load given in their load data for 8 gns and 165gns (?) bullet. I have used this on many occasions for .308 and 7.62x54R - it is extremely pleasant to shoot and although “rainbowic“ in trajectory is very accurate - see my avatar opposite - shot with a 1942 Mosin Nagant.
🦊🦊

Muir

good evening muir,i will do and see how they work ,they will not be subsonic but will hopefully be a bit quieter!,thank you for your reply.
Now you have the horrors of reduced loads and specter of unreliable results to deal with.... You poor ba&tard. I hope you'll be able to sleep tonight. :)~Muir