Heads up! Velo South disruption.

Leadwasp

Do Sussex, Hants, Surrey residents know about Velo South and it's impact? On 23rd September CSM Active are holding a cycle event for the wants of 15,000 or so fee paying riders (vs. the needs of 400,000 inhabitants). The 100 mile circular route basically travels from Goodwood, Via Petworth, Ifold, Fernhurst, Milland , Rogate, South Harting, Funtington, Chichester and back. Starting at around 7am all roads in and out of this area (with a very few managed access exceptions) will be closed by traffic order during this period until just before 6pm. In other words you can't penetrate the cycle route by car. All cars on the route must be off the highway from 00:01 on day including parking. No vehicles or horses on the route either (presume this includes livestock/milking). Pedestrian and cycle access allowed.

Very poorly publicised in this area - only found out about it from an anti-poster on part of the route. Love cycling myself.....but much nicer on your own or with a few pals. Pelotons suck.

The website https://www.velosouth.com/

The embryonic petition https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-the-velo-south-cycle-event-23rd-september-in-west-sussex

Last edited:

Fdt

Thanks Leadwasp

I live inside the peloton ring of hell its creating. Not sure I’ll be able to get out but we’ve seen this sort of thing before.

Leadwasp

I'm just off the Milland stretch and need to get to my increasingly frail parents on a daily basis via that route. We only found out about it from a lonely Stop Velo South poster as we drove back through Compton yesterday. I understand that the A272 will be open on a light controlled basis at the route crossing but it's going to be gridlock because the event is so poorly advertised.

From what I could glean from a sustained google last night CSM Active are already failing to meet even basic expectations of organisation - still ethereal promises at the moment. So the idea of managed urgent access is a joke I think. It's going to be a clusterf*ck on the day.

Last edited:

Fdt

Sounds like it’s even worse for you than me. What worries me is the potential for more if unopposed.

I’d assume that they’d open the road as they cleared the last bikes away.

Leadwasp

The word 'inaugural' was used in some literature somewhere - I understand there is a 5 year contract!!!

Fdt

I’m still shocked I’ve heard nothing about it until now. I’ve been looking at their map and trying to work out how to get through it other than on the 272. I’ll just have to take the boss lady away for the weekend and we can shoot something.

I think I’ll go for I stomp around Petworth Park and ogle the fallow.

rodp

They ran one around here last year. Poorly advertised, even worse organisation. Caused absolute chaos apparently, people stuck in their homes or unable to reach home, sick relatives with no care etc. Running it again sometime it seems although there were an astronomical amount of complaints.
Be interesting to trace who's involved in the runnuingof these events, it's someone with some clout as council didn't want it but were told they had to have it. (Apparently)

Fdt

I’m curious to know what the consequences of breaking their blockade. I’ve had a look at the Traffic Management Act 2004 but it’s application doesn’t seem entirely appropriate in this instance.

There’s a number of incidents when traffic officers and police have seen things land in court, this isn’t the same thing.

Fdt

My immediate assumption is that it would probably result in a civil action. If they have a something akin to a court order to close the road any breach could result in criminal action. I didn’t train in English Law so I could be miles out.

basil

Distinguished Member
My immediate assumption is that it would probably result in a civil action. If they have a something akin to a court order to close the road any breach could result in criminal action. I didn’t train in English Law so I could be miles out.
Breaking their blockade could result in a prison sentence for you.

Fdt

It`ll be a more healthy option!
Joking aside, driving through road closures etc is that serious.

As i was legally trained elsewhere I like to find chapter and verse in this stuff so here’s the links I found.

It’s s16C(1) of the Road Traffic Regulations (Special Events) 1994
Road Traffic Regulation (Special Events) Act 1994

The offences for this were an amendment to Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 placing it at Level 3 on the standard scale.
Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988

Those scales are found here I believe although as a my training was in Scots Law this link could be incorrect.
Criminal Justice Act 1982

Places it as a fine of £1000.

rodp

When considering the making of an order under this section, an authority shall have regard to the safety and convenience of alternative routes suitable for the traffic which will be affected by the order.

That's odd, because apparently (according to the masses of complaints) there were no alternative routes to a large proportion of the routes. I wasn't there, and don't live there, so only going on what I picked up from local papers, the local news stations and the locals themselves.

basil

Distinguished Member
That's odd, because apparently (according to the masses of complaints) there were no alternative routes to a large proportion of the routes. I wasn't there, and don't live there, so only going on what I picked up from local papers, the local news stations and the locals themselves.
It will get interesting if an ambulance or fire engine needs access!

basil

Distinguished Member
As i was legally trained elsewhere I like to find chapter and verse in this stuff so here’s the links I found.

It’s s16C(1) of the Road Traffic Regulations (Special Events) 1994
Road Traffic Regulation (Special Events) Act 1994

The offences for this were an amendment to Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 placing it at Level 3 on the standard scale.
Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988

Those scales are found here I believe although as a my training was in Scots Law this link could be incorrect.
Criminal Justice Act 1982

Places it as a fine of £1000.
Possibly my prison comment might have been a little on the high side but although I didn`t read all of your link I didn`t see if it covered colliding with something .... or someone. :tiphat:

Leadwasp

On a serious note, given there is a minor peak in deer road casualties in Sept Oct, and especially with regard to fallow might this be a minor safety issue?
I have one particular long road on the route across the Downs in mind - when I drive it I usually have to stop for one or two donkeys at most times of the day.

On the basis that where there's one deer crossing there are usually others just behind, a quick stab of the brakes and it's a Velo pile up perhaps?