Hornady 165 grain SST's - .308

Has anyone used these on Roe? I have been given a box of 100 and wondered what the carcasss damage was like. I have been using 150 grain SST's for several years and I really like them. Any input on how they fly, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

musty

I use 150g sst's and find them verry accurate. I shoot mainly roe, fallow and muntjack and as of yet have hadd no issue with carcuss damage or fragmentation.

steve

Moe 243

Used 165s for a few months, carcass damage on roe not to bad, dropped sika stone dead aswell no probs, had a problem on a big Roebuck once, shot him through the shoulder, 2" hole in blade but no exit hole hence no blood trail,:eek: found him about 10 yrds away, when skinned out found the copper jacket between the skin and the last rib. Was it a duff bullet?:confused: stopped using them, now use Sierra Gameking instead, no probs so far!!!!!:D

Moe..

ejg

I haven't had anything walk away from a 165sst out a 308. I've had zero meat damage to quite a bit of damage when one hits bone on the entrance. This was on sika.
If 165gr I guess the sst is a good choice for roe, tougher bullets might not open up in time on the small roe with the slowish 308.
This is an example of a frontal head shot sika stag, bullet was retrieved after it went through head and travelled down the spine a bit. All my side on shot sika had the bullet exit.
edi165grsst.jpg

Hubertus1

I have just ordered the new superformance 139gr for my 7x57. Projectile is SST. Have only heard good things about it.

leec6.5

ive just today loaded 140gn sst's over 48gn of RL22 for my 6.5x55 , very accurate on the range producing a sub inch grouping when zeroed in 1" high at 100yds and only dropping 1.5 - 2" at 200yds .

have not tried them out on the quary yet , going to have to wait untill sunday .

but one thing a friend of mine told me that what ever load you use with the sst , the result will be identical with the hornady GMX non toxic bullet ! but ive yet to try it and am welcome to be proven wrong !

ATVB lee

geriatricmauser66

Has anyone used these on Roe? I have been given a box of 100 and wondered what the carcasss damage was like. I have been using 150 grain SST's for several years and I really like them. Any input on how they fly, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
Loaded them for years both in .308 and 30-06 but a "better" man than me said 150gr. for 308 and 165gr for 30-06. Gets a bit too technical for me but they have all worked well over the years on red, fallow, sika, roe and muntjac( a bit ouch on this one)
I now am restricted to fallow, roe and muntjac all nicely taken care of by .243 95gr B/T's.