Hiding behind a van?

Utectok

So I hiked up the hill to send a few rounds onto paper and check my zero after a few rounds not exactly where I expected in the field. Got to my makeshift zero range and noticed about 1k away some joiners reroofing a barn. I set up to be shooting directly away from them.. but decided to go and have a chat with them first. So a very rough uphill walk later I said to one of the joiners I was zeroing my rifle in that field over there aiming at a target on that hill. All directly away from you etc etc. I said it will be about 1/2 an hour and no more than 12 shots. Ok he said. Then I headed back and got on with it (actually 11shots and the rifle was bang on ). Meantime the builders moved their van stopped work and all hid behind the van!!! Anything for a break I suppose! Wonder why I bothered hiking up there to chat!!

Utectok

The hill I walked up to chat to them was 30% head high bracken 30% bog with stumble grass lumps and the rest midges and clegs

Last edited:

tozzybum

You tried ,but as an ex roofer I can assure you the flask,newspaper and sandwiches would have been unpacked pdq .
And thanks for the excuse would have been my reply 👍👍🤣

User00026

a. You was wasted your time and energy
b. You expected joiners to understand what you were saying
c. Even if ‘b’ is incorrect, they used the excuse to take time off work to be ‘safe’, and their downtime will likely be reported as down to your activities, which may be reported.
d. Don’t waste your time trying to be a good and civil shooter, no one will get it, and it will likely waste your time, energy, and come back to bite you in the ass

John Gryphon

Some have no idea of wtf is real.
I was making my way across a BALD ridgeline to a spot in the bush when above me appeared a bloke (next neighbour on) with a teenage lad walking along the top of the ridgeline he was looking for a few of his escaped ewes.
I was under the ridgeline so as to be unseen by any possible deer but only 40 yards from them when he saw me below and loudly yelled out "DONT SHOOT"
I shook my head in dismay.
Wtf did he think I had in mind ffs.

Utectok

a. You was wasted your time and energy
b. You expected joiners to understand what you were saying
c. Even if ‘b’ is incorrect, they used the excuse to take time off work to be ‘safe’, and their downtime will likely be reported as down to your activities, which may be reported.
d. Don’t waste your time trying to be a good and civil shooter, no one will get it, and it will likely waste your time, energy, and come back to bite you in the ass
Lesson learned 🙃

tozzybum

Some have no idea of wtf is real.
I was making my way across a BALD ridgeline to a spot in the bush when above me appeared a bloke (next neighbour on) with a teenage lad walking along the top of the ridgeline he was looking for a few of his escaped ewes.
I was under the ridgeline so as to be unseen by any possible deer but only 40 yards from them when he saw me below and loudly yelled out "DONT SHOOT"
I shook my head in dismay.
Wtf did he think I had in mind ffs.
Maybe your neighbours a nervous vegan friend of Chlis packham John 🤔🤣🤣

Utectok

Maybe your neighbours a nervous vegan friend of Chlis packham John 🤔🤣🤣
It’s an estate owned by a billionaire Belgium a nice guy has promised me the stalking when he replants some woodland. The building company is owned by a guy who shoots I think at least the family is a massive name in the shooting world round here. Whether the roofers/builders on site know anything about shooting I don’t know?

Finch

I wouldn't have said anything, I'd have just cracked on. If they fall off their ladder at the sound of a distant crack a km away they probably weren't safe to be up it in the first place.

I've come to the conclusion, that as a shooter, though I obey the law and practice scrupulously safe gun drill at all times, I won't be showing above and beyond basic common courtesy towards the general public until they start doing the same with me. There is no evidence that that is likely to happen any time soon.