Hanging carcasses

nuttyspaniel

Well were eventually getting into summer at last! Now in the winter my shed suffices with the help of the cold temperatures. Now comw the summer I struggle to keep the beasts cool and try and shoot between friday night and sunday morn to give me time to strip the beast. This isnt ideal as i like to hang my beast for a week, and a brick larder is out of the question just now, and I done have a garage.

I was wondering what you all do/ use for hanging beasts?

nutty

tartinjock

Distinguished Member
A modified drinks cooler works well, the Syndicate I shoot uses one, keeps it outside his back door. I would think if that's a problem for you with people objecting to seeing what's it then cover the front glass tint or even paint it so knowone can see what's in there, put a hasp and padalock on it. 2 Roe with ease, 1 Sika/Fallow won't hold more than a 70/80lb beast though even topped,tailed and hoofed.

Hope that helps.

nuttyspaniel

Jock I looked at the cooler and I am thinking of getting 1 but thought it would have to be inside so to speak. Is it OK facing the weather? Or has he sheltering it?

nutty

Beowulf

Nutty just put a bit of a shelter over it mate. Better safe than sorry. I'm about to stick our old American style fridge in the garage. It will hold a fallow or two roe.

nuttyspaniel

Happy days!! I am going to build a new Kennel/shed, slab 1/2 the green for the runs. But the cost of that has in effect put it on hold, I was hanging of till I got the shed built. I could use larch panel fencing pop a roof on it and Im of and running.

cheers
happy Nutty

stone

hi nutty
i tried most things from coke coolers to a butchers display cabinet and even buttering up the local butcher for a little fridge space and finaly settled on building my own fridge with larder and sink units nothing to special it will depend on how much you shoot and the species you shoot
if you hav the room then forgo the cost and look at a cheap walkin fridge unit and by a spend the money on a refridgeration unit or even knock up a few thermalite block walls onto the side of the garage with a solid upvc door and frame insulated roof with tin sheets to protect from the weather and fit a refridgeration unit to that
otherwise down to essexs, kick car out of garage and new home created for frdge
as the deer comes first :lol:

Beowulf

Hi Pete E,
The fridge is about 175cms tall, 70 cms wide, 70 cms deep. Its not massive but with a little bit of pushing and shoving you can get a small Fallow or two Roe in it. I mostly shoot Muntjac so no problem there. :D However with Stone only ten minutes away I've had a few beasts hung in his larder. He is good like that bless him. ;)

nuttyspaniel

Stone cheers for that mate. If I had the dosh my thermalite building would be up, thats what Im waiting on, but the costs would be in the range of 2-3k!!! But that would also double as a kennel with an interier wall dividing the 2! The ground work with drains and including type 1 would take up about 1k, the build at mates rates would be 400ish with me labouring then the rough cast again at mates rates 400ish. The block would run about 500 then there is timber etc for doors Then the fittings for my game room! My wife wants me to do this as we intend to line our dogs in the future but unfortunately the 2 bitches are house dogs!! This was on for the spring past but when it came to the off it was the ground works which scupperd the build as my mates didnt want to go ahead and the whole lot possibly subside. Now if I only had a concrete garage. Ive lost too many geese and ducks early season and luckily no beasts but I tell you even if I loose a goose it hurts! I dont see the point of shooting anything to bin it thats not the done thing in my eyes! But at present Im looking at our local press watching and in the mean time Ill build a lean to. I have a metal shed but I think height will beat it if not the sheds light enough to lift over a chiller so that always another possibility.

cheers
nutty

buckup

Beowulf said:
Nutty just put a bit of a shelter over it mate. Better safe than sorry. I'm about to stick our old American style fridge in the garage. It will hold a fallow or two roe.

Steve, I hate to say it mate but you ought to see your optician, then thump the guy who sold you that fridge! I bet it doesn't get very cold, but then you never have to defrost it either :lol: :lol:

Beowulf

Blimey Buckup that's a beauty mate!.......Hang on I'm admiring a caravan! I must be getting old, pass me the tartan slippers and my cherry flavoured pipe tobacco. :(

Nutty another idea I have had. Make yourself a small concrete base, put up a wooden frame; plywood the outside and on the inside use white plastic boarding or tongue and grove. It only needs to be big enough to hold a hanging bar and a small prep area. I'm thinking of doing this but installing the fridge to. I'm in the same boat mate, trying to keep the cost down. :confused:

Andy L

I was looking on ebay a month or so ago and there was a walk in freezer. I emailed him to see if it could be used as a chiller instead of a freezer and he said he had a chiller as well. I bought both for £600 and they are about 6ft by 6ft each so fantastic for hanging a number of beasts in and then freezing the lot! Chiller needed regassing but I bought a can of air conditioning gas and sealer from halfords and now it works perfectly.

G

Grantoliver

You might try getting one on a trailer. I got one from ebay last year and although I havent actually tried it yet, the idea is that I can take it stalking with me, store any shot deer, get them chilled on way back and then store them in the same unit when they are butchered upon my return. Cost £350 I think. Shall let you know if it works like that.

Grant

G

Grantoliver

Shall take some photos for you pete. It can run off of 240v single phase or 12v. It needs gassing and i need to have a second supply added to the truck to run the compressor whilst on the move. As I say conceptually I think its a great plan but it might not be so good in practice. Its first use will probably fetching some animals back from the abbatoir.

Grant

Roe Hunter

Hi folks

Being relatively new to stalking (2 years), and so far only shooting a couple of Roe each year, I don't currently have any chilled area, and as it usually seems to be fairly warm weather when I shoot my bucks, I tend to just hang overnight in my Roe net, then skin and butcher the next day.

The meat has been superbly tender and full of flavour (infinitlely better than anything I ever bought in a butcher's before I started stalking).

But am I missing out by not hanging Roe? I did have someone tell me when I first started, that Roe didn't really need hanging.

Would value your advice, and any thoughts on hanging Munties, as I am hoping to start getting Munties soon.

Rgds

RH