H4H shoot 2019

ndt man

Tiz true feller its just big guns left for long range bud ,The only thing from Feb next year i'll be shooting is paper and steel at silly ranges while doing my best impression of a beached whale , I shall be doing the fallow then from Jan 2020 is when i'll stop for good , So there be no more silly O'clock waiting in could wet and foggy ditches or nodding off in high seats ,drinking coffee thats been made for 6 hrs , just hoping for a wondrous moment in time to step out ? so i can then drag it away :stag: I'v worn out the metal joints and old bones then add to this the feeling that i don't need to kill anymore just for the sake of it , this has overtaken the thrills of stalking , I enjoy watching deer more now days and i can do that for free pmsl I am not saying if i see any animal in pain i would not end its life , and iam not turning into a grass eater anytime soon lol. 40++ years of stalking and field sports is more than some have in a full lifetime ,Happy times with some real nice guys thats my reward and i cant have wished for more :tiphat:
Oh deer Well all the best mate I'm sure we will bump into each other at some point. Atb Mike

243varmint

Tiz true feller its just big guns left for long range bud ,The only thing from Feb next year i'll be shooting is paper and steel at silly ranges while doing my best impression of a beached whale , I shall be doing the fallow then from Jan 2020 is when i'll stop for good , So there be no more silly O'clock waiting in could wet and foggy ditches or nodding off in high seats ,drinking coffee thats been made for 6 hrs , just hoping for a wondrous moment in time to step out ? so i can then drag it away :stag: I'v worn out the metal joints and old bones then add to this the feeling that i don't need to kill anymore just for the sake of it , this has overtaken the thrills of stalking , I enjoy watching deer more now days and i can do that for free pmsl I am not saying if i see any animal in pain i would not end its life , and iam not turning into a grass eater anytime soon lol. 40++ years of stalking and field sports is more than some have in a full lifetime ,Happy times with some real nice guys thats my reward and i cant have wished for more :tiphat:
Paul.
I wish you well for your next venture. Good luck with the long range stuff. Another art to master.
Enjoyed your company on every shoot since Mike ran it at Monmouth.
Myself and Chris who have attended it since 2008 when it was the March and Shoot,Well Chris has done all of them I think. It's always a good day and good banter.

One thing I really miss is our old mate Pete ( Roedinator). Always good to shoot with him and one of the good guys.
RIP Pete

ATB
Jon

paul o'

Never forgotten he was one of the gents of the shooting world :british::tiphat: Remember he's happy red face and banter so much left to give . R.I.P Pete
All the best to you feller .its an old skill that iam going back too full circle just like life lol

243varmint

Never forgotten he was one of the gents of the shooting world :british::tiphat: Remember he's happy red face and banter so much left to give . R.I.P Pete
All the best to you feller .its an old skill that iam going back too full circle just like life lol

Good luck mate.
Well our sport is doing well for future years in our house. My lad who always likes to come is mad keen on all feildsports and is out with me whenever I go.
So hopefully we can all pass something on.

8x57

Distinguished Member
Any one know the winning score?
1894 (SD user name not his score) took the Trophy this year for top aggregate score of the yellow card initial series. I came close loosing to him by only two points. I will see if I can dig the scores out in the morning.
I do know that there were no perfect scores on the initial yellow cards of the stalkers test (statics) and only one on the re-entries. For some unknown reason most of us had great difficulty with the static targets this year. My scores on successive re-entries got lower and lower at each attempt despite my groups getting tighter and tighter. I personally thought that I had finally pulled it all together on my final try at the statics only to find that while I had a pretty tight group for most of my shots they were all low and left on the target. The reason for this will always remain a mystery to me.
The running boar and running deer events as per normal, if you will excuse the pun, are always a bit hit or miss as most of us just don't get enough practise on them. None the less there were some fairly respectable scores lodged on both with one shooter scoring I think 83 or 84 on the boar.

P.S. My wife has just said that off the top of her head she seems to think that the winning score was 179 (out of a possible maximum of 250 points?).

Last edited:

8x57

Distinguished Member
Yes a real ambassador for shooting and a proper gent who is greatly missed. There's something missing at these shoots without Pete, even if only the good humoured banter and his very competitive nature.

Klenchblaize

I personally thought that I had finally pulled it all together on my final try at the statics only to find that while I had a pretty tight group for most of my shots they were all low and left on the target. The reason for this will always remain a mystery to me.
It would have been good to check your zero straight after that 10-shot series if the RO would allow it. That would have provided the answer.

K

Chasey

1894 (SD user name not his score) took the Trophy this year for top aggregate score of the yellow card initial series. I came close loosing to him by only two points. I will see if I can dig the scores out in the morning.
I do know that there were no perfect scores on the initial yellow cards of the stalkers test (statics) and only one on the re-entries. For some unknown reason most of us had great difficulty with the static targets this year. My scores on successive re-entries got lower and lower at each attempt despite my groups getting tighter and tighter. I personally thought that I had finally pulled it all together on my final try at the statics only to find that while I had a pretty tight group for most of my shots they were all low and left on the target. The reason for this will always remain a mystery to me.
The running boar and running deer events as per normal, if you will excuse the pun, are always a bit hit or miss as most of us just don't get enough practise on them. None the less there were some fairly respectable scores lodged on both with one shooter scoring I think 83 or 84 on the boar.

P.S. My wife has just said that off the top of her head she seems to think that the winning score was 179 (out of a possible maximum of 250 points?).

Blimey your kidding ??? I got 100 on the statics but only 50 on Bore and 30 on deer :( Got 180, but didn't think I was close to having a shot at wining. Obviously no running boor experts this year.

I was thinking of selling a few stalks for H4H don't know if its too late for this years donation, but can I still get them to donate on to the same site?

Dalua

..had a pretty tight group for most of my shots they were all low and left on the target. The reason for this will always remain a mystery to me.
While I can't claim any tight groups on the statics, my first attempt did tend towards the lower left. My score improved on the second attempt.
I was using a 4x 'scope, and couldn't make out the scoring-rings very easily. I therefore explain the poor first attempt with the hypothesis that although I knew where the 10-ring was, I subconsciously held lower and more forward (left) because that is a better place to shoot a roebuck.

The second go I did better, but was very deliberately holding higher and a little further back.

Did many try the 'Quick Brown Fox' discipline?

stratts

Any one know the winning score?
I know that Dale (Daddyo) my shooting buddy (and drinking partner) won the running deer and I was second. And I also now know that I was actually winning, with him second, until I graciously let him have another go as we were running out of time at which point he took first place!! 36 points 1st and 34 2nd I think, but I claimed his first prize as mine was done without a practice! :norty:

8x57

Distinguished Member
Blimey your kidding ??? I got 100 on the statics but only 50 on Bore and 30 on deer :( Got 180, but didn't think I was close to having a shot at wining. Obviously no running boor experts this year.

I was thinking of selling a few stalks for H4H don't know if its too late for this years donation, but can I still get them to donate on to the same site?
I will dig out the score tickets later when I get a chance. I take it that you did return your core cards to Beth as commented towards the end of the day that a number of tickets had not been returned and that people had already left.

Chasey

I will dig out the score tickets later when I get a chance. I take it that you did return your core cards to Beth as commented towards the end of the day that a number of tickets had not been returned and that people had already left.
Daft now I think about it but I had assumed the scoring was all electric :( didn't think to hand in the score cards

8x57

Distinguished Member
Daft now I think about it but I had assumed the scoring was all electric :( didn't think to hand in the score cards
At the morning briefing I did ask all shooters to return their score cards to Beth especially the yellow ones, which were to be given preference by the moving target operators, and are the ones used for awarding the SD trophy. I have just gone through all the yellow tickets that were returned and the re-entry cards that we still had in the box and I couldn't find any of yours Chasey. So unfortunately it looks like you may have dipped out this time as it sounds like you had some fairly decent scores but misunderstood the need to return your score cards.

I've also just checked the yellow score cards as when I mentioned the winning score last night we were relying solely on memory. 1894 who took the trophy actually scored 179 points and I scored 177 third was Paul'O who scored 175.
I could submit a list of all yellow cards that were returned that would show the range (highest score 179, lowest 127) but some shooters might feel embarrassed and wouldn't like that. However it must be remembered that some of the shooters are relatively new to the sport and the various series shot are unfamiliar to many others especially the two moving target events.

spannulman

Could the statics anomaly be down to the previous shots obscuring the centre ring? I could see the outer rings ok through 4x scope but couldn’t see the centre because of all the previous shots so was guessing the 10 ring by using the most shot area as aiming point.

I did ok compared to last year but still struggled with the push me -pull you targets. I don’t consider myself competitive at all but my scores in the first ‘go’ were better than the afternoon, ‘no pressure’, attempt. Not sure what that means but maybe I need peer pressure to try harder or focus? Or just eat less at lunch.

ThNks for posting the pics Mike. I can now show friends what they missed and hopefully get some others to attend.

Billy- no-mates.