Hen Harrier goes missing

Cyres

I see on the BBC web site this am that another satelite tagged Hen Harrier has gone missing in Scotland. RSPB state its missing in an area where other endagered birds of prey have vanished, yet it appears the estate has not been contacted. Typical accusations that it has been illegally killed and the transmitter destroyed.

I thought that in very many bird species natural mortality of juvenilles is very high and its known that apex birds of prey are predators of other lesser BoP so could be a natural cause of death, Aka the buzzard taking the osprey off a nest which was filmed by the RSPB.

Why are the RSPB and BBC allowed to make such unfounded accusations?

D

palmer_mike

Out of interest (as I really don't know the answer) if the bird had died of natural causes, wouldn't the transmitter still be working?

Taff

Yes but it also depends on the range of the transmitter, gone missing could mean it has got out of range. Perhaps Scotland has suffered severe continental drift and moved towards the Bermuda Triangle .

rover

Hi, As usual the rspb and bbc jump in to blame grouse shooting. What about Muir of Ord and Conon bridge buzzards/ red kites found poisoned. It must be game keepers that done it they clamed. They then discovered that it was accidental poisoning at a feed station. No apology to the people falsely accused. The reward money spent by the rspb no press release stating it was not a wild life crime, no report by the bbc. One sided reporting as usual.
Jim

Glyn 1

Hi, As usual the rspb and bbc jump in to blame grouse shooting. What about Muir of Ord and Conon bridge buzzards/ red kites found poisoned. It must be game keepers that done it they clamed. They then discovered that it was accidental poisoning at a feed station. No apology to the people falsely accused. The reward money spent by the rspb no press release stating it was not a wild life crime, no report by the bbc. One sided reporting as usual.
Jim
I didn't realise anything had been proved either way in this case, do you have a link please?

Highlandsjohn

Jim
Maybe that is why I never heard the outcome and that is close to my area.

A small hijack. Four red kites sitting on an old dying tree, I watched them for hours from one of my high seats.
The combine passes, it has the rear auger to chop the straw and dozens of unfortunate stray poults.
(last years late harvest) The kites swoop down like seagulls behind the plough, fresh meat does not go to waste and how quickly they learn,fresh organic meat....

redlab

I didn't realise anything had been proved either way in this case, do you have a link please?
They know what killed the kites they are just not releasing it as it they do the farmer that has been accused is suddenly going to be in possession of a bottle of it one dark night..... And that came from the farmer, I deal with him through my work