Hornady ELDX .308 178gr

dodgyknees

OK.

Southern's numbers were for .308 Win. Pays to check eh?

Next problem. My v8 book says 41.2-47.5gr for .30-06.

What does v10 say again? Please check. Quite possible they've updated it. Curious to see.

Next next problem. RL15 is quite a fast powder for .30-06 and will result in a relatively low case fill ratio for your load range (86-88%).

You would be better off with something in the RL17 range. That's my opinion, others may differ. But general rule of thumb is select a powder speed that aligns with higher case fill ratio (in the mid-90s ideally) and just under 100% powder burn.

sparky9

Hi who stocks these bullets, or can someone recommend someone? Have any body used these bullets, where they good?

What will the best powder be for the bullet to run it in a 20inch 1:10 twist?

asking a lot of questions, just trying to work up a load.

regards
Simon
[/QUO

Last edited by a moderator:

dodgyknees

@Tedward, I've just modelled the .30-06 and the 178gr ELD-X using standard SAAMI specs, and the suggested propellant table is attached. I specified a case fill ratio of between 94-100%. You'll see RL17 near the top of the list.

Attachments

Tedward1

OK.

Southern's numbers were for .308 Win. Pays to check eh?

Next problem. My v8 book says 41.2-47.5gr for .30-06.

What does v10 say again? Please check. Quite possible they've updated it. Curious to see.

Next next problem. RL15 is quite a fast powder for .30-06 and will result in a relatively low case fill ratio for your load range (86-88%).

You would be better off with something in the RL17 range. That's my opinion, others may differ. But general rule of thumb is select a powder speed that aligns with higher case fill ratio (in the mid-90s ideally) and just under 100% powder burn.
Here you go! Strange, unless I’m reading this wrong? Thanks for taking a look...

Attachments

dodgyknees

No its all good, they change their load ranges over time, with more testing. What does it list on the first page of the .30-06 section, the pre-amble, has the test rifle changed? Sierra changed some of their test rifles in their latest edition, and the results are markedly different for some of the cartridges.

The v8 data is modelling low pressures, the v10 data max load (49.6gr) is right on the SAAMI max pressure using the COAL that's listed in the new book. That's interesting, as they don't usually run them that high. Interesting stuff!

So yeah, your suggested load range is sensible. But I'd still use a slower powder if I were you. I've found the sharper recoil and occasionally iffy accuracy of faster powders / low fill ratio isn't always the best way to go with the heavier pills, I did extensive testing in .308 with this bullet and found slower powder was measurably better than faster powder.

Tedward1

No its all good, they change their load ranges over time, with more testing. What does it list on the first page of the .30-06 section, the pre-amble, has the test rifle changed? Sierra changed some of their test rifles in their latest edition, and the results are markedly different for some of the cartridges.

The v8 data is modelling low pressures, the v10 data max load (49.6gr) is right on the SAAMI max pressure using the COAL that's listed in the new book. That's interesting, as they don't usually run them that high. Interesting stuff!

So yeah, your suggested load range is sensible. But I'd still use a slower powder if I were you. I've found the sharper recoil and occasionally iffy accuracy of faster powders / low fill ratio isn't always the best way to go with the heavier pills, I did extensive testing in .308 with this bullet and found slower powder was measurably better than faster powder.
That makes sense, thank you - I’ll try to get some RL17. Have been using RL16 in my 6.5 creedmoor but the recipes aren’t in the books - had some help and worked up a good load in that. At the moment I just have a load of RL15 so will try these and then go from there... dependent on what my local RFD has in stock!