HMR 17 and cleaning intervals

Trufflehunting

Im interested in HMR owners thoughts on how often they should be cleaned and does this affect accuracy for several shots after cleaning ??

ezzy6.5

Hi Trufflehunting,

I'm sure every HMR is different but my CZ varmint has to be cleaned about every 150 rounds or it goes totally off. It used to be a lot less but it is getting better the more i use it.
Once its been cleaned it wont shoot under an 1 1/2"for about 20 rounds.
this is getting better as the gun gets older and i put it down to a rough bore so i tried JB pasteing the living daylights out of it, I can't say whether it helped or not (probably not) but it used to need cleaning every 75 rounds then wouldn't shoot for about 30 (its amazing that i put up with it).
All that taken into account it's a great little rifle, it just takes a bit of disapline to keep it going, this is probably true of all 17 calibres.

Ezzy.

TONY M

Hi Truffle,-------- sorry mate , from now on it will have to be TH or the full monica, otherwise my street cred goes down the swanny 8) :lol:
I`ve had a 17 for two years and I love it; flat shooting, hard hitting and as accurate as a match rifle.
You will pick up tips on rifle cleaning from everyone, varying from, "never, never,ever," to "every time you fire a shot" and of course everything in between.
Everyone with their own views and ideas and the crucial point is; they must all be hitting what they are shooting at, otherwise they would not offer their method as working! ---or would they? :???:
So, after owning one and trying all methods, I find mine shoots better clean but you can rattle off a fair number of shots before the group opens up, Good luck, good shooting. Tony M.

poddle

I drag the snake through mine every fifty rounds or so, but I don't make a fuss of it, just enough to keep things clear.

Keeping the SAK silencer clean is more important, it's like a cob web and catches everything. So check that at least every 80 rounds. musta pulled half pound of crap outta mine on one occasion :oops:

By that time the rifle was shooting all over the place.