Half a Sackfull......

With the combine racing the harvest away for me it opens up where the Foxes and Muntjac have been hiding, however my favourite quarry is pigeons as it might be memorable to shoot a nice buck but a steady trickle of pigeons twisting in the wind can last a good few hours...

Yesterday I saw a line of birds crossing over on to a wheat field so went to take a look! with 1/2 an hour of recon I text the farmer this morning at 7 as no good calling once they get the combine cranked up!

Pigeon shooting at weekends is an exercise in how much people will want to use the field you just want to sit in alone!!

2 pairs of horse rides around 1/2 an hour apart, the Kiwi tractor driver brushing the headland (had to dismantle the hide)

In-between I managed to shoot 60 pigeons picking 52 as 8 went over the stream into some paddocks so I kept Chip this side as you just never know....

The bailers turned up as I clicked 60 so that was it lol

As usual my spaniel did far more than I asked him to....

015_zpseakfvoxc.jpg

Tim.243

Last edited:
Well done Tim.243, a nice way to spend a few hours and I bet the dog enjoyed the workout too. Doesn't do any harm either for the farmer to see you putting the effort in to keep the pigeon numbers down on his behalf. The fact that it's challenging sport as well just means everybody is a winner.

nice write up, pigeon shooting is very underated. If you can hit them when they are using the wind to full advantage, you wont miss a lot else.

Well done Tim.243, a nice way to spend a few hours and I bet the dog enjoyed the workout too. Doesn't do any harm either for the farmer to see you putting the effort in to keep the pigeon numbers down on his behalf. The fact that it's challenging sport as well just means everybody is a winner.

Thank you.......

nice write up, pigeon shooting is very underated. If you can hit them when they are using the wind to full advantage, you wont miss a lot else.

I like them fast as otherwise when they are coming to a stop you will tend to stop the swing...

Tim.243

Well done Tim sounds like you had another great days sport..
I get where you are coming from regarding the horse riders that's why I try and go weekdays if I can, saying that I still got 1 come around the field last week I just use that time to have a pick up and a sandwich lol

I hope I can have just has good day tomorrow.

Well done Tim, you do know how to give the Pigeon's a good bashing :) You've also clearly done wonders with the pup, I imagine he more than a pleasure to have out with you now.

Back