Hell of a time to be broke.

Muir

I am about shot out when it comes to my discretionary funds shooting budget. Wouldn't you know it?? An American supplier has Sierra 155 grain 30 cal Palma bullets for $250/1000, and 168 and 175 grain MK's for $270/1000. Both are "blems" with water bath discoloration, but that is purely cosmetic...

Rats!~Muir

finnbear270

:D, Andy, I have ceased to take my F.A.C. with me on my travels in the truck, too easy to route passing a lot of Gun shops / R.F.D.'s etc, The fastest way to go skint.:rolleyes:

Muir

168 Nosler custom match are a similar price in Luxemburg and can be easily posted to the UK.
no blemishes ha ha..
edi
http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=4444238

How do these shoot for you? I bought 1000 of the Nosler Competition Match 53 grain .224's for my .223 and they were a disappointment. Sierra's (and Speers) out shot them in a number of guns. Good price, though. These Sierras are usually $310 to $360/1000.~Muir

phaedra

I use the Nosler CC 168g in my 308 Steyr with excellent results, 1/2MOA if I do my part, just a bit better than 168g A-Max or Lapua Scenars.

Edi, have you used that company for bullets?, I usually get stuff shiped to my friend in Florida and bring them back when we visit, I'm sure carriage from the EU would be cheaper than a 2 week trip to Florida :D

Muir

:D, Andy, I have ceased to take my F.A.C. with me on my travels in the truck, too easy to route passing a lot of Gun shops / R.F.D.'s etc, The fastest way to go skint.:rolleyes:

Normally i'm OK but next week I have presidents of the California and New Jersey chapters of the Soap Creek Prairiedog Association coming to shoot prairiedogs for a week. I have already purchased better than 2K 20 caliber bullets and a couple thou 22 cal bullets.... along with cases of Rem 7.5 BR primers and pounds of powder.... all in anticipation of their arrival. It's best not to be caught empty handed with such auspicious company arriving. (and I still need to go to the city to chase down some H322 today, too.:doh:) I am tapped out until next month. :( ~Muir

Addendum: Some time ago I got a note from the State saying that they were holding an undisclosed amount of unclaimed funds (a refund from an insurance company) for me. I filed for it and Lo! The check came a few minutes ago and I ordered the 155 grain Palmas.

It was Providence.
I feel better now.

Last edited:

ejg

How do these shoot for you? I bought 1000 of the Nosler Competition Match 53 grain .224's for my .223 and they were a disappointment. Sierra's (and Speers) out shot them in a number of guns. Good price, though. These Sierras are usually $310 to $360/1000.~Muir
I guess you mean the 52gr Nosler, I was very happy with then 52gr in a 22-250 Howa and dropped crow to deer with them (grouped under 1/4" at times), best bullet ever in that rifle. My friend did not get such good results with them in a 223 and said they were 0.01mm smaller in diameter than Sierra which shot better. I had good results with 69gr N CC in 223's and 175's in a few 308's. Never tried any other weights. Tempted by the 155gr 30 cal though.
edi

ejg

I use the Nosler CC 168g in my 308 Steyr with excellent results, 1/2MOA if I do my part, just a bit better than 168g A-Max or Lapua Scenars.

Edi, have you used that company for bullets?, I usually get stuff shiped to my friend in Florida and bring them back when we visit, I'm sure carriage from the EU would be cheaper than a 2 week trip to Florida :D

Only time I got something posted from them was when I won a prize that they sponsored. They are known to be reliable and I would not have a doubt as many Germans buy from them. Never heard anything bad. That company is also quite good for hard to get scopes etc. Check their website.
edi

Muir

I guess you mean the 52gr Nosler, I was very happy with then 52gr in a 22-250 Howa and dropped crow to deer with them (grouped under 1/4" at times), best bullet ever in that rifle. My friend did not get such good results with them in a 223 and said they were 0.01mm smaller in diameter than Sierra which shot better. I had good results with 69gr N CC in 223's and 175's in a few 308's. Never tried any other weights. Tempted by the 155gr 30 cal though.
edi

Are the Nosler a 52? I believe you. I have so many 52 and 53 grain bullets that I don't keep track anymore. They generally get treated the same at the loading bench with regards to weight. My custom barreled Howa .223 did fair with the Noslers: about 1/2 to 5/8 inch. (certainly good enough for prairiedogs) but Speer and Sierra bullets did better on most occasions and loads. My .222 shot the bulk Speer "TNT" 50 grain better than the Noslers. The only "match" bullet I found was universally mediocre in my 22 bores is the Hornady 52 grain match. It is so frustrating to shoot. 1 or 2 in the same spot, three out to an inch. That from a stock Howa, a Winchester .222, my custom Howa, and my single shot handgun. If I got a bad LOT it was a big lot: I bought 10x100 of them 5 years ago and still have 600 of them left. Waste of powder shooting them. THe best so far has been the Sierra Match Kings. Astounding accuracy. Last time out with my custom Howa I put a .286" group in the center of the target and then removed all four staples holding it up with four consecutive shots. Yes, a nod from the shooting gods, but the rifle and load will do it if I get lucky enough.~Muir

ejg

Are the Nosler a 52? I believe you. I have so many 52 and 53 grain bullets that I don't keep track anymore. They generally get treated the same at the loading bench with regards to weight. My custom barreled Howa .223 did fair with the Noslers: about 1/2 to 5/8 inch. (certainly good enough for prairiedogs) but Speer and Sierra bullets did better on most occasions and loads. My .222 shot the bulk Speer "TNT" 50 grain better than the Noslers. The only "match" bullet I found was universally mediocre in my 22 bores is the Hornady 52 grain match. It is so frustrating to shoot. 1 or 2 in the same spot, three out to an inch. That from a stock Howa, a Winchester .222, my custom Howa, and my single shot handgun. If I got a bad LOT it was a big lot: I bought 10x100 of them 5 years ago and still have 600 of them left. Waste of powder shooting them. THe best so far has been the Sierra Match Kings. Astounding accuracy. Last time out with my custom Howa I put a .286" group in the center of the target and then removed all four staples holding it up with four consecutive shots. Yes, a nod from the shooting gods, but the rifle and load will do it if I get lucky enough.~Muir

I guess I shot about 300 fox with the 52 & 69gr nos cm and thought they were the most consistent and reliable for fox sized animal. Guess around 80 - 90% exit. Much more reliable than 52 A-Max or 55Nos BT.
The Hollow points on my 175 Nos CM are very inconsistent and rough, look very cheap.
Bullets are funny, I've often had plane jane soft points that are ultra reliable in accuracy and then some top match bullets that have flyers.
edi

Muir

I guess I shot about 300 fox with the 52 & 69gr nos cm and thought they were the most consistent and reliable for fox sized animal. Guess around 80 - 90% exit. Much more reliable than 52 A-Max or 55Nos BT.
The Hollow points on my 175 Nos CM are very inconsistent and rough, look very cheap.
Bullets are funny, I've often had plane jane soft points that are ultra reliable in accuracy and then some top match bullets that have flyers.
edi

Truth! I always say you can't buy accuracy or performance in shooting. Expensive bullets aren't always the best. My best 6.5 grouping is from PPU 120 grain boat tail hollow points. They are consistently as accurate as I can hold. I've fired hundreds of them without an errant shot. Sixteen dollars US per hundred. Sierra Match Kings don't shoot as well in my rifle @ $44/100 box. A couple of years back I filled deer tags in two States with a 7x57 using PPU 140 grain boat tail soft points. Ugly looking bullet. Cheap. But they shot 3/4" and performance on deer from 70 to 180 yards was exemplary. Heart/lung hit deer piled up or traveled 10 yards and were bled out when I got to them. $17/100 US.

I killed all my deer last season with 140 grain Sierra GK's from my 6.5. All went down pretty rapidly but when I did recover the bullet I found only jacket with the core having exited the body. They cost me $36/100.
You just never know how a bullet will work until you try them.~Muir

phaedra

Just had a reply back from Hunting Sport in Luxembourg about the Nosler CCs thay have listed on eGun.de http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=4444238

They say their carrier does not deliver to the UK :(

Never mind, I have about 1600 which should keep me going until stocks return to normal in the US and we can go back over to Florida to pick up another couple of thousand :D

Muir

Addendum: Those 155 grain Palma's showed up yesterday afternoon. They are definitely Sierra's and the only problem I can see is that they are a little darker in color than the others. I weighed a few to +/- a couple of tenths; good enough for a 'cheap' bullet. I also loaded a few of the 'blem' 53 grain Match kings that were so cheap. Excellent! ~Muir

iancxx

They say their carrier does not deliver to the UK :(
Sounds about right for our European cousins,we want your money then fk off,
Ian

phaedra

Morning Ian :)

They will deliver to Amsterdam for €10 so I could get it shipped to my eldest and go over on the ferry for a visit and shopping trip :)

However, there's a form to fill in and submit but from what I can see it only covers loaded ammunition and firearms.

He's back in the UK for the next few days but when they go back I'll get his partner to see if there are any shooters where he works who may know about it.

bigoak

I have had good success with 224, 69gn N CC and 6.5 120 Gn NCC.
The 69ers went about 3/4 an inch outa my skinny ruger. Which is about par for the course for that rifle. I never had a chance to try them at 200m

Territory Hunting