Harkila alternatives

PSE Composites Limited

NEMESIS

Can anyone suggest a " 2nd best" to the Harkila prohunter jacket apart from a 2nd hand one !
ie. Muisto, ridgeline,Sealand etc etc
Or better still a subjective rating of the most waterproof, windproof & warmest jackets out there on the market at present
Cheers
Mick

Ronin

Distinguished Member
The Arcteyx Leaf range offer a very good alternative to the Harkila brand.

In fact id say Harkila are a very good alternative to Arcteryx ;)

Laksen as a third option.

BP75

Swazi Swazi Swazi

I wear layers, ideally icebreaker base layer and a Swazi on top. I have a Severn top for summer and a Tahr for winter.
Whatever the weather I am out in it and rate Swazi as the best.

Regards

BP

Last edited:

moses

Arcteryx Leaf as with any Arcteryx product is the nuts but, although it's well suited for hunting it's really more geared towards Military applications.

£500 trousers and £800 for a jacket is a little OTT for Deer stalking but, probably worth shelling out for if you're involved in "direct action".

Seeland Stuff is a suitable alternative to Harkila but, there are deals out there on Harkila stuff, try Swillingtons for example.

Swazi stuff is very good but, not for trousers.

ATB
​Moses

Bavarianbrit

I have sat in high seats terrible rainstorms for boar for 4 hours or more in Germany just using the standard military German flecktarn goretex squaddie kit bought new unused for 25 quid and stayed dry = amazing performance, my 2 mates used it on a 3 week horseback hunt in the Yukon with the same result, dry!!!
Martin

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Cost wasnt mentioned in the OP original thread.

Ive loads of Arcteryx gear, lasts for years and is light, warm and waterproof.

Yes, its spendy, but id rather buy once and have decent reliable kit,...

Crocodile colour blends in well for stalking in the UK by the way and theres always multi cam, a viable alternative to "real tree",,,,,:D

Tommo

Swazi Swazi Swazi

If you are a stalker and not a poser, wear layers, ideally icebreaker base layer and a Swazi on top. I have a Severn top for summer and a tahr for winter.
Whatever the weather I am out in it and rate Swazi as the best.

Regards

BP

Tool

Just because I can afford Harkila doesn't mean I can't stalk. In fact it just means I'm more comfortable than you when I'm stalking. No matter what the weather.

Harkila wearers often get mistaken for posers by those that don't wear it. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of stalkers out there with all the gear and-no-idea - or what we call 'weekend warriors'. But if you do stalk all year round, in all weather types and temperatures what else would you buy if you had the money...

​T

moses

Cost wasnt mentioned in the OP original thread.

Ive loads of Arcteryx gear, lasts for years and is light, warm and waterproof.

Yes, its spendy, but id rather buy once and have decent reliable kit,...

Crocodile colour blends in well for stalking in the UK by the way and theres always multi cam, a viable alternative to "real tree",,,,,:D

I've loads of Harkila and Swazi gear that I've had for years, I too would rather buy once and have decent reliable kit and, that's what I've got.

Arcteryx leaf clothing is a little more weekend sniper than recreational deerstalker in my opinion but, personally I don't do camo anyway. Have to say that their backpaks are amazing quality and very well thought out.

Sitka gear does look good and is getting some good reviews so, hopefully it'll make it's way into some Uk stockists soon, heard from a pal who was at the shot show this year that it was pretty impressive.

ATB
Moses

Pedro

I've got a Harkila pro hunter jacket and I don't think you can beat it, it's light (comparably), genuinely water proof and breathable and has at least half a chance of surviving an encounter with a barbed wire fence. What's more, it's suitable for most shooting environments, being robust and smart.

I'd love to have a pair of their trousers too, but can't justify the cost there, seeing as I'm forever catching some part of my undercarriage when climbing fences. I'd love to have a pair of good thorn proof trousers, not necessarily for best and not necessarily waterproof that last a bit. I've got some old Seeland ones that have given sterling service over the last four years or more, mainly used for feeding and vermin control but they are so holey now that retirement beacons. They don't make that type now, in fact I can't recall what their name was. What could I replace them with?

MACKY

Narrona Finnskogen Jacket
Bought both trousers & jacket last year & so fare the best I have used.
I know some forestry lads that use them & they say they are one of the best they have had.
Link bellow to the web sight.
They ant cheep but think they are well worth the money.

[url]www.norrona
.com[/URL]

John

MACKY

I've got a Harkila pro hunter jacket and I don't think you can beat it, it's light (comparably), genuinely water proof and breathable and has at least half a chance of surviving an encounter with a barbed wire fence. What's more, it's suitable for most shooting environments, being robust and smart.

I'd love to have a pair of their trousers too, but can't justify the cost there, seeing as I'm forever catching some part of my undercarriage when climbing fences. I'd love to have a pair of good thorn proof trousers, not necessarily for best and not necessarily waterproof that last a bit. I've got some old Seeland ones that have given sterling service over the last four years or more, mainly used for feeding and vermin control but they are so holey now that retirement beacons. They don't make that type now, in fact I can't recall what their name was. What could I replace them with?

Had the same problem last year my Seeland trousers had seen better days.
This was the second pair that I had & both lasted a good while.
They where called Thornhill with the seetex waterproof lining.
I changed to the Norrona, lighter & just as good.

John

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Im a big believer in layering.

Winter ill have two or three layers

Summer I usually wear T shirt and Coat or gillet

With trousers and boots before I hurt someones eyes with a picture that will burn their retina's

I have two jackets I stalk in, one is a Laksen Sika, (green) the other a jacket by a canadian company called Seals Action Gear

The jacket

https://www.sealsactiongear.com/catalog/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=772

Is just a shell, but it keeps rain and wind off and is incredible value for what it is, mine is 6 years old now with no damage or wear.

I use it a lot.

I tend to wear my Arcteryx lightweight gillet, jacket's or fleece's under the Seals jacket and ive never been too cold or too warm or wet.

The Leaf products are expensive unless you qualify for their discount scheme (I do)

I standby that its the best kit you can get if your after one product, which is how I interpreted the OP's initial posting.

Hardly the outfit of a weekend sniper,,,who is more likely to wear OD green issued combats, DPM jacket and boots....unable to walk more than a few feet from their vehicle to firing point and happy to tell all of tales of daring do, when he was in "the regiment"

You'll also probably find the weekend snipe is a member of the Artist's RC too,,,,,,serving forces, police or £50 and "your in" mate.....

:doh:

Having a bad day,,,this is said with tongue in cheek

Last edited:

Hales Smut

I fully agree with Redmist on the layering principle. That's the reason I consider using a good medium weight fleece or softshell with a good windproof membrane and a flexothane over it when it rains. You can't beat a good fleece/softshell for being very silent and comfortable ( easy movement). A few years ago I compared the Pro hunter vs the Jahti Jakt pro suit. As I am convinced that the Harkila will be a lot better I opted for the Jahti Jakt as it was so light and comfortable. The Pro Hunter looked less comfortable in my eyes. I hate having that over dressed feeling, just as you wear your bigger brothers jacket. For me a light waterproof shell and put layers under it as you need.

Wills

What about for warmer weather, say about 10 degs? Prohunter suit left me as a sweaty mess on the west coast.

UK Outfitters