High mag scopes

Tazz

Hi magnification generally goes with longer range shooting and with longer range shooting ballistic turrets help with preset ranges. All that said it depends on how far you want to shoot and is it purely for stalking or at the other end of the scale do you want to ring steel gongs ay 800-1000 yards. For most stalking in the U.K. 10-12 power many would see as maximum required, however if you want to shoot foxes out to 400 yds then you will want to go higher. I have a Z8 2.3-18 on a 270 I rarely ever wind it up to 18

Reactions: MAH

Pickles

Hi magnification generally goes with longer range shooting and with longer range shooting ballistic turrets help with preset ranges. All that said it depends on how far you want to shoot and is it purely for stalking or at the other end of the scale do you want to ring steel gongs ay 800-1000 yards. For most stalking in the U.K. 10-12 power many would see as maximum required, however if you want to shoot foxes out to 400 yds then you will want to go higher. I have a Z8 2.3-18 on a 270 I rarely ever wind it up to 18
Thanks. Will be on a stalking rifle, but recently been doing some targets so thought it might be nice to have the option of higher mag. But not over keen on the idea of ballistic turrets.

hunta

I have a Nightforce 3.5 - 15x scope with a ladder reticle on my 270. It's zeroed at 150m so is a point and shoot out to normal stalking ranges. The ladder gives me aim points approximately every 50m out to just over 1000m for ringing the gong. I don't dial and aim off for windage. It's simple and accurate. I use Strelok Pro to give me the values down the ladder or just shoot and record the distances. I also use a Z6i 2.5 - 15x with a BR reticle on my 6.5 x 55 zeroed at 160m and have aim points out to about 650m.

Rory

I think the OP is more concerned about target TURRETS, not the reticles (though that would be its own concern - which do I pick).
@Pickles - have a look at something like the Schmidt and Bender PMII single turn (3-12x or 4-16x range) which are quite low profile, unlike the older Leupold Mk4 'towers'.

Example of S&B 3-12x50 PMII turrets
Schmidt-Bender-PMII-3-12x50-ST-CW-Scope.jpg

Older Leupold Mark 4 10x40 'towers'
2ee1c462bdf668e0f0dd437f09b621bf.jpg

Exposed turrets/adjustments are something I find easier to keep track of and aren't left wondering if it was a 100/150/200m zero. But, if they aren't low profile, very positively engaged, they can be susceptible to inadvertent adjustment from being joggled about.

Cyres

I have a Leupold MK tactical on my 223, Zeiss 6x24x56 on the 204 both have dialable turrets. If your into preciscion shooting then dial in if not hold over or under.

D

Muntybuck5803

I am a self confessed mag whore.
I like having the extra to be able to wind it up and be in no doubt about the quality of an animal before I potentially waste time stalking into it to realise it’s too good to take at that time etc.
I’ve got a 5-25x56 PM2 obviously with turrets.
A Leupold Mk4 8-24x50 again with turrets.
And a Swarovski Z6 5-30 with the BT but it’s also available without.
So I suppose if you want capped turrets or limited dialing something like that Z6 could work for you? Or maybe with the 4A-300 reticle which is a simple ballistic drop ret. nice and clean and maybe ideal for you?

Attachments

• BEEA59BD-0949-44B4-81E5-18008D39F0A9.jpeg
    BEEA59BD-0949-44B4-81E5-18008D39F0A9.jpeg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: MAH

MAH

the world of ballistic turrets etc?
Hi Pickles.
I agree with post 2 and 7.
But I'd go a bit further to say; high magnification and ballistic turrets are not necessarily linked.
In that there is no magnification, at which they are indispensable.
Sure they help, if you have time to adjust them.

They come into their own when the range over which you shoot (min max distance) and the trajectory of your chosen bullet/load, means the bullets trajectory to target makes it too difficult to estimate hold over.

So, for a relatively large, slow bullet, used over 50m to 200m, (relatively big arc) some might put them on a 3-9 scope.

Whereas, at the other end of the scale, I'd love one on my .17Rem and a 6-24x scope (20g bullets at 4000fps very shallow arc).
But I can easily make do using mil dots and hold over.

Understanding range and trajectory is a prerequisite to using ballistic turrets and I've always found it easier to estimate "range" that "wind speed" and ballistic turrets don't help with the latter.

M.

Pickles

I am a self confessed mag whore.
I like having the extra to be able to wind it up and be in no doubt about the quality of an animal before I potentially waste time stalking into it to realise it’s too good to take at that time etc.
I’ve got a 5-25x56 PM2 obviously with turrets.
A Leupold Mk4 8-24x50 again with turrets.
And a Swarovski Z6 5-30 with the BT but it’s also available without.
So I suppose if you want capped turrets or limited dialing something like that Z6 could work for you? Or maybe with the 4A-300 reticle which is a simple ballistic drop ret. nice and clean and maybe ideal for you?
This sounds like the perfect set up for what I'm hoping... now the big question how much would you be looking at for a Non BT Z6?

Muntybuck5803

This sounds like the perfect set up for what I'm hoping... now the big question how much would you be looking at for a Non BT Z6?
I reckon approximately £1000 to maybe £1100 for a used non illuminated none BT version maybe.
Up to potentially £1300-1400 for the used illuminated models. With a couple of hundred quid difference between the Gen1&2.
I’m sure a wanted ad on here could see you right. Some of the trade lads may be along shortly to give a better price indication.
Or if money is no object Pickles, Swarovski make a Z8 2.8-28 I think it is, and that has the option to add or take away ballistic turrets depending on your desired use.
🤤

Last edited:

Jagare

You need the biggest , fattest scope with lots of twiddly knobs and a reticle with a mass of little bars and lines that is in the third focal plane. Not forgetting a twiddly thing for paralax. If it has the designation PM 11 even better. All these thing will help it sell better in the forsale section to the next wonabee rural sniper when you upgrade after a year or two.

Muntybuck5803

Something like this might fit your requirements.
I’ve never owned a NF scope but a lot of friends won’t use anything else and speak very highly of them

Also an 8-32x56 but I think they only made that one with turrets.

Last edited:

Cottis

My ideal scenario would be..
56mm objective
30mm tube
Highest magnification possible
Non ballistic turrets.
Any thoughts on what might fit the bill.. :tiphat:
Have a look at the March compact range of scopes. They do a 2.5-25x52 in SFP or a 3-24x52 in FFP with a variety of illumination modles or non illuminated. They have a crap ton of reticle choices from basic to OTT. While they come with open turrets, they are very low profile but are bullet proof and do not budge unless you want them to.

The scopes are also very light and built to last. They are proper all rounders. Not cheap but then they do tick lots of boxes. If you want mega mag, they do some crazy ranges up to x 80 magnification. Their website is pretty comprehensive but be prepared to sell a kidney.