Hello :-) introducing me and my jagdterriers

Jess

Hi everyone, my name is Jess and I'm from Cambridgeshire. It's my partner, not me, that does deer stalking. I've stumbled upon this place as our Jagdterrier bitch has just had 7 pups and it seems like there may be some people about who might be interested in them? :)

Jess

Sorry maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the pups straight away!
have a look at Simons blog.... Lots of info about him, hunting, working as a forester, and jagdterriers :)
Oh bugger now I can't post links! Do a google search for wympole and wratsworth, that will bring up his blog

Charlieh

Hi Jess,

great blog, its really interesting to see what happens on Wimpole. I grew up wandering round the hedgerows and woods of our family farm in Arrington (now sold off) and the parkland and woods of Wimpole. Its great to see active traditional woodland management still taking place and being passed onto others as well. I must come for a walk around the grounds again at some point, as its nearly 14years since I was last there. The photos of the terriers look great in the blog, sadly my border is a bit territorial when it comes to other small dogs! anyway welcome to the forum

Charlie

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Welcome to the site. However I should point out that to use the advertising on this site you need 30 posts to use the classifieds, or pay £10 per month for trade membership.
Thank you

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Welcome to the site, do try and do things in the right order, there are no shortcuts, honestly :)

John

Jess

Hello
Its the other half :) I haven't technically used them underground but they do go underground. The male dog 'Cory' was imported from Slovakia from Vladimir Hudec and he bred his for wild boar hunting, a smooth coat with a heavy build bred to tackle em' that was nine years ago. I was told they can be a bit of a problem in the home but apart from letting him know who is the alpha male he's been fine (except once when he decided that one of my sheep needed to be put down, never did that again!) I brought him to train and help me follow up wounded deer which he has done especially those muntjac. Most of the time he's out with us in the woods and spends half the time hunting anything but rabbits and voles occupy him most, suppose there are a lot of them. Has had to catch a few foxes that terrorised my chickens though and works along side ferrets. The female 'Missie' is two and a half years old and I imported her from Serbia from the Nemad (Shonski kennels) a much slighter built dog that does go to ground as she is about 15 inches high with a rougher coat. Bloody good hunter and a bit quicker, I sort of brought her to help with the rabbiting and ratting, I am gob smacked at how both of them can sniff rabbits through a foot or more of soil. I have wondered why they are not more popular in the UK as I find them exceedingly good dogs that don't yap, absolutely hate yapping dogs. The other thing that's brilliant is Corys voice, when hunting he sort of has two basic barks one low one high, anything with sharp teeth or is a more serious proposition he will have a deep low bark. Never known that in English dogs. Black lab males and him don't get on though, had a few scraps which I had to separate although the Missie gives him what for, chews his ear off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! funny that. Wouldn't be without a Jagdterrier now.
Simon

dom8328

Welcome Jess, I'm over nr saffron Walden, love the look of the terrier but Mrs won't budge on one cos of my asbo border x Jack called Dave, not the best of temperaments on him, I call it character when he dragged a yellow lab halfway under the garden gate cos it dared to sniff under it!!

Jess

Hello Charlie

It's Simon, glad you like the blog, takes quite a bit of work to do but worth it when people enjoy it. Just been out counting deer with a thermal imager (£30,000 bit of kit which is rented at a staggering cost) well impressive though saw 55 muntjac and 7 fallow mostly where I know they are, so the culling we have been doing has kept the numbers down but I think we will be able to half that number before the spring comes. However I had thought we had slaughtered the rabbits, ouch where do they all come from and the voles in the woods!!!!! could see thousands and they were sitting on ash stools eating the bark from the new regrowth

Hi Jess,

great blog, its really interesting to see what happens on Wimpole. I grew up wandering round the hedgerows and woods of our family farm in Arrington (now sold off) and the parkland and woods of Wimpole. Its great to see active traditional woodland management still taking place and being passed onto others as well. I must come for a walk around the grounds again at some point, as its nearly 14years since I was last there. The photos of the terriers look great in the blog, sadly my border is a bit territorial when it comes to other small dogs! anyway welcome to the forum

Charlie

Jess

Have the same problem with Cory, hates male labs, they all think they can beat him up, a little bit mistaken they are!

Jess

Darn new to the quotes!
Have the same problem with Cory, hates male labs, they all think they can beat him up, a little bit mistaken they are!
Simon
Welcome Jess, I'm over nr saffron Walden, love the look of the terrier but Mrs won't budge on one cos of my asbo border x Jack called Dave, not the best of temperaments on him, I call it character when he dragged a yellow lab halfway under the garden gate cos it dared to sniff under it!!

Charlieh

Hello Charlie

It's Simon, glad you like the blog, takes quite a bit of work to do but worth it when people enjoy it. Just been out counting deer with a thermal imager (£30,000 bit of kit which is rented at a staggering cost) well impressive though saw 55 muntjac and 7 fallow mostly where I know they are, so the culling we have been doing has kept the numbers down but I think we will be able to half that number before the spring comes. However I had thought we had slaughtered the rabbits, ouch where do they all come from and the voles in the woods!!!!! could see thousands and they were sitting on ash stools eating the bark from the new regrowth
Hi Simon, thank you for your reply. I have followed the work on the estate via videos on youtube and the internet, I must admit to enjoying seeing estate forestry done still, and adding value as well. I think its an area that is going to continue to see a resurgence in coming years (I hope so having just bought a mobile sawmill!). I always see muntjac on dusk when passing the estate boundary. Interesting you could see the voles with the Thermal, may have to try that one soon. I always enjoyed rabbiting on our meadows the otherside of the 1198 long time since I have had ferrets though! Interesting that the fallow never really seemed to cross over the road that often seeming to prefer Croydon and Hatley. Do you ever do estate walks to look at your work?

Regards

Charlie

Jess

Sort of do walks but not about the work we do, quite happy to do so if there's a group of people interested, always nice to show our work off and get some feed back. Do you saw milling for people then? may be interested in hiring you

Simon

Hi Simon, thank you for your reply. I have followed the work on the estate via videos on youtube and the internet, I must admit to enjoying seeing estate forestry done still, and adding value as well. I think its an area that is going to continue to see a resurgence in coming years (I hope so having just bought a mobile sawmill!). I always see muntjac on dusk when passing the estate boundary. Interesting you could see the voles with the Thermal, may have to try that one soon. I always enjoyed rabbiting on our meadows the otherside of the 1198 long time since I have had ferrets though! Interesting that the fallow never really seemed to cross over the road that often seeming to prefer Croydon and Hatley. Do you ever do estate walks to look at your work?

Regards

Charlie

Charlieh

hopefully will be out for hire, its a big upgrade from my Alaskan chainsaw mill, I have got a few jobs lined up once Im happy I know what Im doing with it :) as no one wants wonky boards! the mill is currently parked the other side of Royston till I get all my service bits and have a long weekend at my folks to get it sorted. I will let you know how it pans out. I would think there would be a few local forestry types interested in seeing the estate woodlands.