Here is some High Seat Plans from Shooting Times in 2004

colly1612

I found these plans in an old issue of Shooting Times (June 2004).

If any body wants a pdf version of these plans please PM me with your e-mail address and I will sent you a copy.

I'm going to build one this week and see how it performs.

High Seat Plans 001.jpgHigh Seat Plans 002.jpgHigh Seat Plans 003.jpg

Last edited:

trouble

their good , put the steps on the tree side and they slide on and off pickups or trailers better

PKL

the top steps are too low, shooter has to struggle for foothold. the shooting board is too high (IMHO). the runner supporting the seat and the ladder should be thicker and stronger, at least in my book. there are other small improvements one could make, but those spring to mind as essentials.

jimbo123p

Steps are too wide. As the timber dries it would be prone to cracling. I have a design same result but everything is done to get it as strong as possible without over timbering. Also it is fine with that nice tree, If lihe us they go on a nice sitka spruce it would roll round the trunk like nobody's business. I usually try to leave a branch that I tierap to the shooting frame to minimise roll. As can be seen I build the ladder seperately. The two elements are easily carried by one person over long distances. One set is over half a mile from the road with only me there. Two lifts, first ladder and roe sack with poersaw and tools. second seat and frame. The ladder was sued independently to clear lower branches (very handy) First ime out I dropped a nice 6 pointer at 217m That is how steady and stiff it was. You need 3 x 4,8m 3x2, 2 lengths, 2x2, one length 6x1 sarkiing and 10 x 110mm m10 coach bolts plus some screw. Shooting rail is easily adjusted with a battery drill. Much stiffer than the 2004 design and user friendly. The independent ladder is great and it is not as noisy as steel and less attractive to the travelling public. ATB Jim
View attachment 10603View attachment 10604View attachment 10602

Last edited:

trouble

The steps are too wide , come on chaps , you use a tape , measure yourself and build them to suit yourself :rolleyes:

Brian243

I made one of these from the plans when Shooting Times published them. It's stood the test of time very well having stood outside since '04. I made it from tannalised 'D' section fencing rail and it was very easy to make and hasn't cracked or come loose despite being moved on a number of occassions. It's a wide single which is very comfortable but not wide enough for two so if making again I would reduce the width dimensions slightly to make it lighter as I only need a single. The position of the footrest step and shooting board can be easily modified during construction to produce a 'custom' fit.