Hair loss on our dog? Any thoughts please?

FrenchieBoy

Just wondering if any of you can give any ideas without me having to take our dog to a vet. Over the last couple of days we have noticed a couple of patched where the hair is getting quite thin. Our dog is about about 20(ish) months old, a male and has had the snip! He is quite happy and does not show any signs of irritation and does not scratch - He is treated regularly with "Spot On Flea and Tick Treatment". he gets a good balanced diet, and most days he gets a spoon of Rapeseed Oil on his food which seems to keep his coat healthy and shining. He gets plenty of exercise and enjoys a good rub down with a towel if he gets wet while out walking and if he gets really muddy and dirty he gets a bath with a bit of the wife's shampoo and towelled dry afterwards.
There are 2 patches where the hair is starting to get a bit thin, one on each side of his body just in front of his back legs. I would not describe them as bald patches by any means but the hair is definitely getting a bit thin. These patches are only about a couple of inches in diameter, there is no reddening of the skin and no signs of any scratches or wounds.
It isn't too easy getting Harley to stand still and pose for photos but I have managed to get a couple of photos to show what I mean.
Any ideas please guys?
Harley hair loss 001.JPGHarley hair loss 002.JPGHarley hair loss 003.JPG

palmer_mike

Our dog lost hair from his back in between the haunches and on his tail.
Took quite a while and a change of vets before he was diagnosed with an under active thyroid. He’s on tablets now and all the hair has grown back.......

FrenchieBoy

I ought to add that this has only been noticeable over the last couple of days. We have not changed his diet or "daily routine" and since we have had him (Near enough a year now) we have alway given him plenty of stroking and massaging of his neck, back, sides and chest - he thinks it's because we love him but we do it more to "stimulate" his hair and skin!
Edit: I do not begrudge it but I would rather not have to pay for extortionate and often overpriced vet bills unless it is necessary but if need be I would not hesitate to! I was wondering if it might be worth using a GOOD QUALITY canine medicated shampoo first - If this might be worth a try could anyone suggest a highly recommended one please?

Fair Hill

From my experience I've noticed too much raw meat has caused this, it may well not be the case here but if it is I'd have the dog trimmed and change the diet.

Cans of sardines and raw eggs sorted my bitch out.

Fosbery Holster

Stop using your your wife’s shampoo it will be too strong for the dogs skin. I don’t know if it’s just a marketing ploy but l think a dog shampoo would be more appropriate,
We always use the Bravecto Flea and Tick treatment, one tablet every six months, never seen any side effects.
Never see any fleas or ticks on the two of them.

shakey jake

what spot on flea treatment are you using? my terrier used to chew himself bald if one flea bit him, after being messed about by young vets an old vet said wash him with head and shoulders and give him half a piriton tablet a day for a month. flea treatment wise i wouldnt use any thing with fipronil in now its old and resistance is high, there are several new actives that are far better

starr shot

A friend of mine had his dogged snipped and the dog lost a lot of hair and I mean a lot.didn’t effect the dog’s ability todo anything or seem to effect him at all.When my mate told the vet about it vet said it’s not unusal

FrenchieBoy

stop using the "Spot On Flea and Tick Treatment" and report back.

I've not used any "Spot On" treatment since my original post (Having said that I am not saying that the "problem" was anything to do with the "Spot On") and have been using Johnsons Tea Tree Skin Calm - I have not made any other changes (Diet etc). There does not seem to be any more hair loss and the fur does in fact look like it is starting to "thicken up" and grow back a little. Our dog seems quite happy and is showing no signs or it irritating him or causing any discomfort and he does not scratch or nibble at it so I'll carry on for a little while and see how things go and let you know how things are going later on.

wildfowler.250

Symmetrical flank hair loss can be cushings/thyroid/hormonal. To be honest it’s hard give a proper opinion without going in and getting physical exam/good history at the vets but glad it’s improving.

As a side note, some of the flea/tick products seem to be a lot more effective than others

glasshalffull

Had a dog with this many years ago vet said 100% fungal infection, £40 for medicated shampoo. It didn't work. It turned out to be cement dust from pallets in the dog run. So keep an open mind the penny dropped one evening I'd paused to think about it removed the pallets and hey presto..

limey

Had a boxer dog with similar problems we tried all the medication prescribed by the vet,but found adding kelp tablets to food the best treatment at a fraction of the price of the prescription medication

FrenchieBoy

After much "research" we put the loss of hair on our dog down to Dermodex - (Deromdex Canis).
Rather than spending a small fortune on treatment at the vets I sorted the problem out myself for just £2.50 by buying a bottle of Raw Cider Apple Vinegar. This was diluted to a ratio of 50/50 water and raw cider apple vinegar and liberally rubbed in to the effected areas twice daily for the first week. I then followed the first week's treatment up for another two weeks by rubbing the diluted Raw Cider Apple Vinegar in once a day. The only problem that I found was that Harley loved the taste of the cider apple vinegar so I had to watch him as he would try to drink the bowl of liquid down before I had a chance to rub it all in to his skin - No harm there as it is fairly good for the dog's digestive and immune system anyway when given in moderation.
Both of the effected areas are now clear and most of the hair has grown back, (As the two photos below show). On the left side the hair is still just a little thin (It barely shows unless you know what you are looking for) but there is plenty of new healthy growth showing in the thin patch so I am now back to having a happy, healthy and good looking dog for just a little time and research and just £2.50 for the Raw Cider Apple Vinegar rather than having to pay a small fortune at the vets.
Hopefully this might be a good and useful tip for any of you dog owners who have a dog that starts to show signs of Dermodex - A slight reddening of the skin and a little hair loss in "localised patches"! However I should add that if the condition gets worse rather than better then you maybe ought to consult your vet!
The only thing to watch if you are buying Cider apple vinegar for this type of treatment is to make sure that it says "Raw" or/and "Mother" on the label as that will contain the active cultures needed to treat your dog.
Dermodex 001.JPGDermodex 003.JPG

Fosbery Holster

Great result FrenchieBoy for you and your dog. Will keep that in mind if ever l have the need.
Perseverance has paid off, well done you !

FrenchieBoy

Great result FrenchieBoy for you and your dog. Will keep that in mind if ever l have the need.
Perseverance has paid off, well done you !
I do still run a little of the Johnson's Tea Tree Skin Calm into his coat just as a "safeguard" as Tea Tree Oil (Diluted) is another possible treatment for Dermodex.

banus

good morning,i hope you get the same loving treatment that you give your wife and your dog,keep well and hope all the best for your family and that nice looking dog,all the best

Red Dragon 2

Our youngest bitch, who whelped 5 weeks ago, went into a super moult, bare patches all over, diagnosed as a hormone imbalance by the vet. Gave her a shot which should last 6 weeks and already the hair is growing back.

FrenchieBoy

Our youngest bitch, who whelped 5 weeks ago, went into a super moult, bare patches all over, diagnosed as a hormone imbalance by the vet. Gave her a shot which should last 6 weeks and already the hair is growing back.
I hope all goes well for your bitch and the pups! :thumb: