Hollow point Bullets and OAL .243

Blacknsilver

A little help needed.
I have 85gr Sierra game kings and through testing the OAL with the Hornady Lenght gauge I am now finding that what Sierra states that the bullet should be seated at is actually sat in the lands.
Has anyone else found this? Unsure of what depth I should be seating these at.
Thanks

nun_hunter

I had the same issue with that load in a Tikka T3 243. It didn't cause me any problems and was very accurate although I can see in hindsight that it wasn't ideal in a hunting rifle.

Maybe try seating deeper to get it off the lands and then work up to a safe load again.

PKL

if it's a short throated rifle then that could happen,,that's why measuring your throat to the lands and backing off 20thou is a good starting point as not al rifles are the same. I think I sat mine in a sako 75 at 2.7" COAL with 87g'ers and it was sweeeet.

measuring your max seating depth to the lands is easy, even without the 'right' tools,,then again, I'm a Jimmy Rigger ;)

stevenedwards

I have found the same. I started by seating 30 thou back and sorting out the powder. ended up 20th clear of the lands with 90gr TGK

Beretta shooter

I found the same with Sierra PH 100grain in my sako .243 I seated the bullet 10thou deaper than manufacturers guidelines and have worked up a safe relatively accurate load. I now intend to have a little play around with seating deapths to see if accuracy gets any better.

Yorric

With hollow point bullets, don't measure COAL. Instead compare & copy (using a Hornady type gauge) your reloads length to a sample of factory a ammo that uses the same bullets, which will be made to a standard (like SAAMI) length that keeps the bullets well clear of the lands.
HP bullets vary a lot in length at the tip so that shouldn't be used as a reference point.
Start at powder makers' starting load values & work up to the velocity / accuracy that you want watching for pressure signs as you go. Check that your load data matches the factory ammo for COAL, just to validate similarity).
This should work in all rifles, even short throated ones, but it is still a good policy to measure the rifle freebore to be sure you are well off the lands.
Twiddling with bullet seating is the last thing to be done & in the real world unnecessary IMHO. Instead, vary the powder type,charge weight, primer type mix & neck tension first, testing decent sample sizes. In my experience that is more than enough to produce small groups on target.

Ian

levigsp

A little help needed.
I have 85gr Sierra game kings and through testing the OAL with the Hornady Lenght gauge I am now finding that what Sierra states that the bullet should be seated at is actually sat in the lands.
Has anyone else found this? Unsure of what depth I should be seating these at.
Thanks
I have stated this before and was told by Sierra 30+years ago that these bullets should always be loaded touching the lands. I have always done this as these 1530s behave differently to most bullets.

paul o'

I used to load and this was in an RPA inter'r 15 thou off , btw i'v got some on there way to test in the sako .243 to try i'll be testing them after i'v found the OAL With the comparator gage to the ogive as other have said they dont always come up the same to the mamplat but the ogive is spot on this is what I use to find my settings .

Blacknsilver

I have seated a few off the lands etc and I will seat a few back to original length and re test.
Don’t like the idea of chambering the round and ejecting it if the shot isn’t used and the chance of leaving the bullet stuck in the pipe and powder being dumped in the action.
Bloody reloading lol drives me nuts at times.

Andy RV

I seem to remember having to load these short to clear the lands, I did some googling and it looked like a common issue.

Just checked, I loaded them at 65mm overall length.

Toots

Watching this thread with interest. Will be loading these bullets for my .243 when current supply of 100gr gamekings starts running low (but at my current rate of usage that could take a long time).