Home Office Guidance

Yoda

Has anyone on SD read the above?
I know they are only guidelines and not law, but most questions on here can be answered by reading them.

but it is only guidance:doh:

But it nevertheless is Guidance from the Home Office.

If they don't follow it, one has grounds to draw the attention of the FLD manager to the variance. If there's no satisfactory outcome from that, the Chief Constable and MP can be advised of the problem also.

I've found this approach useful in the past - but it wouldn't have worked if I'd given up when they told me, '...but it's only Guidance!'

but it is only guidance:doh:

Maybe you're not up to speed with the Authorised Professional Practice from the College of Policing?

QUOTE:
Forces that choose not to align their activities with the Home Office Guide are required to notify the national policing lead of the Firearms and Explosives Licensing Working Group (FELWG) and provide a rationale for their decision.
END QUOTE

Can't see too many wanting to do that and banjax the push for national conformity and the provision of evidence to justify upping the fees, can you?

Full information here:

https://www.app.college.police.uk/a...ion-and-public-protection/firearms-licensing/

Yes..I used the HO Guidelines to good effect to have conditions removed on the granting and use of a 9.3 x 62 with expanding ammo for deer in Dorset.

As Orion said Plod are now under a "requirement" to start singing from the same hymn sheet!

Yes..I used the HO Guidelines to good effect to have conditions removed on the granting and use of a 9.3 x 62 with expanding ammo for deer in Dorset.

Ditto here in Devon & Cornwall after a renewal that saw some unwarranted changes made to my FAC. Spelling it out step-by-step with detailed reference to the HO Guidance reverted it back to it's correct state. I understand that staff changes in the FLD have removed a great deal of experience, which might not bode well for others with similar 'unusual' requirements - unless they can support their applications.

Home office guidelines are only guidelines, the same as health and safety guidelines, but and its a big but , if you or the police fail to follow the guidelines, then the full force of the law can be used to ensure you follow them, as they will be the main evidence used to argue the case of negligence, by the third party, ( you or the police).

Home office guidelines are only guidelines, the same as health and safety guidelines, but and its a big but , if you or the police fail to follow the guidelines, then the full force of the law can be used to ensure you follow them, as they will be the main evidence used to argue the case of negligence, by the third party, ( you or the police).

So follow the guidelines as if they were law then we can't go far wrong. The reason I started the original post was that I suspect very few people have actually read and digested it properly. Me included until recently!

Correct Yoda, you will then always have a defence, which is open to interpretation, and that's where the problems start with most FLO,s

Has anyone on SD read the above?
I know they are only guidelines and not law, but most questions on here can be answered by reading them.

Yoda, your OP was absolutely right but got short shrift initially. It happens.

The links were in a sticky on the ‘Legal Issues’ forum page, but don’t work so I’ve reposted the most up-to-date at the end (the latest Guidance is now the October 2014 version). It might be necessary to cut and paste these into some browsers.

No-one would play a game or take part in any sport unless they knew the rules, yet the same inane questions keep appearing & it’s all been said before. IMO if anyone hasn't tried to find the answer to a licensing query or a 'can I do this?' doubt in these first they should be beaten to death with bound copies of the Firearms Security Handbook. Two or three blows of this tome will penetrate the thickest of skulls, and are guaranteed to reduce re-offending.

If someone has the time to log-in and post a question then try these links beforehand as you’ll find the answer quicker. The guides are couched in mandarin language, but Adobe Reader has a first rate search function any stalker can follow (click on the paper clip, then the binocular symbol & enter text).

ATB.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa..._on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_v10_-_Oct_2014.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/firearms-handbook-2005

I've read the guidelines quite a few times over the years. As others have said, it can be 'helpful' when beaurecrats try to place obstacles in your way.
On one or two other forums that I use, I often recommend to people that they read the guidelknes before they post a question.

Back