Has anybody ever come across this before

Freeforester

Perhaps the questions should be asked of the person originally posting: apropos the area where the animal was taken, is there much by way of stock fencing that could or indeed does hang deer up by the front legs on the property? Is there silage making/grass mowing undertaken in the immediate and near area?

springbok787

Perhaps the questions should be asked of the person originally posting: apropos the area where the animal was taken, is there much by way of stock fencing that could or indeed does hang deer up by the front legs on the property? Is there silage making/grass mowing undertaken in the immediate and near area?
Yes to both of those questions. I haven’t seen any evidence of deer being caught by fencing, but I am sure it’s possible. The farm in question is about 470 acres of mixed grazing and arable.

Like several other people have said I am coming to be a conclusion that it was silaging last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freeforester

Indeed, the position of the amputation does not seem to be at the lower joints, per the 'possibly caught by the front legs on a fence' hypothesis, as far as I can see.

NoIDeer

Interesting, if it was done as a fawn/kid it would mean its mother stuck by it until it was weaned???

Cyres

On 1st April I shot a buck which was missing the bottom part of its hind leg. No silage made in that part of the world, I think a high tensile wire fence amputation.

D

willyroe

Very interesting , had plenty of fence leg injuries and hangers!.... but good to learn about this. Thanks for posting.

My vote is agri-injury as a youngster!

Pete6.5

I shot a roe buck many years ago with a missing front leg but the injury looked relatively fresh and then a week later I found the leg jammed in the fork of a hazel branch so there are so many ways it can happen but if I was to guess I would say mower. One more note do your know if the farmer uses a mower or mower conditioner because there's no coming out alive if it has a conditioner.

sikadog

Mowing Machine while trying to back away, or jumped up out of the grass as the machine closed in, i have seen ducks with there legs cut off by a mower.

springbok787

I have pretty much concluded (as far as possible) that this injury was the result of an incident with farm machinery while it was young and hiding in long grass. The farm next door keeps a couple of big areas for grass and these are right next to a popular deer wood.

The near perfect uniformity of the injury’s to both legs is what gave me pause, but on reflection and following comments on here it does make sense now. Being caught in a fence is also a possibility but because the joint was still present on both legs I believe mechanical cutting was involved rather than wire.

I don’t feel honoured to have shot this deer, but like many others in the past I take some satisfaction from doing the right thing rather than passing on by looking for more “sporting” opportunities. Still went into the food chain and has been consumed by a number of appreciative people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk