Harris or Zeadio (copy)?

Sheprador1973

Has anyone used or owned both please? Just interested in whether the Harris is considerably better built/sturdier than the copy. As in £20 vs £100 different. Will mainly be using at the range on a 22LR but perhaps occasionally on a .308 and/or .223 in the future. Many thanks.

Woodsmoke

This is a real bugbear of mine. I keep seeing guys spending what I consider to be stupid money on a Harris bipod (or similar) when a cheap 'pod will work just as well and last just as long. You'll go your own way, but I have 3 rifles that all wear a cheap copy bipod on them. None of them have ever let me down, worn out yet, or broken, fallen-apart, or failed to work just as they should. Others will have their own views of course, but I suspect in many cases they're trying to justify themselves ;)

And don't even get me started on that bloody Javelin nonsense . . . . .

Edit: Here's a link to what I use. My bad, the price has gone up

Zeadio 6 Adjustable Spring Bipod for Hunting Air Rifle Gun UK 799872881465 | eBay

bhodge

I had a Harris 6-9 swivel bipod for a couple of years. I bought it cheap at a car boot sale. I had no complaints and it worked very well, then last summer there was a guy at the range using a Zeadio 6-9 but not the swivel version. I asked if he'd mind if I had a look at it...it was sound, no obvious reason not to have one. So I bought one, and sold the Harris. Have i missed the Harris? No, but I have missed the swivel feature, but for the £14 the Zeadio cost me I can't complain.

Sheprador1973

Reckon thats all I need to know guys. Thank you.

Already have the Zeadio 6-9 swivel and its been fine at the 100 yard range on a club gun. One particularly light gun I used was a bit unstable but I put that down to the gun not the tripod. Thanks...:D

Colin G

IMHO Harris all the way I’ve had the cheaper ones ie deben that have come loose and dropped off , the fixed legs are a pain if shooting off car bonnet or the roof as you carnt get the tilt having to balance the rifle on one leg to take a shot .
some of them are Poor fitting but Harris fits all my rifles and I have three Harris 9-13 swivel and wouldn’t use any other

Haven't tried Zeadio so can't comment specifically but used cheapo ones for years. Just don't last as well or as easy to use as Harris in my opinion!

VSS

Some copies are better than other copies. A good one is every bit as good as a genuine Harris, but a whole lot cheaper. I have both. Bought the Harris secondhand. I wouldn't fork out for a new one, that's for sure.
I also dismantled 2 very cheap copies and re-assembled one good one using all the best bits from each. That's made the best bipod I have.

Toller

I've had a cheap Harris clone (can't recall the make). The quality was lacking. Legs not locking back up and sometimes sticky to deploy. I'm sure a rubber foot fell off too.

Deben bipod was slightly better but one leg wasn't quite true and always touched the moderator when folded up. It annoyed me so it got sold.

The quality of the Harris does seem to be better. Whether it's worth the extra ££ is up to you.

I now own atlas, versapod, and javelin bipods... and i use none of them really! Pack or rucksack i find best. I actually don't mind the javelin. Mainly because it's so easy to get it to **** off the rifle! :D

Woodsmoke

A word of advice? DON'T buy these. I'm not saying I did, nor am I saying that the level of peer-mockery was through the roof, nor am I saying they were utterly useless, nor am I saying that deploying them sounded like a skeleton having a w ank in a biscuit tin . . . . . . I'm just saying don't buy them :oops:

VSS

I now have a "Monkey pod", based on the same idea as the famous monkey sticks. I used two 15" lengths of b&q cane (the thinner version), joined with a twisted piece of old inner tube! Fully height adjustable, light to carry, and quick to deploy. Much better than having a permanently attached bipod.

Edinburgh Rifles

the cheap copies work just fine

what lets them down is the pressed threaded section for tightening them onto the sling stud
this is easily sorted with the addition of a small nut on the rifle side

the rest of the fittings are fairly robust to all of the activities with the exception of massive forward load

I am still using a knock off Atlas

what I am really looking forward to is testing a new Magpul

Arrives tomorrow

Minto

Got a Harris that is over thirty years old, still working as it should. Will any of you be able to say that about a copy? I would have my doubts. Buy once cry once!

Woodsmoke

Got a Harris that is over thirty years old, still working as it should. Will any of you be able to say that about a copy?

I've held both in my hands and I reckon I'd confidently say 'Yes', given that they're practically identical. Manufacturing processes and materials have moved forward a great deal in the last 30 years, and I have every faith my cheap copy will continue to serve me well

ashray

harris ,i have had global rifle copies,chinese and other far eastern made ones.i dont target shoot and the bipods get used in all condition and grounds i have two 9 to 13 harris that are still in use 20+ years the global rifle bipods failed in a year the chinese were better but only lasted 2 1/2 years and other copies have failed.so on a working rifle it has to be harris.

Minto

I've held both in my hands and I reckon I'd confidently say 'Yes', given that they're practically identical. Manufacturing processes and materials have moved forward a great deal in the last 30 years, and I have every faith my cheap copy will continue to serve me well

Pal who is a pro stalker bought a cheapo, less than ten years and it was goosed. The pivot holes wore through, his Harris isn’t quite as old as mine has no such wear, either has mine.

Sheprador1973

harris ,i have had global rifle copies,chinese and other far eastern made ones.i dont target shoot and the bipods get used in all condition and grounds i have two 9 to 13 harris that are still in use 20+ years the global rifle bipods failed in a year the chinese were better but only lasted 2 1/2 years and other copies have failed.so on a working rifle it has to be harris.

For an 'occasional use' rifle though you could buy a lot of replacement clones over time for the price of a Harris if you got unlucky surely? Would love to see/handle both side by side to compare them. The obvious weak link in my copy is the swivel mount tightening mechanism. It looks flimsy as F on my copy but has not failed or stripped threads yet. If its a close copy surely you'd have the same potential issues with a genuine Harris no? Just a thought.

Incidentally, I've never been a member of a forum where the phrase 'Buy once, cry once' has been used so frequently. Got me thinking about other forums I use (World Sea Fishing for example) where some guys will spend £500 on a Zziplex rod while others use a £50 Shakespeare. Both will and can catch big fish. General consensus is its not the rod or reel that matters...more the bait, time, location etc etc. Can someone explain why that is different with stalking gear please?

Incidentally, I'm not being 'funny' or argumentative at all, just interested. And this post is in no way 'aimed' at you Banus at all. It was just your comments about the genuine Harris on a working rifle that caught my eye.

:D

rhhudson

I have got a Harris 6-9 that I used on my centerfire. I decided to buy a zeido copy off eBay for my rimfire. And it was ok. But it was just so cheap and nasty compared to the proper thing. The qd stud fixings was crap.

I brought an atlas psr for my centerfire ( one hell of a bipod) and I put my Harris on my rimfire and sold the cheap zeido one.

It all depends on what your looking for. If it's occasional use and 1moa+ then yes your cheap copy will be ok. But anything else spend the money and get something decent.

Maidment78

Horses for courses really, the cheap atlas works really well and it’s about £250 cheaper, I got an origional as the little differences that make sweet f all out too 3 or 400 yards start making a difference as you go further.

but as stated I tried a cheap £60 bt10 copy and they are very good for what they are.

Toller

I've done the Atlas clone thing too. It broke.

One of the legs (extendy part) sometimes worked. Sometimes it completely came off. Then it detached in a shower of tiny BBs... and that was that.