Hands free or 'Double' rifle slings

kes

Hello. I have a Remington 700 in .223 with a varmint barrel and a T8 which is a ***** to carry as the barrel and mod make it unstable. I want to buy a double sling like Niggeloh or Vero Vittini (amazon) to allow hands free carrying whilst either using this or my new NV rifle. Anyone used one and can recommend them?
I like the look of the TAC version but $200 is a bit steep for the 'elite' and £120 for the 'regular' is about the same as the other 2 above. Help would be appreciated. Thanks

AckAck

Google 'Z Aim Pro Stalker Rifle Slings'. Bought one at the Kelso Deer Fair last year and it does the job, holds the rifle tight and secure and 'hands free' but can be quickly released. So good I bought another one for my .223 from A1 Tackle Shop. They are priced at approx £34!

nun_hunter

I've got the Niggeloh (£45) and it does the job fine for me. There is a little bit of movement but I'd find it restrictive otherwise. If you try and take it off like a rucksack then it can be a tad slow but if you use the clips to separate the strap then it's no slower than a traditional sling.

jackfish

I've had both and for me the Z-aim pro stalker wins hands down. Rifle is a lot more stable on the back compared to the niggeloh. Great kit the Z-aim pro stalker & nice and cheap to boot!

Heym SR20

Best advice would be to trade in the T8 against something much smaller and lighter. Pm Mungo - his mod on his .222 hardly makes a difference to its balance. I have carried T8 and PES modded rifles. The only way I could comfortably carry was in the crook of the arm like you see old photos of troops carrying SLRs or Bren guns. Or you need to make a sling attachment on the barrel. I would start with a piece of para cord in a slip loop in a Prussic loop that slides up to the base of the mod. The other end attached to you sling. Make sure it's slack and it should nt affect accuracy when you fire. I have a combination gun and am getting a Rigby that both have sling mountings 8 inches from the muzzle. They are very comfortable to carry.

the new silenced straight pull from blaser - Topic

If you can't trade in you T8 you can prob do a deal with a steam roller that's lost it's wheel.

AckAck

Replaced my T8 with a Hardy Gen IV mod. What a difference for the better! Much lighter, improved balance and shoots better.

kes

I do think it needs an update !
Been looking at a few others for a new gun but balance crossing fences etc is always going to be a problem without 'restraint'.
Thanks all for replies !

Erik Hamburger

The 'Z Aim Pro Stalker Rifle Sling' is great if you can stalk 'light' i.e. without a backpack or Roe sack. However, if you combine it with a backpack/roe sack the strap that goes over your chest behind your back can get trapped between your back and the backpack. That makes bringing the rifle up to aim clumsy and noisy, and you'll need both hands to free it, so you have to let go of your bino's or sticks first. I imagine that backpack slings have the same issue - the convenience of stalking hands-free is great but the inconvenience of stalking without a backpack/roe sack isn't.

Mr. Gain

The 'Z Aim Pro Stalker Rifle Sling' is great if you can stalk 'light' i.e. without a backpack or Roe sack. However, if you combine it with a backpack/roe sack the strap that goes over your chest behind your back can get trapped between your back and the backpack. That makes bringing the rifle up to aim clumsy and noisy, and you'll need both hands to free it, so you have to let go of your bino's or sticks first. I imagine that backpack slings have the same issue - the convenience of stalking hands-free is great but the inconvenience of stalking without a backpack/roe sack isn't.
A good solution to this problem, and an alternative to the Z-Aim sling, is the 3HGR one that I've mentioned on here before. In this case the secondary strap can go across your back and around your neck (I know that sounds bad, but it really isn't!), making it easier to use when wearing a rucksack. They're tough as anything too. I have both Z-Aim and 3HGR slings and appreciate both, but for a heavier rifle I'd go for the 3HGR.

HTH

mChavez

Apologies for a silly question from a newbie, but is there a reason why you would want to carry the rifle across the back muzzle up rather than muzzle down? I'm looking to get a custom sling and trying to find a good design to "adopt".
The only problem I see with muzzle down carrying is that mud can get into the barrel if I fall, but with some isolation tape across the bore, is that really a risk? A fall would probably knock the scope out anyway and I'll need to re-zero.

Thanks!

McKenzie

Muzzle up is only really a practical option when you're not using a moderator; then it's much more comfortable.

exmarksman9870

I have a z aim on my rem 700 .243 but on my rem 700 .223 vssf heavy barrel in a AICS... i use a tab gear simple biathlon sling...very good bit of kit m8...was about £ 80.00.....

Gaothead

I experimented simply running a cord from the narrow bit on the stock round my back and up across my chest and tied to the strap at breast hight. Worked quite well with a hitch that I could untie just by pulling the end like half a bow.

lazza

Buy a good quality ammo pouch adjust the length of your sling and tuck the stock behind the pouch. Works for me with a heavy barrel with a T8

bewsher500

A good solution to this problem, and an alternative to the Z-Aim sling, is the 3HGR one that I've mentioned on here before. In this case the secondary strap can go across your back and around your neck (I know that sounds bad, but it really isn't!), making it easier to use when wearing a rucksack. They're tough as anything too. I have both Z-Aim and 3HGR slings and appreciate both, but for a heavier rifle I'd go for the 3HGR.

HTH
i can't see this working for any scenario
i want a sling I can release without waving my arms around
would have made more sense if the detachable part was the bit on the opposite side of your head

3HGR - Harness and safety sling / 3HGR valjas ja turvahihna - YouTube

Lauri K

i can't see this working for any scenario
i want a sling I can release without waving my arms around
would have made more sense if the detachable part was the bit on the opposite side of your head
Hi,

my name is Lauri Kakkonen - a.k.a. the guy in the video you posted.

I actually know a lot of guys who prefer to use the harness the way you described - the actual sling goes over the right (shooting) shoulder and the support strap goes over the left shoulder. There's nothing wrong with that setup (it's actually more comfortable with lighter rifles) although I personally prefer the way showcased in the video with really heavy/suppressed rifles since I want the sling the take most of the weight.

I've noticed the incoming traffic from stalking directory to my website on more than one occasions and I decided to register myself. I tried to find accurate forum rules and I'm not sure about the forum policy with "manufacturers" attending conversation - please tell me if I'm offending the forum policies or doing something wrong.