Help! Wilson reloading stuff

rem284

After some thought I am leaning towards wilson reloading dies for a straight 284. However I havnt used these before so I have a few questions

1 If I buy the wilson neck sizer and seating die will I still need a full length die of some sort.

2 would I be able to use the same wilson neck sizer and seater to load for a 6.5-284

3 what arbour press should I buy

4 Where would be the most likey place to get a good deal

answers and any other information much appreciated

Mat

1. Yes, I would
2. Not sure, you probably can as long as you have the right bushing
3. I have a Sinclair one which I'm pleased with, but I've seen a Harrell combo press which is portable and does hand dies as well as 7/8"x14: looks good and Fox firearms have them for reasonable money
4. Sinclair International, even with postage & tax

jay 22

After some thought I am leaning towards wilson reloading dies for a straight 284. However I havnt used these before so I have a few questions

1 If I buy the wilson neck sizer and seating die will I still need a full length die of some sort. [ you will still need a normal press and full length die to do your brass. because Wilson don't make a full length die.

2 would I be able to use the same wilson neck sizer and seater to load for a 6.5-284 [ no there different so you would need to get a set of each.

3 what arbour press should I buy ​[ Sinclair's do one here http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=37764/Product/Sinclair-Arbor-Press also look on the k&m site.

4 Where would be the most likey place to get a good deal ​[ reloading solutions, midway uk, Trent firearms, also look at the above link see how much it would work out to ship it from the usa.

there you go mate. great stuff the Wilson items are. if I where to buy reloading kit again. I would go Wilson for the stuff as i have seen my mates Wilson stuff for his 6 br and it is superb. will it load stuff anymore accurate then redding,rcbs etc... I don't know ?

i guess it depends on what you want to spend.

Border

I am going down the 17 Rem path and am going to use the Wilson dies and arbor press and Redding body die solution. For low round counts(under 50) it's almost therapeutic using the hand dies and it saves me the trouble of C clamping the Co Ax to the kitchen table. I can also recommend Sinclair International.

rem284

thanks Border. My normal press dosnt need clamping to bench/table. The only thing making me hesitate about the wilson dies is I'll need to buy an arbour press. I looked at Sinclair Int. they seem to have a lot of gear, my shopping list has got bigger.

Mat

That is the trouble with Sinclair, they have stuff you never knew you needed. I've been sent a discount code valid until 5th, not sure if it's only for their Christmas catalogue, but worth a try: DLJ (save $20 if you spend more than $200)

Whitebeard

1 If I buy the wilson neck sizer and seating die will I still need a full length die of some sort.

2 would I be able to use the same wilson neck sizer and seater to load for a 6.5-284

3 what arbour press should I buy

4 Where would be the most likey place to get a good deal

Rem,
Sinclair do a complete kit with dies, press, bushing and and appropriate bases, which works out at roughly the price of a set of Redding Comp dies bought here and thats including duty tax and shipping.

Ian.

Whitebeard

Rem, in my reckoning a kit with micrometre top would be about £230 delivered all duties and taxes paid.

Ian.

rem284

Whitebeard,
That sounds ok. Do you think the micro top is the way to go. Ill also need a case trimmer so think I'll go for wilson too

Thanks

Whitebeard

Rem,
The micrometer top is a luxury you dont need but it really speeds up fiddling round with seating depths when doing your load developement.
The beauty of an arbour press/hand dies set up is its portability you can reload on ant flat surface, i take mine down the range and even into the field where i have loaded out the back of my wagon.

Ian.

Mat

I'd agree: micrometer top is a luxury: what you can do is to take the seater top off and measure it with dial calipers for your seating depth, you can work out the change in length required if you need to alter the seating depth.

Similarly if you're going with the Wilson trimmer, Sinclair do a micrometer add-on, but you can just measure between cutter and depth screw with dial calipers.

jay 22

dont forget your need two case holders for each calibre your going to use for the Wilson trimmer.

one for fired brass and one for unfired brass

jay 22

hi rem as the Wilson case holders are calibre specific you need one for each calibre you reload for.

ie if you had 223, 22/250, and 243 and you want to trim the cases you need a case holder for each of them.
but also they do a fired case holder and a unfired case holder in each calibre. when i got my new unfired 17 fireball brass I trimmed all the necks to the right length as i found the remmy brass all over the place.

but now i have loaded up the brass and fired it a couple of times the necks will need trimming again soon. but as there fired they will not fit in the Wilson 17 fireball unfired case holder. [ there to big]
so i had to folk out i think around £7 pound for a wilson fired case holder :doh:

all adds up mate.... more so if you reload and trim the cases on a number of calibres. all depends on if you trim your new brass to length i guess.
some people do some dont.

Last edited:

rem284

Jay 22 mmm! I'll only have the one case size although it will be for 2 calibres 6.5 and 7mm. Will I have to state if the case holder is for unfired or fired. Was going place order last night a Sinc.int but all the bits and pieces were way over £300, will have to wait for more funds.

jay 22

just buy the trimmer itself from the usa rem. you can pick the case holders up over here cheap enough. i got mine from reloading solutions.