Here's an interesting one....

DVS1

Testing the new load of STMK 60gr under 23.9gr RS40...nice .29moa groups at 100m...no chrono data as yet I'm afraid.

100m group (pulled shot to left)
Screenshot_20200724-123202_X-Mark.jpg

So popped a stell gong out at 284m yesterday evening and first shot cold bore nicely centered...following 3 shots went off on hols! :-|

Screenshot_20200730-000800_X-Mark.jpg

Any ideas reloading gurus?

Last edited:

DVS1

I felt I pulled that one on the 100m firing mate so called it...now you say that though... :-|

Scapegoat

Horizontal variance looks more like head position error or even a different loading on the bipod. Which direction was the wind blowing? If it was gusting to 6mph right to left on day one, then that would account for at least part of the discrepancy. Was the scope at exactly the same mag each time? Are you absolutely certain of your cheek-weld?

DVS1

Horizontal variance looks more like head position error or even a different loading on the bipod. Which direction was the wind blowing? If it was gusting to 6mph right to left on day one, then that would account for at least part of the discrepancy. Was the scope at exactly the same mag each time? Are you absolutely certain of your cheek-weld?
Wind on the day of zeroing was minimal and I made sure I fired when there a lull in the wind.

Head position could be a factor, will check that when firing some more groups at range. Yep same magnification, probably did lift head off cheek piece so must double check fundamentals.

Scapegoat

Wind on the day of zeroing was minimal and I made sure I fired when there a lull in the wind.

Head position could be a factor, will check that when firing some more groups at range. Yep same magnification, probably did lift head off cheek piece so must double check fundamentals.
It's easy enough to cock up your head position. I occasionally share a rifle with my lad and his zero is about half an MOA up and half an MOA to the right of mine. All other things being equal, I've put it down to the fact we simply look through a different part of the scope because our heads and necks are a different shape. I can move my impact half an inch to an inch up or down at 100 by altering my cheek riser.

Smellydog

??? Not quite with you there mate?? This is the only reloaded ammunition thats done it so far
If it's a first it's not the heat. Poor stress relief can cause the barrel to curl as it heats up but if this is a first and not happened before it's not the issue.

DVS1

If it's a first it's not the heat. Poor stress relief can cause the barrel to curl as it heats up but if this is a first and not happened before it's not the issue.
Ah with you now lol I sincerely hope the barrel isn't an issue at Paddy Dane installed and its a Bartlein 1:8 so I kinda rule that out

Daddy The Skunk

Wind, mirage ,cheek weld , trigger control ect . From the main group there is nothing wrong with the load. I rather doubt barrel issues because the main group is more rounded and close set. If the mating surfaces are square and the thread's too heat should not cause dispersion imo. Never in my life have I heard of heat treat effecting groups. I might look at bound up points in the magazine, or anything screwed and bolted to the stock. My Ruger No1V had loose screws in the scope bases that drove me to near insanity until I checked them. Locktite applied and all is well now. Shooter error is always possible too. Your notes are good consider adding wind value and all bases are covered. Best wishes for good shooting.

25 Sharps

Testing the new load of STMK 60gr under 23.9gr RS40...nice .29moa groups at 100m...no chrono data as yet I'm afraid.

100m group (pulled shot to left)
View attachment 169660

So popped a stell gong out at 284m yesterday evening and first shot cold bore nicely centered...following 3 shots went off on hols! :-|

View attachment 169661

Any ideas reloading gurus?
that’s not a .29 mod group as one shot is outside of the group

DVS1

You always have to include all shots, unless you shoot 2/3 other groups to prove you actually did screw that one up!
To be honest a shooter doesn't have to prove sod all really, if they know when they released the shot they snatched the trigger or any other issue that made them know the shot wasn't released in as good a way as possible then they can call it...the only person they're cheating is themselves if they released the shot well but because it didn't land with the main group so use the excuse of 'pulled it' but just for jollies here's a previous group of same load Screenshot_20200715-153942_X-Mark.jpg
:thumb:

DVS1

May I ask (IT illiterate) what graphics you are using to demonstrate your shots - it is rather clever.
Sure mate, its an app for smart phones called x Mark, there are others...range buddy I believe...but they both pretty much the same program. Takes a bit of learning, very short learning curve though.

Screenshot_20200731-092407_X-Mark.jpg