'Honour among thieves'

Freeforester

Just taken off the old dog; poor tick!

IMG_1511.jpg

No reason to be surprised I suppose, they're always looking for a blood meal! Not witnessed this before though. Every day's a school day.

Attachments

• IMG_1511.JPG
    IMG_1511.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

VSS

Bigger bugs have little bugs, upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little bugs have lesser bugs, so on ad infinitum.

Alantoo

Just taken off the old dog; poor tick!

View attachment 98702

No reason to be surprised I suppose, they're always looking for a blood meal! Not witnessed this before though. Every day's a school day.

On ev'ry tick there is a tick upon his back to bite 'em
And on that tick a littler tick
and so Ad Infinitum….

With acknowledgements to Jonathan Swift and Augustus de Morgan :)

This is the third double tick I have had off my little springers this year! Two of them during a week walking on Arran at the beginning of June and these yesterday. I wonder if they were already a pair when she picked them up or they found her independently and joined up after?

Alan

View attachment 43613

Posted 4 years ago here...don't time fly!

On ev'ry Tick there is a tick upon his back to bite 'em

Sadly neither of our photos are actually an appropriate example of Augustus de Morgan's...

"Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so, ad infinitum..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siphonaptera_(poem)

They are just a male and female doing what comes naturally.

In February 2017 we had an interesting West Branch BDS evening talk given by tick expert Michael Peacey MSc (Oxon) who is an Author/co-author of number of important Papers relating to Tick/Insect borne diseases.

There I was proudly showing him my photos of the twin ticks...and he just casually said, "Male and Female mating." And then immediately started talking about something else :(

Alan

Last edited:

Freeforester

I stand corrected, nothing new under the sun, nor on SD it would seem! Afraid I missed this first time around.
Thanks for the correction.:oops: