Hornady ELD-X

Some small reports on the Hornady Precision Hunter ammo in the german Caliber magazine. Seems to expand well even at over 300m with 308 178gr. Accuracy was exceptional too.
If someone wants a copy pm me your e-mail.
edi

The ELD does not shoot the same out at longer distances. It has less drop because the tip is not deforming and affecting BC. There is an article about the whole saga and how Doppler radar revealed the fault with the old tip and has now revolutionized ballistic testing, in the Jan 2016 edition of NRA Rifleman magazine.

In comparison testing with 6.5mm cartridges loaded exactly the same in every respect save for the old vs new tip, both having the same muzzle velocity (2800ps) - at 800yds the heat shield tip dropped 7" less (0.84moa) and had 100FPS more velocity, and was more resistant to wind drift.

Last edited:
I have managed to lay my hands on a box of the 7mm 162 grain. Planning on working them up over xmas and then hopefully trying them out on some Fallow. They should be doing 3000fps when I've finished with them. Will report back when I have tried them.

I watched a video last night where one man went after boar and coyotes,with a 6,5 creedmore and ELD-X ,143grain,,,He shot a large boar which dropped in its shadow,but frustratingly shot three coyotes,all of which he had to follow up with a second shot each, so it looked to him that there wasn,t enough expansion on the lighter bodied thin skinned coyotes,all four animals where shot between 100 to 200 yds,approx.doug

My impression of coyote-shooting videos is that the shooters are often less particular about shot placement than they might be. Not even the best-expanding bullet can compensate for it being put in the wrong place, especially where medium calibres are concerned. Can you post the link?

EDGUN at night with night viz and eld-x 143grain , found it.I,m not saying they are no good ,it was just me flicking around looking at 6,5 stuff plus the eld-x.there are quite a few vids on ulube now of the eld.s,,,,DOUG

Last edited:
EDGUN at night with night viz and eld-x 143grain

Thanks. I'm still inclined to say shot placement. The Texas Heart Shot actually looked like a good quartering chest shot (assuming he's precisely zeroed, within the limitations of the Apex's adjustments and screen resolution), whist the other two were distinctly off. I believe a proper varmint bullet in the .17-22 calibre / 25-55 grain range would have worked for the first two coyotes, but he'd probably have had to wait for a better angle on the third. Of course with anything less than a 6.5 he would probably have had to pass up the shot on the boar, or be absolutely sure of a brain shot. In any case, the ELD-X is designed for medium-large game, so, as ever, shot placement is most critical when you are using the wrong projectile for the quarry type!

Last edited:
What i cant work out is why did they go for 143grain in the X,or was it just more marketing being allready set up for 140 amax why not just change the tip?or maybe thats where the extra comes in.;)

I have a 6.5/284 I use for red deer, would the eld-x give much meat damage? I try to load my rounds at 2800-2950fps

If Head or text book chestshots are taken I can't see there will be any meat damage as there isn't any to damage.the extra few grains on the bullet will raise BC figures higher than the competitors Doug.atb swaro

So I shouldn't expect the eld-x to be as explosive as say a v-max? Shot a couple of roe with 87gr v max years ago and wish I hadn't!

ELD-x appears to be a ballistic tipped interlock with less frangible terminal results than sst
nothing like vmax

i want to know what they really do on deer not paper

Back