Hearing protection

rhhudson

Hi.

I'm looking for some new in-ear plugs ideally with one of these sonic valves to enable conversation.

It will be used for both rifle (moderated) and shotgun.
I have tried over ear ones but all they seen to do is bang agains the stock when I mount the gun.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

I'm using Surefire Sonic Defender Plus earplugs, and they're pretty good for the money (about 20 quid). They stay in well too, which I like, as I don't need a cord or anything. Just pop them in when I set off stalking, and forget about them. Important to have clean ears though, or they get clogged up.

As is normal for the internet I'm going to give you an answer to a question you didn't ask :) Well, sort of. If you are not fixed on the "valves" but are looking for in ear foam plugs then it is well worth getting one of the trial packs from these people. I've found that the critical thing with any ear plugs, or similar, is getting the right fit and so the trial pack allows you to try out a vast range of foam plugs to see which work best for you. Foam has the advantage of giving a higher attenuation than molded plugs as the foam expands after insertion to fill the voids, solid "plugs" can't do that and there needs to be some small gap around them to allow them to go in and out.

Ear Plug Assortment Packs - Ear Plugs

In some research it was found that contact between the rifle stock and over ear protectors could actually result in very high sound pressure levels as, of course, plastic and metal makes a much better conductor of sound than air. Given this, especially with a moderated rifle that may well be beyond the level at which damage would take place with a reasonable number of shots, it is possible for over ear protection to do more harm than good.

Alantoo who posts on this forum acquired some Peltor/3M LEP-100 in ear electronic plugs, these are not custom fitted but use plastic or foam tips in the ear, and his reviews encouraged me to do likewise and I'm very impressed with them. I was, basically, happy enough with solid foam plugs for rifle shooting as with a moderated rifle I only used plugs on the range but wanted to hear what was going on around me when shooting with the shotgun. Again, the key with the electronic plugs is getting the right fit with the ear tips but there are many very good solutions out there and I've even been able to get several that suit me, I'm fairly critical of fit or have a weird shaped ear canal. The down side of the electronic solutions like this is they are expensive and this may rule them out for you but it is worth giving it some consideration as protecting your hearing may be worth putting above buying some shooting gadget that you don't really need.

If your ear defenders are hitting the stock, then the stock doesn't fit you correctly and your head is in the wrong position. You should correct that first which will improve your accuracy.

I have got various foam plugs and they are great at blocking the noise out.... but obviously can't hear a word anyone is saying.

I don't think I've got an issue with gun fit. Or accuracy. I can quite easily shoot 1/2 moa out to 500 yards. It's not likely the relationship between my cheek and ear position.

Last edited:
If your ear defenders are hitting the stock, then the stock doesn't fit you correctly and your head is in the wrong position. You should correct that first which will improve your accuracy.
Not always true. I have ferking great big lugs and that means that the Peltor Sporttacs sit low on my head. Plus about half of my ear lobe hangs out the bottom of the ear cups. I can use the peltors with a shotgun but with the rifle and its raised comb they don't work.

Not always true. I have ferking great big lugs and that means that the Peltor Sporttacs sit low on my head. Plus about half of my ear lobe hangs out the bottom of the ear cups. I can use the peltors with a shotgun but with the rifle and its raised comb they don't work.
Agreed. I have high cheek-bones & have only found one pair that I can mount a shotgun & not touch the stock.

Rhhudson,

I also can’t wear over ear defenders. I have a pair of CENS ProFlex digital molded in ear and would recommend them for both rifle & shotgun use. They are not cheap, but how cheap is your hearing!

ATB 243 Stalker.

Rhhudson,

I also can’t wear over ear defenders. I have a pair of CENS ProFlex digital molded in ear and would recommend them for both rifle & shotgun use. They are not cheap, but how cheap is your hearing!

ATB 243 Stalker.

A while ago I had impressions taken for the cens proflex 2. I was then rang up a week later to be told I couldn't have them because my ears were too small for the electronic bit.
Hence my continued search. That would have been the answer to my problem but it was not to be.

A while ago I had impressions taken for the cens proflex 2. I was then rang up a week later to be told I couldn't have them because my ears were too small for the electronic bit.
Hence my continued search. That would have been the answer to my problem but it was not to be.

Well that may have worked out for the best for you in fact.

As Coarach says above...The Peltor/3M LEP 100 EUs (or the 200s with the bluetooth loop) may well fit your ears as they use standard ear tips either foam or flanged and many different styles and sizes are available.

The other advantages the Peltor LEPs have over any of the other electronic in-ear plugs is that they have Li-ion rechargeable batteries instead of the time limited zinc air, They also have much higher SNR ratings than the CENS ones. Are available instantly on line, and cost less!

Do a search on 'ere for the various in ear discussions. These are some...

In ear moulded electronic ear defence

The importance of using hearing protection.

Electronic in ear defenders

This was the best price last time I looked...

3M PELTOR LEP-100-EU Level Dependent Earplug Kit - Earshot Communications

this page has all three models b8ut look to be on back order...

3M Peltor Tactical Earplug TEP-200 - Earshot Communications

Amazon?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KZOL2XO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alan

Last edited:
Well that may have worked out for the best for you in fact.

As Coarach says above...The Peltor/3M LEP 100 EUs (or the 200s with the bluetooth loop) may well fit your ears as they use standard ear tips either foam or flanged and many different styles and sizes are available.

The other advantages the Peltor LEPs have over any of the other electronic in-ear plugs is that they have Li-ion rechargeable batteries instead of the time limited zinc air, They also have much higher SNR ratings than the CENS ones. Are available instantly on line, and cost less!

Do a search on 'ere for the various in ear discussions. These are some...

In ear moulded electronic ear defence

The importance of using hearing protection.

Electronic in ear defenders

This was the best price last time I looked...

3M PELTOR LEP-100-EU Level Dependent Earplug Kit - Earshot Communications

this page has all three models b8ut look to be on back order...

3M Peltor Tactical Earplug TEP-200 - Earshot Communications

Amazon?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KZOL2XO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alan

Thanks for that. They look ideal for what I want.

They are currently on backorder so I'll keep my eyes out for when there in stock.

Where do you get the different tips from? I can't seem to see any reference to them anywhere.

Thanks

I use moulded Noisebreakers, no electronics but a baffle/filter that allows you to hear conversations, far cheaper than electronic versions £80 ish as I recall

Silicone Ear Plugs | Custom Moulded NoiseBreaker Ear Plugs UK

Thanks for that. They look ideal for what I want.

They are currently on backorder so I'll keep my eyes out for when there in stock.

Where do you get the different tips from? I can't seem to see any reference to them anywhere.

Thanks

The LEPs came with four different tip types, 3 flanged, and the foam skull screws. The skull screws give the best SNR of 38dB but I found them a bit big.

The ones I found most comfortable and effective rated at SNR of 34dB, the foam 3M CCC-GRM-25.

Coarach mentions links to different tip sources, both above and in the earlier threads, CENS make very nice looking ones for their non-moulded plugs.

Earshot Communications ordered in the 3M CCC-GRM-25 tips especially for me...took a week or so.

Alan

Last edited:
Back