Harkila Pro hunter active thigh zips waterproof?

The mighty buck

i have recently bought a set of the Harkila pro hunter active trousers and last night after i had sorted the deer in the larder i gave myself a hose down as i was covered in mud and blood, now my deer hunter ram trousers used to get a little damp when i used to do this wearing them but these harkila ones are goretex so i thought i would remain totally dry, but the zip on the right thigh started pouring water down my leg not impressed! are these thigh zips meant to be water proof? they advertise these trousers as 100% water proof?

N.F.W.M

I have the Harkila Juncun which are have similar zips in the same place. They leak like a sieve. In hard rain when wearing a Tahr smock the run off is at mid zip level. The water tracks to the bottom of the zip flaps and flows thru at the base of the zip. Unfortunately I had the trousers shortened before wearing them so my warranty is invalidated. Had I not done so they would have been returned as unfit for purpose.

Regards

Ed

RED-DOT

Account Suspended
Perhaps it's the £240 price tag that makes you think they'll be good?
It's like fishing tackle... made to catch fishermen not fish?

deerstalker.308

My biggest objection to that model of trouser, utterly pointless design, imagine crawling through a peat hag or ditch....... Stupid design. Always trying to over engineer things. Why didn't they stick a taped zip on it!!! I sold mine and got normal pro hunters again. Problem solved.

caorach

I like them as a walk a lot more than I crawl or hose myself down and the ventilation is nice but you are right, they aren't waterproof.

Roedinator

Distinguished Member
I have the Harkila Juncun which are have similar zips in the same place. They leak like a sieve. In hard rain when wearing a Tahr smock the run off is at mid zip level. The water tracks to the bottom of the zip flaps and flows thru at the base of the zip. Unfortunately I had the trousers shortened before wearing them so my warranty is invalidated. Had I not done so they would have been returned as unfit for purpose.

Regards

Ed
shame you never sent them back to seeland/ harkila to get them shortened
you would have then kept the warranty in tact

regards pete

The mighty buck

they are on there way back to ArdMoor ltd then i guess on there way back to harkila from there. i will let you know what they say, but not happy after forking out a lot of hard earned money for some thing i thought would keep me dry, oh well back to the old damp deer hunter ram trousers till i get an answer!

Chasey

Bloody glad the zip on my dry suit is waterproof ;)

Filling up with 5c water when your under for a few hours would be an inconveniance

Mind you with the average price for a quality end dry suit being £1200 -£1500 they make stalking kit look cheep

willowbank

i have recently bought a set of the Harkila pro hunter active trousers and last night after i had sorted the deer in the larder i gave myself a hose down as i was covered in mud and blood, now my deer hunter ram trousers used to get a little damp when i used to do this wearing them but these harkila ones are goretex so i thought i would remain totally dry, but the zip on the right thigh started pouring water down my leg not impressed! are these thigh zips meant to be water proof? they advertise these trousers as 100% water proof?
Hi I have got very very wet in the ordinary Pro Hunters and remained bone dry, as said over engineered, that "improvement" will cost them dearly in sales.

regards WB

The mighty buck

an update from Harkila, this is not a defect with my particular set of trousers, but part of the design but even though the trousers lets water pour in through the zips the full length of your thigh they have the cheek to call them water proof and dont have any thing to say about it! what a bunch of ***ts. although harkila are not willing to help the good people at ArdMoor LTD have done me good thanks guys.

Rugged & Tough

The Pro Hunter X Trouser's are an addition to the Pro Hunter range for very active hunting. The thigh vent zips whilst covered, where never meant to be waterproof. The cloth is Cordura with Goretex Membrane lining. The trousers are quite heavy and if you are very active, then overheating is a problem, hence why the thigh zips where put in.
So it is really a compromise between the two. Zip unless Storm Zips are never 100% waterproof. In heavy rain the jacket would play a part in adding a layer of protection for the zips, but direct hosing down, yes this would result in water getting in.

There is almost nothing in the country clothing world that is 100% waterproof. Most are waterproof to a certain level. Check what the level is before buying.
The Majority of Countrywear will have a 5,000mm or 10,000mm membrane. Fishermans storm Jackets are 50,000mm plus.

Andrew
Rugged & Tough

RED-DOT

Account Suspended
In other words overpriced non waterproof heavy restrictive rubbish?
Fred Flintstone hunted every day and never wore Goretex?

Rugged & Tough

In other words....designed for Active Hunting, Tough Cordura facecloth, with a Goretex membrane. When crawliing on wet ground, will not Leak etc.

100% waterproof to X YZ Level. Not 100% waterproof no matter what the weather, tempest hurriance etc. Zips will leak, hence why it is up to us retailers to do our job. I never remember ever ever Simon from Harkila saying to us when we are buying for the season, this si 100% waterproof no matter what environment the wearer is in. They and we say, 100% waterproof in a light drizzle, heavy shower, prolonged rain etc.

caorach

In other words overpriced non waterproof heavy restrictive rubbish?
Fred Flintstone hunted every day and never wore Goretex?
I wear them and walk a lot, something between 500 - 1000 miles per year, and have never had a leak. The ventilation is very useful to me, especially when walking hard on the moor and I find it worth having.

I don't buy them just because of the name or the price, I like the best thing for the job and wear army surplus smocks/goretex as jackets for example as there is simply nothing to beat them. To date I've yet to find better trousers than the Harkila with most of the previous trousers lasting me only a few weeks, if that.

You do, of course, have to continue to use your brain when wearing them as apart from the two zips there is also a big hole at the top and two smaller ones at the end of each leg and water can also easily get in through these. However, a little thought on my part has so far allowed me to avoid water getting in anywhere.