Harassment

monynut

This is nothing to do with deerstalking but had a situation this evening while out lamping.
l was driving down a public access road that has land on either side that l have permission on, the road has a small farm that is now a private house
on it, l lamped both sides of the road and made a point like l always do not to lamp on the property, l couldn't anyway as it has a large hedge around it.
A few minutes later when l was on one of the private farm tracks a vehicle drove up behind me head lights on and shining a lamp into my rear view mirror as l stopped the motor pulled up beside me hurling abuse at me through the window saying l had put a £6000.00 horse through a fence and disturbing his peace and quiet because l had lamped on his property which as l said l had not.
At no time was the rifle out of it slip while driving down the road or even when the guy and his mate turned up on the farm track, l intend to inform the farm manager and also the shoot manager of what went on asap.
What are my legal rights regarding this situation, l know the guys were trespassing, any input would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
M

I imagine you have insurance through BASC or some other organisation? Get their 'legal eagles' on to it.

I was getting grief off the local council for supposedly lamping with lurchers in a public park. I was infact walking my dogs at 6 oclock at night on a dark winter's evening and therefore had a torch with me in order to locate and clean up any dog mess.
By the time BASC had finished with the Council, BASC were ready to put in the local press that the council had failed as a land owner to control vermin on their land and were allowing large numbers of foxes and rats to spread mess and disease which had the potential to harm members of the public and their dogs. They soon scuttled back under their rock!

Different case I know, but BASC work bloody quick to jump to your defence! Plus it will put the wind up these people.

Good luck Monynut! It sounds like an unpleasant experience that you could have done without. Surely the horse's owner knowing that the horse was highly strung should have secured the horse correctly in the first place? It sounds like a race horse, Arab blood line. They jump at their own shadow! How were you to know?

Cheers Beowulf, l am awaiting the outcome of the farm manager and the shoot manager visiting him today before l contact the basc and maybe even the police to lodge a formal complaint against the guy, you know the ironic thing about it is he was complaining about the lamp so what does he do he waves an even more powerful lamp around his property probably spooking the c**p out of all his livestock, anyway watch this space l will post the outcome of the situation.

M

monynut said:
Cheers Beowulf, l am awaiting the outcome of the farm manager and the shoot manager visiting him today before l contact the basc and maybe even the police to lodge a formal complaint against the guy, you know the ironic thing about it is he was complaining about the lamp so what does he do he waves an even more powerful lamp around his property probably spooking the c**p out of all his livestock, anyway watch this space l will post the outcome of the situation.

M

Any news to report?

Rabbit.

No news at the moment, twice l have made arrangements to go with the farm and shoot managers to sort things out with this guy and they have been cancelled at the last moment, but he has been seen by the farm manager and told that it is normal shoot activities taking place and we are doing nothing wrong and he has no right to enter the farm property to have a go at me or anyone else.

Since the incident l have learnt that he has had several conflicts with other people on and around the estate so this guy seems to be a bit of a nutter with an ever increasing reputation for being a "Richard cranium".

Hopefully l will have something to post shortly.

monynut said:
Rabbit.

No news at the moment, twice l have made arrangements to go with the farm and shoot managers to sort things out with this guy and they have been cancelled at the last moment, but he has been seen by the farm manager and told that it is normal shoot activities taking place and we are doing nothing wrong and he has no right to enter the farm property to have a go at me or anyone else.

Since the incident l have learnt that he has had several conflicts with other people on and around the estate so this guy seems to be a bit of a nutter with an ever increasing reputation for being a "Richard cranium".

Hopefully l will have something to post shortly.

He might well be a "Richard Cranium". But he could well be one that causes you a great deal of grief.

He only needs to make a complaint to the law to start the wheels turning. As all complaints have to be investigated. They could ask you to place your firearms into storage whilst the matter is under investigation. It has been known :cry: The one I read about was a bloke from County Durham about 3 -4 years ago. He eventually got the all clear but it took 4 months.

He might well be a "Richard Cranium". But he could well be one that causes you a great deal of grief.

He only needs to make a complaint to the law to start the wheels turning. As all complaints have to be investigated. They could ask you to place your firearms into storage whilst the matter is under investigation. It has been known :cry: The one I read about was a bloke from County Durham about 3 -4 years ago. He eventually got the all clear but it took 4 months.

l am sure that given the chance that is exactly what he will do, l have given his area of the estate a wide birth since the incident.

l hope we can come to an amicable conclusion to this problem when we do get to see him, the estate and shoot do seem to be giving me full support in the matter, he is one of those people who likes to throw his weight around and quite frankly he is getting on the wrong side of a lot of people there, l think and hope all he is doing is digging a bigger hole for himself, hopefully :lol:

Sounds like a waiting game Monynut. I think you should show him your best poker face and let him make an arse of himself. Seems as though he is heading for a fall.;)

monynut said:
l am sure that given the chance that is exactly what he will do, l have given his area of the estate a wide birth since the incident.

l hope we can come to an amicable conclusion to this problem when we do get to see him, the estate and shoot do seem to be giving me full support in the matter, he is one of those people who likes to throw his weight around and quite frankly he is getting on the wrong side of a lot of people there, l think and hope all he is doing is digging a bigger hole for himself, hopefully :lol:

I think you have adopted the best policy. Leave those with the job titles to sort it problem out.

He might well just dig himself out of sight.

:)

My advice would be to contact the police (firearms) first. Say you were accosted on private land (details) and say you felt intimidated and under imminent threat of violence but you had your firearms with you and did not and would not respond in like manner. His suggestion that you had lamped his land was absurd.
Ask them to pass on information to the local police so you do not have to go through seizure etc etc. This will give the chap another 'mark' against his name and it will all add up to a strong defence for the shooting community in your area and you in particular. If BASC are able to help then- why not you pay for the help.

Kes, has your PC finally succumbed to a delayed Y2K glitch and crapped it’s calendar? Or are you yearning for the good old days before BASC spent so much money settling employment disputes?

I think I'd rather live in Brigadoon chasing the end of the rainbow rather than anything else.

Back