High Speed 2

enfieldspares

A pointless vanity project that has no practical benefit save maybe freeing up the West Coat Line for freight. And made with Chinese steel?

Typically English it offers nothing of benefit to Scotland or Wales and, in truth, the money would have been better spent making the A47 a dual carriageway its full length or in restoring some of the closed Benching lines as park and ride commuter lines.

I won't use it as the time I'd save I'd more than use up use getting to the new station in Leicestershire from any of the current Leicestershire stations.

mchughcb

Germany has the ICE, France has the TGV and UK gets the HS2?

I would have thought a ICE from London to Edinburgh in 2.5 hours would have been a good start?

Tim.243

A pointless vanity project that has no practical benefit save maybe freeing up the West Coat Line for freight. And made with Chinese steel?

Typically English it offers nothing of benefit to Scotland or Wales and, in truth, the money would have been better spent making the A47 a dual carriageway its full length or in restoring some of the closed Benching lines as park and ride commuter lines.

I won't use it as the time I'd save I'd more than use up use getting to the new station in Leicestershire from any of the current Leicestershire stations.

Just for you ES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CibqOPMw9e0

Tim.243

The fourth Horseman

The biggest waste of money yet. So if a journey takes half an hour less is the cost really worth it? A complete White Elephant or whatever colour you fancy.

TOMMO.B

old quaint English villages destroyed to get to London faster. I thought the idea was to get out of London fast:)

opticron1

Agree with Enfield Spares, a complete waste of time and the biggest vanity project in years! Try getting our vastly over subsidised "private" railway companies to plough their obscene dividends (paid for by us poor tax payers) back into the existing structure and improve what we already have. This might stop the pointless destruction of thousands of acres of green land through England for no benefit whatsoever......

David Nimrod

Spend the money on just getting the trains to run on time...

And filling in the millions of potholes, on the roads,

It's a pointless vanity project, typical of immature politicians!

Cyres

They haven't sorted the elctrification of the line to Bristol/bath yet, 2 billion overspend and masively over schedule. Pie in the sky. £200 daily return from Bristol to Paddington!!!!

D

mchughcb

Having read the project director's reasons. As an example he said that getting from Birmingham to London in 50mins is important because at a whim you may want to watch the opera in London and be back home at Birmingham before 11pm. Any longer then its just too hard. Just checking how out of touch he is with the average UK stalker.

GWP

Allready lost 20acres this lots going through some rough shooting i have one farmer has sold out another wont be able to open his back door with another going straight throu the house.

deeangeo

HS2, a stunning waste of money that would have been better spent making our third world roads into 21st century driveable roads once more.
Politicians involved and promoting this nonsensical venture should be voted out of office as soon as possible.

NigelM

I took a Virgin train from London to Birmingham in January. It too 1 hr 20 minutes. I understand HS2 will do it in 1 Hr 10 minutes. Who has done the sums that prove a 10 minute saving is worth the multi millions it will cost? He must get paid quite a bit :)

Bandit Country

I read the cost will be 33 billion.
... and then some! Various figures are bandied about and £33 billion is very much at the low end of the spectrum. Highest estimate I've seen to date, is £82 billion and I'll bet my pension, they'll go way over that. While I've no problem with Keynesian economic intervention, for it to be effective the money needs to be spent on something of real value.

rem284

I agree with the general census of opinion. A waste of money, land and resources. Tax payers money being spent for the purpose of spending it. I cannot for see myself using it, I live 2 hours a way from the nearest train station. Just bonkers when there have been major cut backs in the NHS, local authority services and other services for years. They say this was to reduce the National debt. I for one am sick of hearing "cut backs"