Hornady ELDX .308 178gr

HowaU

Hi who stocks these bullets, or can someone recommend someone? Have any body used these bullets, where they good?

What will the best powder be for the bullet to run it in a 20inch 1:10 twist?

asking a lot of questions, just trying to work up a load.

regards
Simon

HowaU

Seems like a realy good bullet, giving you a good reach in distance with good expansion and weight retention. Would serve as a good bullet to hunt with and the odd occasion target shoot so no swapping rounds. Would be able to use the same drop chart.

Southern

Long bullet, so it takes up powder space. You will have to use a faster (normal powder ), but with a 20 inch barrel, you won't be able to achieve the 2,650 fps needed for 1,000 yards, but it will be good for over 600.

I have not tried loading this bullet yet, but can tell you to back down a bit, and use match primers in commercial brass:
Work up to :
43.0 gr Varget
44.0 gr RL-15
43.0 gr IMR-4064

HowaU

Thanks Southern, as soon as I can get my hands on some of these bullets I will post my findings.

all the best Simon

Southern

200-gr bullets out of the .308 ( or .30-06 or .300 Win Mag ) benefit from more barrel length, because you need to use a slower powder, than with the 165-gr and 175 class of bullets.

45.0 grains of H-380, H-414, W-760, IMR-4350, H-4350, or RL-17 is the approximate maximum.

RL-17 is a bit different, in that it was designed for the .30 and 7mm short magnums, and has an impregnated retardant, instead of a retardant coating. So Alliant gives the maximum at 48.7 grains for the 180-gr bullet at 2,640 FPS from a 24-inch barrel. With more powder in the case, RL-17 should give about 100 fps more than the other powders above. My guess is, to be safe, assume 47.5 is max for a 200-gr, but watch for pressure signs with all of them when you start compressing the load.

If you want to shoot paper far away, the 155-gr Palma bullets are the ticket.
For 200 grain bullets from a smaller, shorter case, the 8x57 IR Mauser is better in a hunting rifle than the .308 Win.

Last edited:

HowaU

Thanks for the feedback Baithlonjimmy and Southern, came to the conclusion, that this bullet will no be suited for my rifle and my intentions to build a hybrid round for my Howa 20inch 1:10 .308.

back to the drawing board.

stubear

Have you tried the 165gr Hornady interbond?

I've been working up some loads with this in my rifle (in .308) and have had some great groups at 100 yards, especially with 41.6gr of RS52, Lapua brass and CCI primers - Basically shot a 1 hole group!

I'm going to try out 45gr, 45.6 and 46gr loads at some point as well. I thought I was getting pressure signs at 44.6gr but once I got home and did some research it transpires I didnt - So I just have those to test.

It was encouraging to see that OCW recommends 46gr of Varget under 168gr bullets as the optimal charge weight, as RS52 is very similar to Varget I gather. I'm hoping there will be another accuracy node at either 46gr or just under.

Biathlonjimmy

Thanks for the feedback Baithlonjimmy and Southern, came to the conclusion, that this bullet will no be suited for my rifle and my intentions to build a hybrid round for my Howa 20inch 1:10 .308.

back to the drawing board.

I've gone round full circle to SAKO 123gr Game Heads again. Pushing them just under factory at 3000fps. Very good sub 200yds in a 20" barrel. Zero at 150 and 2" low at 200 5" low at 250. Really easy on my scope as 1 moa higher at 200 or 2 moa higher at 250. I use it as a woodland/lowland rifle now.

I got the 200gr ELD-X for a 300WSM which I'll use on the hill.

I've used the 165gr Interbonds in both .308 and 300WSM. Messy on roe out of the WSM and the .308 didn't like them. Big groups. I have a friend who has used them to very good effect in .308 though and he wouldn't change them for anything else.

HowaU

Stubear, have not tried the 165gr interbonds yet, have some 168gr amax running them at a 2683ft/s hitting steel at 910m with a 8kph wind. Had a nosler 125gr at 2925ft/s same wind hitting between 400m to 700m. No joy with the 125gr at 900m thats when i just switched the round checked data and ding! Hit.

Biathlonjimmy, them nice light rounds zipp nice and fast and has a flat trajectory.

after all the advice and numerous searches and YouTube videos, i am planning on giving the sierra gameking 165gr hpbt a chance, from what I can gather this will probably be the medicine for my setup.

Slickshot

I’m using the 178 eld-m with my AI AT 24” barrel.

My load is

lapus brass 2.005”
cci 200 primer
178 Eld-m
ramshot big game 47.4 gr

getting an a avarage of 2580 at the moment with a one hole 5 shot group. Shot to 800 yards so far at a crow. Not hitting it due to a poor wind call but elevation & stalbity looked fine.

The Farmer

Hi who stocks these bullets, or can someone recommend someone? Have any body used these bullets, where they good?

What will the best powder be for the bullet to run it in a 20inch 1:10 twist?

asking a lot of questions, just trying to work up a load.

regards
Simon
I used 178 Amax which is basically the same in my 20" tikka varmint 308. 44gr of Varget gets me 2556 fps with a SD of 5. Sub quarter inch every time I use it.

Edinburgh Rifles

Almost impossible to get hold off in the UK for some reason

We can get :

ELD-X
270 cal - 145gr
7mm - 162gr, 175gr
30 cal - 212gr, 220gr

ELD-Match
22 cal - 73gr, 75gr
(I really want to try some of the 6mm 108gr ELD-M)
6.5mm - 100gr, 120gr
7mm - 180gr
30 cal - 208gr

Arguably the whole VLD and High BC aspect of any bullet choice is utterly irrelevant in hunting stalking situations that require shots inside 300m

The ballistic advantage on drop is negligible
The ballistic advantage on windage is usually significantly smaller than the margin of error or accuracy potential of the gun/user

unless you can shoot sub 1" groups at 300m the BC advantage is irrelevant
If you are shooting deer at 300-600m then accuracy is only one consideration, reliable terminal effect is the major failing of a lot of VLD style hunting bullets.

The higher BC does maintain a marginally higher velocity at the target but that is ultimately a consequence of Muzzle velocity and also the difference is irrelevant inside 300m

But, in the Terminal effect and expansion department the ELD-X does appear to be receiving excellent terminal results in the US and NZ at ranges we very rarely encounter in the UK

This video is one of the better ones:

Billy Goat Vs 178 ELDX 300LR - YouTube

This one replicates a ELR hunting situation with an equivalent terminal velocity of a 308 150gr at approx 700 yds

30 cal 212 grain ELD-X 1680fps kill performance video - YouTube

dodgyknees

^^^^

This is spot on from Mr Rifles. Great goat vid and exactly what I’ve been doing these past 4 weeks.

I’ve been using the 178gr ELD-X in my 22” Tikka T3 .308. I set up a load for longer range (600m+) and found that the rifle had accuracy problems unrelated to the bullet, but sufficient to negate any positives gained from the high BC. So after initial load development and realising I had a problem, I used up the rest of the .308 ELD-Xs on short range (<300m) goats and for the time being won’t be going there again in .30 cal until I’ve got the rifle working at 0.5-0.75 MOA again with 155gr A-Max. In the meantime I bought a 6.5 CM.

In all I’ve shot 30-40 goats with 178gr ELD-X in .308 sub-300m, and around 60 with 143gr ELD-X in 6.5mm sub-600m. Plus 6 reds between 400-600m and a couple sub-200m with the 6.5mm. They work. Unequivocally. Brilliant pills. I’ve had more dead-on-the-spots with the ELD-X than any other pill I’ve ever used, its pretty much guaranteed if you hit them at 1800fps+ in the shoulder or front on.

Agreed the high BC doesn’t deliver any real benefit until you’re past 300-400m but the heavy for calibre weight and “reliable expansion at all hunting ranges” promise is delivering for me big time. In 6.5mm they are both very accurate and very deadly I am sure that once I get my .308 sorted I’ll be able to replicate the 6.5mm performance.

I wish I had the motivation and wherewithal to make videos like the above but that ain’t gonna happen anytime soon. Walking all the way down the hill through the gully and up on the other side to inspect a billy takes up way too much energy thank you very much! But the slow-mo footage is worth it’s weight in gold. A similar example from recent efforts for me was a nanny shot at 310m, side on front shoulder shot. The goat was standing just in front of an exposed rock / hard earth knob. I saw a very large cloud of dust when the bullet struck and initially thought I’d missed until I saw the goat rolling down the hill. The bullet passed right through both shoulders with enough energy and weight to hit the bank behind with a lot of force. Couple of days later I walked down the spur the goat had been standing on and had a quick look at the carcass, it was pretty rough by then in the summer sun, but I inspected the entry and 2” exit, plus a sizeable hole in the bank behind. Didn’t find the bullet though which was a shame but it would have hit hard rock and either disintegrated or more likely ricocheted off.

I am converted. Believe the hype. Sorry you can’t seem to find many of them over there.

Jax

I’ve used the .308 178gr ELD-X factory ammo. Very impressed with it in terms of ballastics and stopping power on deer.

Have shot munty, CWD, Roe and Fallow with it so far and no complaints whatsoever apart from I can’t find any more factory ammo anywhere so going down the home load route.

Not normally a factory ammo fan, but it lives up to its name “Precision Hunter”.

Southern

I picked up a box of 7mm 150-gr ELD-X today, which I had ordered through a friendly gunsmith. Price was the same as I paid at a big box store for .308 178-gr and 6.5mm 143-gr: $38.00 / 100, a little pricey, but not terrible, and very promising.

Tedward1

Long bullet, so it takes up powder space. You will have to use a faster (normal powder ), but with a 20 inch barrel, you won't be able to achieve the 2,650 fps needed for 1,000 yards, but it will be good for over 600.

I have not tried loading this bullet yet, but can tell you to back down a bit, and use match primers in commercial brass:
Work up to :
43.0 gr Varget
44.0 gr RL-15
43.0 gr IMR-4064
Hi mate, hope you don't mind me asking on such an old thread - I looked in the Hornady 10th handbook, and for RL15 with the 178gr ELDx it's saying 43.5gr for 2300, up to 49.6gr for 2600 max. I saw you saying to work up to 44 RL15, and i'm about to start testing with 46-47.5gr. Do you think that's a bit much? Any advice to a relatively novice reloader would be appreciated! Thanks

dodgyknees

@Tedward1

STOP RIGHT THERE

Are you talking .308?

Please can you photograph and post the page in v10 of the reloading manual that specifies this load range for RL15 in .308 Winchester.

I have the v8 of the book and the load range for RL15 and this class of bullet is 34.8-41.4gr. I've also got the load data released with the 178gr ELD-X, which doesn't have RL15 as an option.

FCA49089-96C7-48E0-8BC7-880CC6A99C02.jpeg

844AF82D-C882-4A10-8083-C085E07B193B.jpeg

I plugged your numbers into the generic Quickload .308 model I run for quick bullet / load checks, and 46gr RL15 is way over max pressure. The book max you've quoted (49.6gr) is a definite trip to hospital assuming you've not got powder all over the work bench as it is 120% of the .308 case capacity.

What's up mate? Are you looking at data for a different bullet weight class, or a different cartridge?