Hawke Glass

jcmita

Hi All,

What is the best model of Hawke scope for centrefire on the market? New/used? I am on a tight budget, and I need a scope that will not break the bank.

Woodsmoke

I use an Endurance 8 x 56 on my .270. Superb glass for less than £500. I believe the H2 8 x 56 has been replaced by a range of H5 variable mag' scopes now though. You should be able to pick up a decent one for less than £200 though.

How's this? Identical to mine, Illuminated LR Dot reticule, and looks to be in great condition. I've used mine from first light to last knockings, and it's been superb

deerstalker.308

But for less than £500 you’d get a Schmidt 8x56….. no brainer
I use an Endurance 8 x 56 on my .270. Superb glass for less than £500. I believe the H2 8 x 56 has been replaced by a range of H5 variable mag' scopes now though. You should be able to pick up a decent one for less than £200 though.

How's this? Identical to mine, Illuminated LR Dot reticule, and looks to be in great condition. I've used mine from first light to last knockings, and it's been superb

Fair Hill

I'd go with a Sidewinder either 3-12x50 or 4-16 x50 both of which will give you the option of using a Pard 007 if you wanted to go down that route later on.

Woodsmoke

But for less than £500 you’d get a Schmidt 8x56….. no brainer
Well, yes. But the OP specifically mentioned Hawke, so I responded in kind :thumb: With the Hawke you're buying new, with the confidence that brings, and the associated lifetime warranty Hawke offer as standard. My other centrefires (.223 and .308) wear Schmidt and Bender 6 x 42 scopes with a No4 reticule, but the Hawke really does hold its own well in comparison. Comparing apples with oranges to a degree I know, but for clarity and light transmission under normal stalking conditions and ranges I find the Hawke scopes very good indeed. Build quality and finish is second-to-none also, and I find mine holds its zero perfectly. In fact, since I installed it on the rifle some 5 years ago it hasn't shifted, even with almost weekly use

Rob Dhu

I have a Kahles 6x42 serviced by Kahles which I will be selling. PM me if you want the price

bogtrotter

Well, yes. But the OP specifically mentioned Hawke, so I responded in kind :thumb: With the Hawke you're buying new, with the confidence that brings, and the associated lifetime warranty Hawke offer as standard. My other centrefires (.223 and .308) wear Schmidt and Bender 6 x 42 scopes with a No4 reticule, but the Hawke really does hold its own well in comparison. Comparing apples with oranges to a degree I know, but for clarity and light transmission under normal stalking conditions and ranges I find the Hawke scopes very good indeed. Build quality and finish is second-to-none also, and I find mine holds its zero perfectly. In fact, since I installed it on the rifle some 5 years ago it hasn't shifted, even with almost weekly use
Hawke scopes have come on leaps and bounds in recent years, a few years ago I wouldn't have given tuppence for one now they are real value for money and comparible with many mid range priced scopes.

Colonel Rimfire

Believe me I must have spent well over 10K on scopes in my time shooting and came to the conclusion that there are way to much bells and whistle's on most scopes

Personally I'd go with the Vantage 4x32 I know it sounds odd, but this is by far (in my opinion) the best scope Hawke have ever made. I had one on my Ruger 77 compact in .223 and it was superb.

The optical clarity of a fixed power will trounce their zoom models, I also have one on my rimfire and it can quite easily pick out a bullet hole on target at 50 meters,

I have had the nearly all of the vantage series and I have to say the 4x32 AO is the best for the simple reason it can see better than the higher priced zoom models. the 3x9 and 4-12 cannot see a bullet hole on paper at this range!

. I'm a total fanboy of this scope and even sold my Leupold 3x9 rimfire as for LSR the Hawke is a better fit.

Honestly this scope is a dark horse. Granted its no Schmidt or Zeiss but for what it costs you wont be disappointed.

I have treated mine like crap and it never lost zero and best of all only cost £53 from Uttings

in the UK we have more specific requirements that are not always catered for by Leupold or the bigger manufacturers which is why after all the4se years I have finally painted myself into this corner, and its not to do with price , so much more application.