Helion XP50 2 pro

Drewnotts

A quick post about this bit of kit. Its cracking. Very nicely designed and fantastic image quality. Pulsar definitely got something right with this one. See GSP pic at about 20 feet taken on total darkness. (Nope - I'm not sponsored 😆)
img_058.jpgimg_060.jpg

Last edited:
Yep and just waiting for them to do a version with the miniscule Axion LRF module stuck on the side.
Am i right in saying that this is still a 17micron unit? If so, is it as good as a 12 micron unit and how have they got better performance out of it?

wonder how these compare to the Leica Calonox Vision?
No comparison. Well there both thermals that’s where it stops. The Leica is a rebadge iray. Ok in itself but the same spec iray is about £1200 cheaper. Both still with the inherent issue of internal batteries that can’t be removed easily

Am i right in saying that this is still a 17micron unit? If so, is it as good as a 12 micron unit and how have they got better performance out of it?
Yes as far as I know but I think the 25mk makes a difference and anyway my original Helion XP50 is brilliant, I just don`t want the bulk of the Accolade to get LRF. My Axion LRF is good but the image in the Helion is better.

No comparison. Well there both thermals that’s where it stops. The Leica is a rebadge iray. Ok in itself but the same spec iray is about £1200 cheaper. Both still with the inherent issue of internal batteries that can’t be removed easily
The Zeiss and Leica only use the iray sensor bud, the core and software are different and the overall build far superior and image too… obviously at more cost.

Got it Ian. Had a go with one for a few days. Didn’t like so sent back.
There a bit overpriced the Leica to be fair for what they are... Still like I say the Helion 2 XP50, Helion 2 XP50 Pro and Accolade Pro are the best on the market in my opinion, just better built better image offer more control and features ..

I agree had the helion xq38f and just got the accolade xp50 pro lrf. They are mustard and simply the best consumer grade thermal out there!!! In my opinion

12 micron has an advantage over 17 micron in that you can get the same magnification with a smaller lens
17 micron is a more mature technology and improvements in the production methods have resulted in sensors which are more sensitive to small changes in temperature than is currently possible with 12 micron
This reduction in NETD down to around 25mK means that in poor thermal conditions - specifically high humidity and mist/fog, the 25mK sensor will provide a clearer image with much more background detail than a typical 50mK sensor found on many 12 micron thermals.
Having said that, Pulsar have been noticeably slow to move to 12 micron 640 sensors, with only the Krypton front add-on using one.

Cheers

Bruce

Its a strange one, 12 micron is not the be all and end all... Just take for instance the Helion 2 XP50 or XP50 Pro there both better than an E6 Pro from iray with a 12 micron sensor OR the Thermion 2 XP50 vs Rico RH50, the Rico has slighty more mag around 0.8ish but the Thermion 2 XP50 overall image is dazzling in comparison .. sensor , core and SOFTWARE play a big part too..

A little update for you if you are watching this post with interest. I've been night fishing, and woke up to a very misty river. I've taken a picture of the mist, and then via thermal for you.

Note buildings visible with thermal, but only just by eye (note the XP50 is 2.5x mag).

20210704_042852.jpgimg_066.jpghere.

I’ve just upgraded from a helion xq38 to the accolade pro , the accolades are amazing to look through and I’m well happy with that but I’m not impressed with the feel of them,the focus wheel is awkward to use ,I keep catching the eye focus at the same time, the buttons in the middle are awkward to reach and use ,I do have large hands so maybe that’s my problem ,I also think they feel cheap and tacky, good job I’m happy with the image quality otherwise they’d be going back 😁

Back