Home office guideline

Our passion is your passion... stalk with us!

Rusty Gate

Min cal for boar is .270. In Europe 6.5x55 is used for much larger game as in Elk, Moose and Bear. With that in mind and us using the term "guide lines" is there any thing stopping me from using a 6.5 for boar guys? Would like to try this but don't fancy another rifle/calibre to be honest as this seems to be capable of the job....

I. Farticus

I hate to contradict, but it is just guidance. I have Deer & AOLQ on my 6.5x55mm and checked that boar is covered with my FEO.

The response was a sigh and a slightly pithy "are boar lawful quarry?"
"Yes"
"Then they are covered..."

Last edited:

nun_hunter

As Farticus said if you have AOLQ then you're fine unless your force conditions your rifle for specific species and does not list boar. Sussex originally told me I needed a minimum of .270 but then gave AOLQ on a smaller calibre and got a bit confused and contradictory when I pointed out that the AOLQ would legally cover me.

The tramp

I had a similair question, my .222 is conditioned 'fox and any other lawful quarry' where my .243, .308, .260 and .444 are 'deer and any other lawful quarry' so I asked if its ok to use the .222 on muntjac and cwd, and 'yes, it comes under other lawful quarry', if there's nothing in law saying you can't use it, if you think it'll be humane, then it's fine. Though it was pointed out, that maybe it's not a great idea to use the .444 on vermin, rabbits etc, but, it does do a darn fine job on Charlie I must say
Pete

Jagare

Min cal for boar is .270. In Europe 6.5x55 is used for much larger game as in Elk, Moose and Bear. With that in mind and us using the term "guide lines" is there any thing stopping me from using a 6.5 for boar guys? Would like to try this but don't fancy another rifle/calibre to be honest as this seems to be capable of the job....

Would i choose A 6.5x55 as my boar gun? No. Would i hunt European brown bear with a 6.5x55? No. Would i shoot Moose with a 6.5x55? Yes. Moose are not hard to kill.
There was a article in one of our hunting mags about the wounding rates for various calibres on boar. The 6.5x55 came out worse and only seen as suitable for yearling boar.

2130martin

Theres you reason for using that calibre,I know of two people who have 6.5 conditioned for Boar........however if you go for AOLQ,JOB DONE......

8x57

Distinguished Member
While I usually believe that we have more than sufficient laws in this country, my personal view is that the law should be amended or new legislation introduced so as to set a minimum calibre/muzzle energy/bullet weight for boar, and not rely upon mere guidance.
I am very much in favour of AOLQ however while I am not saying that using a 6.5mm is wrong at this time, taking advantage of the AOLQ condition to justify the use of some calibres/cartridges which are quite clearly unsuitable is surely wrong hence the need for clarification and if necessary legislation.

2130martin

While I usually believe that we have more than sufficient laws in this country, my personal view is that the law should be amended or new legislation introduced so as to set a minimum calibre/muzzle energy/bullet weight for boar, and not rely upon mere guidance.
I am very much in favour of AOLQ however while I am not saying that using a 6.5mm is wrong at this time, taking advantage of the AOLQ condition to justify the use of some calibres/cartridges which are quite clearly unsuitable is surely wrong hence the need for clarification and if necessary legislation.

What you are saying is that the Legislators are medling where they shouldnt be,if there is no minimum calibre they should not try to enforce one...........there are enough animal welfare laws to cover best practice etc..........

8x57

Distinguished Member
No what I am saying is that there should be a legal minimum for boar. What I am not saying at this stage is what that minimum calibre/energy level should be.

2130martin

No what I am saying is that there should be a legal minimum for boar. What I am not saying at this stage is what that minimum calibre/energy level should be.

I fail to see the theory behind minimum calibres,we all know its all about shot placement......the Police get confused over calibres per se,too large for rabbits and fox,too small for deer,north or south of the border,ground cleared up to .270 but not .308................?!?!?!?!?

8x57

Distinguished Member
I fail to see the theory behind minimum calibres,we all know its all about shot placement......the Police get confused over calibres per se,too large for rabbits and fox,too small for deer,north or south of the border,ground cleared up to .270 but not .308................?!?!?!?!?

So you agree with some reckless fools using totally unsuitable calibres for shooting boar then? This can be done quite legally under a AOLQ condition on a certificate.
I think that this has been discussed numerous times in the past on this forum and as so often some pretty diverse views come to the fore. My point is that it would save a great deal of argument if there were relevant legislation similar to the deer act that covered boar, and not just mere guidance as there is at present.

Apache

This can be done quite legally under a AOLQ condition on a certificate.

Legally in terms of firearms law, but you could easily be guilty under the Animal Welfare Act for causing unnecessary suffering. That is the case whatever the calibre.

jubnut

Legally in terms of firearms law, but you could easily be guilty under the Animal Welfare Act for causing unnecessary suffering. That is the case whatever the calibre.

That would be my understanding. If you were caught causing "unnecessary suffering" by shooting a boar with a calibre less than .270, surely the prosecutions case would be based on the fact that DEFRA guidance quotes .270 as a minimum calibre. You as the shooter wouldn't have a leg to stand on if your defence was "well I had AOLQ and I thought I'd give it a bash."

on another note, my certificate states I can use my big rifle for deer, other medium quarry, vermin and fox. Are boar "medium quarry?" Because the Red Deer is britain's largest land mammal so surely everything else by comparison is either small or medium?

8x57

Distinguished Member

I agree Apache, I think that might be the basis for any possible prosecution. It would certainly make an interesting test case, I just wonder which way the courts would go with it.

That would be my understanding. If you were caught causing "unnecessary suffering" by shooting a boar with a calibre less than .270, surely the prosecutions case would be based on the fact that DEFRA guidance quotes .270 as a minimum calibre. You as the shooter wouldn't have a leg to stand on if your defence was "well I had AOLQ and I thought I'd give it a bash."

on another note, my certificate states I can use my big rifle for deer, other medium quarry, vermin and fox. Are boar "medium quarry?" Because the Red Deer is britain's largest land mammal so surely everything else by comparison is either small or medium?

Once again unclear terminology used on a certificate. What you may think is "medium quarry" could be entirely different to what I think of as medium quarry. You mention DEFRA guidance but it would also be contrary to H.O. guidance and no doubt guidance and legislation in other European countries would be mentioned in any test case brought before the courts as part of a prosecution case.

Last edited:

timbrayford

My point is that it would save a great deal of argument if there were relevant legislation similar to the deer act that covered boar, and not just mere guidance as there is at present.
I agree,I suspect that the absence of this sort of legislation is because the authorities would have to acknowledge that the Boar exist as true wild animals and not merely farm escapees and also impose a close season on humane grounds. atb Tim

ziggy

I just got my ticket back from variation, lincs police have now given me AOLQ on all the rifles. last year when I wanted to go and try for a boar I asked if they would put it on my .308 just to cover myself sort of thing but they wouldn't. upon checking my new licence it now has my recently asked for 6.5x55 with boar mentioned on it(not asked for) but not on the .308. think ill stick to using the 308 for them when the opportunity arises though

finnbear270

Animal welfare,& the laws that go with it, should be tempered with a moral attitude, to reflect a real hunters respect for quarry, Bow hunters get in close to ensure humane delivery of the shot, rifle shooters should ensure enough gun to give a humane kill.

CDSG Shooting Sports