Henry Krank .17 17gn bullets

Ttocs

Is anyone using the Henry Krank .17 17gn bullets in their 17 Rem or Fireball. They look ok and their cheap enough. I’ve bought a 17 Rem for the bullet frangibility, how doe the Henry Krank offerings compare to the more traditional 20gn v-max and Armageddon bullets in terms of frangibility.
At 17gn they seem light for foxing, has anyone used them on foxes?
Cheers
Ttocs

Zetter

One of the guys on Pigeonwatch mentioned in a thread a while back that he had a look at them in his .17 Remington but found they didnt stand up that well through it, he was pushing them fast though.
A fair few people have used them sucessfully in .17 hornet/ AI hornet for cheap bunny rounds cant recall anyone foxing with them though.

Mr. Gain

Didn't know these existed. I'd also be interested to know how anyone has got on with them. Presumably they're the same as in .17 HMR loads.

Andy-shooter

I use them in my .17 Hornet reloads. They shoot very well about 1/2” @100 yards in still conditions (through a clean barrel) although obviously they don’t penetrate as well as the 25g Vmax.

Mine are whizzing along fairly at about 3700fps and Im pretty sure they don’t exit body shot bunnies in a lot of cases but I’ve never opened one up to look at the internal damage (which I imagine is pretty extensive)

Cooter

I use them in a 17 hornet and they drop foxes very well.

They aren't the same as the hmr, they're a boat tail.

At 200 yds they are very close in performance to the 20grn varmageddons that I use.

I check weighed a 100 when I first got them and there was almost no variation across the whole lot.

markyw

Have used the in my Fireball for a while now. As mentioned, about .5 inch @ 100yds is about right on a still day when I do my bit. Cheap as chips and not bad aat all.

Regards

Mark

8x57

Distinguished Member
I think that these bullets may be the same as those sold by Norman Clark and that they were originally imported by Eley for loading in the .17mach 2 round.

If they are the same bullet then I can tell you that my friend who loads them in his .17 fireball is happy with the results that he is getting both with accuracy and the end result on rabbits and crows etc. He hasn't used them on foxes as far as I know preferring to use his .243win.

Effnjeff

I use them in a 17 hornet and they drop foxes very well.

They aren't the same as the hmr, they're a boat tail.

At 200 yds they are very close in performance to the 20grn varmageddons that I use.

I check weighed a 100 when I first got them and there was almost no variation across the whole lot.

The HMR polymer tipped bullets are also boat tailed.
They appear to be identical and they go well in my Hornet.

kenbro

Is anyone using the Henry Krank .17 17gn bullets in their 17 Rem or Fireball. They look ok and their cheap enough. I’ve bought a 17 Rem for the bullet frangibility, how doe the Henry Krank offerings compare to the more traditional 20gn v-max and Armageddon bullets in terms of frangibility.
At 17gn they seem light for foxing, has anyone used them on foxes?
Cheers
Ttocs

At the price they are, get some and try ‘em. Nothing to lose.
I wouldn’t use them on foxes...had too many splashes (Hitting ribs etc.)using 17 Rem. and 25 grain bullets.
Ken.

Ttocs

Thanks for the replies. I ordered some Henry Krank 17gn 172 bullets. Having inspected them vey carefully, they look exactly the same as the 17gn bullets fitted to Remington 17HMR Rounds. I assume they are in fact the same bullet; which is good news, I’ve used Remington HMR rounds in my Sako Quad for some time with no good results.

a question for those of you that have used this bullet, to give me some ide of a starting point, how mouth did the powder charge vary from the 20gn bullets you’ve used (I currently have 20gn Varmageddon).

Thanks again
Ttocs

Cooter

These are not the same as the hmr bullets, they are a boat tail, the hmr are normally flat base.

You can use the 20grn loads as a starting point, but start at the lowest charge.
I run a sub load using trail boss and a fast load uaing n110.
H2O case capacity is important as i found there was 0.6 grn difference between my Hornady and RWS cases, which is a big number for the little 17 case.

Effnjeff

These are not the same as the hmr bullets, they are a boat tail, the hmr are normally flat base.

You can use the 20grn loads as a starting point, but start at the lowest charge.
I run a sub load using trail boss and a fast load uaing n110.
H2O case capacity is important as i found there was 0.6 grn difference between my Hornady and RWS cases, which is a big number for the little 17 case.

Here's a photo I took of a dud HMR that shows the bullet is a boat tail.

20151106_123652.jpg

This particular HMR ammo is Remington brand with the gold coloured poly tip and it is identical to the Kranks bullets in every way.

If you're still doubtful then have a look at the Vamintal website for close up images of pulled HMR bullets.

Varmint Al's Field Testing The 17 HMR

Effnjeff

Thanks for the replies. I ordered some Henry Krank 17gn 172 bullets. Having inspected them vey carefully, they look exactly the same as the 17gn bullets fitted to Remington 17HMR Rounds. I assume they are in fact the same bullet; which is good news, I’ve used Remington HMR rounds in my Sako Quad for some time with no good results.

a question for those of you that have used this bullet, to give me some ide of a starting point, how mouth did the powder charge vary from the 20gn bullets you’ve used (I currently have 20gn Varmageddon).

Thanks again
Ttocs

I used 10 grains of Vit N110 as a max load. Any higher than this and the group's opened up dramatically. IIRC I was getting around 3800fps.
Coupled with necked down PRVI brass, each round costs around 16p, which costs less than HMR, is over 1000fps faster and far more accurate. The bullets are very fangible though and make for messy if humane kills on vermin.

Ttocs

Thanks for the load info, I presume that load is for your Hornet, did you try them in your 17 Rem which is what I’ll be loading for?
Ttocs

Effnjeff

Thanks for the load info, I presume that load is for your Hornet, did you try them in your 17 Rem which is what I’ll be loading for?
Ttocs

Yes that load is for Hornady Hornet.
I did try the bullet in the 17 Rem but with little success as the bore was a bit rough. I’ll dig out what I found and PM it over tomorrow.