Help me choose a K95

Heym SR20

Just revisiting this thread, and lots of concern that 7x65r is a heavy kicker. Not sure I will agree.

Was out on the hinds earlier in the week with my combination. Two prone shots on open ground at getting on for 200m - did not notice recoil at all. Using RWS HiT load - 140gn at c2800 fps.

Then later in open mature woods walking quietly a hind with two followers came trotting by. Driven boar instinct kicked in and bowled one of the followers with a shot at 50. Didn’t notice recoil then either.

Harry mac

Should have said. I’m not too fussed on the weight. Even with a T12, it would still be reasonably light. The weight up front might help with keeping sight picture
All that weight up front would turn it into a plank.
The appeal of the k95 is the light weight and quick handling, if you want to maintain that go for a lightweight mod and put up with the slight increase in length.
I've got CMM4 on all mine and you hardly (if at all) notice the mod is even there.

Leupsak

I shot this Buck fawn this morning, 173 grain bullet from a 7x57R, so soft and quiet to shoot, I don't even miss the mod compared to my work rifle in .308 IMG_4213.jpeg

Leupsak

Shot this one a few weeks ago but posting it as I thought the K95 looked particularly good in the image 😍
Before you decide on caliber I suggest you see what ammunition or reloading components are out there, The rimmed case is certainly where I would look as the cases extract under gravity when you open the action unlike a rimless case such as .308 which needs to be manually extracted which can be a pain in cold weather wearing gloves and is certainly slower than tipping up the gun with a rimmed case.

IMG_3577.jpeg

Last edited:

Scipius

Beautiful gun, Leupsak, and some good advice 👍

I guess if the TS is going with a rimmed cartridge, mainly some of the eruopean traditional ones comes to mind intially. Cartridges such as, the 6.5 x57 R, 7x57 R and 7x65 R.

Last edited:

Leupsak

Thank you.
I certainly do not regret going for the 7x57R but the 6.5x57R is only 2mm difference on one of the best deer calibers, the 6.5x55 and ballistics are similar but with the bonus of self ejecting cases(with help from gravity) which is why the rimmed cartridges are so popular in a Kipplauf.
Personal choice but for me a kipplauf should be in a rimmed caliber...............but check availability of ammo and reloading components.

As beautiful and refined as they are I bought a BA13 which is definitely more agricultural. However it’s a tack driver with reloads. I can’t see myself upgrading it tbf.
If I had the spare cash I’d rather spend it on hunting trip of a lifetime. Just my 2ps worth

Leupsak

As beautiful and refined as they are I bought a BA13 which is definitely more agricultural. However it’s a tack driver with reloads. I can’t see myself upgrading it tbf.
If I had the spare cash I’d rather spend it on hunting trip of a lifetime. Just my 2ps worth
I went with the K95 rather than the BA13, Merkel etc due to local availability and desire for a rimmed case but agree with your comments, I just knew if I bought either I would still hanker for the K95!!!!!! As I am now considering a stutzen itch for my next treat :lol:

Tazz

Forgot to include I have a Laurence precision, there are better options out there.
I bought my first LP about 6-7 years ago and at the time they were expensive but better than anything else out there. However the world has moved on and there are better option, I have subsequently bought F&D which I rate and Stalon again very good

Dr.T.

Hi there - I have a K95 in 7x65r (wood stock) and highly recommended it. I have no experience with the carbon fibre version.

So far I have used Nosler Tipstrike factory ammo - it's accurate, but the recoil is about the limit of what I consider comfortable/tolerable when this rifle is unmoderated (that's with 160 gr bullets at around 2710 fps). I'll definitely be reloading the brass with something lighter (in the 120-140gr range).

I went for the Blaser titanium moderator, which works well - recoil is reduced a bit (as expected) and it doesn't overly unbalance the rifle.

Hope this helps!

Scipius

that stutzen k95 really is a work of beauty 😍 But yes, it is probably more practical to get it in the 6.5x57 r over the swede.👍

Jax

why not keep the sights and have it threaded for a mod for the one estate you need to use one on, link here Blaser
It’s tempting. I preferred the idea of a reflex mod, but it’s not essential with the likes of an SL5i. I’ve currently got two of them on two 308’s. For the size and weight, they are pretty impressive